Australian touring vehicle

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I've never seen a "Kewler " ....."Touring Expedition Vehicle"!

Great find on the website! :D

Me Likey!
tourbus.jpg

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Very cool.

Attachments

• IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 1

Tony LEE

International Grey Nomad
Most conversions involve cutting a hole in the roof and adding a pop-top.

www.tinyurl.com/35ra68 has details of one owner that ditched the passenger cab and built a camper body on the back. Fits in an open top 20' container.

And left hand drive too!!!
Ah, maybe not; that pic has been flipped.

I've owned an OKA for about ten years, very happy with it.

There's also http://www.okaownersgroup.info/tiki-index.php?page=Table+of+Contents which is the OKA Owners Group website; but most of it is inaccessible unless you're an OKA owner. You can see a few for sale on the lower right; and that one pictured before is the new model NT 003, which is for sale in that list.

markymark

People here either LOVE them or HATE them, and the debate rages on in internet forums evermore.

I love them and have been looking for one for a while now, but they only ever made about 400 all up and half of those were trashed by mining and tour companies. They are getting pretty hard to find a decent 2nd hand one. Don't know how serious they are with the new model coming out, but looks awesome.

Bluewater, the above poster, has one of the best looking ones around :drool:, c'mon man show us some pics. (i've seen it on 4wd action website).

Mmmm OK, I guess I'll count this as putting back for some of what I get out of this site... always hesitant coz I'm not wanting to be seen as showing off, but then I do love looking at other peoples' trucks myself...

P2090061a.jpg

I will have to get some new pics; the PVC tubes (for sand flags & fishing rods) have since been replaced with aluminium ones, rather more durable around low branches.

P1250010a.jpg

Removable front rack carries up to 225qts of coolers, or a fridge or two with a cooler or two. There are power outlets for the fridges on the bullbar and on the rack.

P1250099.jpg

Add-on bits like above are handy, especially on the beach.

P1250089a.jpg

Dana 60 front, Dana 70 rear, double shocks each corner... the Mag-Hytecs and Bilstein 7100s are my changes. The new OKAs (NT series) don't have Danas, they use something made in South Africa I think.

DSC03350a.jpg

Brilliant in the sand. A little heavy for the original motor (four-litre Perkins), though tolerable given the economy, but the new ones have plenty more power with a four-litre new technology Cummins. There is a hidden-away aluminium derrick and winch to get that spare on & off the roof. The standard spare lives under the bum but these tyres are a bit bigger.

tv_2008_03b.jpg

A 22" widescreen TV keeps the kids happy on rainy days... they're not all mine. :Wow1:

P1100017.jpg

There's that rack again, and I just fitted up a recovery gear box behind it; filling the wasted space. That's the lid sitting in front of it but the lid does still come off with the cooler in place.

2009_04_b640.jpg

Last one for now... hope you like it. The knockers are usually people who know OKAs from thrashed tour buses and mining vehicles. This one's 14 years old (built 04/1995) and gets looked after. She's been good to me.

P2070010a.jpg

engineer

Adventurer
I agree with you there Bluewater, the OKA certainly has made some enemies out there.
But they have made alot of dedicated followers as well, another Polariser, like land rover.
As a diesel fitter, i can honestly say that there are other vehicles around that i would rather work on, but i do love to drive the OKA. The second best vehicle to drive over large corrugations.

Mickldo

Adventurer
I don't mind the OKAs and I reckon yours is one of the best out there. Thanks for the photos, Bluewater.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I don't mind the OKAs and I reckon yours is one of the best out there. Thanks for the photos, Bluewater.

X2. Thanks. The first wide angle shot on the rock platform is awesome. Where were the pics taken? Not up towards Kalbari is it? At Lucky Bay?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach