Auto Trans ID

Rubicon51

Observer
Guys I'm looking to buy my second overlander rig. I'm going back and fourth from a 2nd gen trooper, Suzuki sidekick 4door and the 2nd gen monty. My plan is to find one that has the most aftermarket support and one that I can convert to VW TDI diesel with one of the TDI off the shelf kits. The only one that has such kit so far is the sidekick. But i'm leaning more to the trooper and monty.

My question is what auto transmission does the 2nd gen monty have? I've searched the web and forum for the answer and haven't found a solid answer. I've found AW30-40LE, Aisin???, and V4A51. What is the correct trans for a 4x4 3.5L monty 2nd gen pre sport model.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
The US models have AW3 Aisin, the V5A51 came in the GDi and MIVEC 3.5 late Gen 2's. Meaning you don't need a "kit" to swap a diesel, Just get the Aisin parts to match the diesel you want and it will bolt on with OEM parts. Remember though the gasoline AW3 uses a different valve body and other parts than the diesel so it won't perform to it's full potential (Neither will the Sidekick with the VW engine) but you can do a Transgo shift kit to help a bunch.

Toasty

The funny thing here as well is that the Montero has the most aftermarket support in your selection for once. The engines to look at are the Mitsubishi 4M40 and Toyota 1KZT diesels, obviously the 4M40 belongs in the Montero so it's an easier swap but the Yota is an option. Both are solid diesels. If you can, I would look for a 4M40 with the diesel trans attached and driveshafts. That get's you the best Diesel auto setup possible and it just bolts into your machine. Flip the trans crossmember and it will move the driveline to accommodate the diesel engine position, everything will bolt in place and you'll just need to sort your gauges which is pretty easy on the Gen 2. You can even drive the truck as soon as you have it bolted in and fuel plumbed with just the coil power wire connected to the diesel injection pump. This means you can shake down the new engine the same day you bolt it in.

Toasty

Gasoline Direct Injection and Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing Electronic Control

Toasty

Not options we got stateside so don't worry aboot it. You'll get the AW3 if you get an automatic.

Toasty

93-00 Yes, 87-92 have the smaller Aisin which is hydraulically controlled. It will take the smaller diesels though (4D55 and 4D56).

Rubicon51

Observer
These diesels you mentioned how hard are they to source? Any aftermarket support? injector, turbo upgrades? Would they both bolt up to the aw3? Is the model of the aw3 in the monty actually AW30(E)-40LE? Is this a good, tough trans? Is aisin built by toyota

Toasty

These diesels you mentioned how hard are they to source? Any aftermarket support? injector, turbo upgrades? Would they both bolt up to the aw3? Is the model of the aw3 in the monty actually AW30(E)-40LE? Is this a good, tough trans? Is aisin built by toyota

Easy, Enough, Yes, Yes, Yes, Very, Aisin is partially owned by Toyota.

Toasty

So, not to be a jerk but do you actually have the skill to pull off one of these swaps? I have to ask because this topic comes up a lot, even though the diesel swap is the easiest engine swap possible in a Montero very few actually attempt it (Mostly because it's not cheap).

Rubicon51

Observer
Thank you for the help. Just found this in my search I thought I'd share.
Sounds like very useful info. And an option to still go with the 1.9 tdi. By reading this it sounds like the AW3 and AW4 may have the same bell housing bolt pattern. If not it sounds like the bell housing may be interchangeable. And if so they will bolt up to a 2.0 tdi there are a few companies making the tdi swap kit into 4.0 jeeps. Just use the 4.0 bell housing on the aw3 and call it done.. well a start anyhow.
I didn't right this.

I know a lot of the people on here don't surf the dedicated tech forums so I thought I'd put this out there. This is kind of the unintentionally best kept secret in the Mitsu SUV off-road world.
:)

If you wheel the Montero or Montero Sport even a little, you've probably noticed that the t-case gearing sucks serious pond water.
1.9:1 is kinda ok if you're running the stock tires, but the minute you start up-sizing the tires to 32/33/35 - especially if retaining the tall A/T axles gears - your crawl ratio goes straight to hell in a hand basket.
>:D
>:D
:'(

The 'velocity method' of negotiating obstacles is VERY hard on a vehicle and not particularly safe. In my experience, a googly number of roll-overs and a lot of breakage are the result of having to 'power through' rather than crawl.

For some there are transfer case gear options. Mark's 4WD does still sell t-case gears for some of the Mitsu t-cases. Their options are 2.88 and 3, depending on the t-case. This is sufficient for most people's level of wheeling. Believe me, even 2.88:1 makes a HUGE, ENORMOUS difference! Mark's a great guy and he produces top notch stuff - but its not cheap.

In the '90s and early 2000s, Chrysler/Jeep used the Aisin Warner AW4 A/T in the Jeep XJ, ZJ - otherwise known as the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee. Toyota also used the same AW4 in the 4-Runner - the Toyota A340 series transmission.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the AW4 - NAXJA

A little known fact is that Mitsubishi ALSO used the Aisin Warner AW4 in the '90s Montero and Montero Sport. For the Montero Sport, the relevant years are '97 and '98 and is known as the AW3. Unfortunately, in '99 Mitsu changed to a completely different transmission - which is neither all that great for off-road apparently nor even remotely close to the AW4 so no 'easy' modifications. The model/serial tag attached to the transmission from a 1997 Montero Sport is shown below.

1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport AW4 Model Tag

The important thing to note here is that the AW4 is 'modular'. The bell housings as well as the rear adapter housings are removable. This allowed manufacturers to easily adapt the Aisin Warner transmission to their engines and transfer cases. Shown below is complete Mitsubishi 'AW4' with the removable bell housing on the right and the adapter housing for the Mitsu t-case on the left.

1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport 'AW4' Automatic Transmission

What is the point of this, you ask?
During the '90s and early 2000s Chrysler/Jeep used various New Process (NP) transfer cases. (see link below) Predominately, they ALL have BETTER gear ratios than our Mitsubishi t-case. Most importantly, they used these transfer cases and bolted them to the AW4 automatic transmission!

New Venture Gear - Wiki

The three NP transfer cases that are relevant in this context are the NP231 (Cherokee), NP242 (Grand Cherokee) and the NP241OR RockTrac (Wranger). These have ratios of 2.72:1, 2.72:1 and 4:1, respectively. These three are either a direct bolt on to the Jeep AW4 - NP231 & NP242 - or in the case of the 241OR, bolt on but may require minor modification(s). Note: The NP242 is selectable 2WD/4WD/AWD.

Like the Toyota, the Mitsu AW4 uses a different rear adapter housing and output shaft to allow the manufacturers to bolt their transfer cases to the transmission. These two pieces are, as noted above, interchangeable. Shown below is the Jeep Cherokee XJ adapter housing and the Jeep Cherokee XJ 23-spline output shaft used to allow Chrysler/Jeep to bolt the NP transfer cases to the AW4 A/T.

Jeep XJ Cherokee AW4 Adapter Housing - Transmission Side

Jeep Cherokee XJ AW4 Adapter Housing - Transfer Case Side

Jeep XJ Cherokee AW4 23 Spline Tailshaft

Yes, you probably guessed by now that if you replace the adapter housing and output shaft with the appropriate pieces you can bolt a Jeep NP transfer case to your 'Mitsubishi' automatic transmission.

So, you get lower t-case gearing. If anything, what else do you get? Cheap parts availability for one thing. NP transfer cases are very common. Most transmission rebuild shops will sell NP parts for less than it costs in gas to get there. Also, since they're very common, there's quite the aftermarket out there. Tera makes their Low 231 which is a 4:1 gear kit for the NP231 (and NP242 with modifications). Many companies make Slip Yoke Eliminators (SYE) - this converts the slip joke on the drive shafts (always problematic on Mitsus) to a fixed yoke. An absolutely mandatory off-road modification! Several companies also make 'crawl boxes' or 'doublers'. This is a second set of gears that sit in front of the transfer case between the transfer case and transmission. Typically, these add a second gear range option multiplying the transfer case ratio by the 'crawl box' or 'doubler' ratio. So, if the ratio in the crawl box is 2.72:1 and the range in the transfer case is 4:1, you effectively end up with a 3-speed 'transfer case'. Lo=2.72, Lo-Lo=4 and Lo-Lo-Lo=2.72*4 or 10.88:1. Several companies also make 'upgrade' kits for the NP transfer cases designed to increase the strength of the shafts, bearings, chain, etc. This is not an extensive list of reasons or options or even transfer cases.

Now, before everyone gets all excited like, this is still not an afternoon bolt in modification. On a scale of difficulty and require skills from 1 to 5, this would be a solid 4. It would require a fair amount of planning and organization, a small amount of fabrication, wiring and a lot of plain old grunt work.

Besides the easy part of swapping out the adapter housing and output shaft the minimum few other things that would be required ...

1. New transfer case shifter assembly
  2. Adapt the Jeep output sensor to the Mitsu TCU harness
  3. New front and rear drive shafts
  4. Adapt the NP 4WD switch to the Mitsu 2WD/4WD harness
  5. Run new t-case vent hose
  6. Mitsu dash cluster speedo conversion

Strongly recommended additional things ...

1. SYE kit for the rear drive shaft
  2. Transgo 340-HD2 shift improver kits (locks transmission in 1st when in 1st)

Again, nothing here is rocket surgery. In fact, nothing here is even new. Which is great if you're not really in the mood to reinvent the wheel and just want a functional upgrade.

The down side to all this is that the only Montero Sports that came with the AW4 are the '97s and '98s. This is great because if you have a '97/8, you already have the transmission, Transmission Control Unit (TCU), etc. There's almost nothing to this swap in that case.

If you have a '99 or newer, this gets a lot more complicated and involved. Its not impossible (it has already and is being done again), but its not for amateur back yard weekend mechanics with 1/2 a set of basic hand tools and it WILL change your vehicle in ways you may not really like and may not be able to live with if you use your vehicle for a DD. This is a serious investment in time, money and labor. On the same scale of 1 to 5, this is more like a 7.
On the other hand, if you're serious about wheeling your Sport, then this becomes a required modification.

I won't get into all the gory details here. If you want to see more of what's involved and so on, check out the link below.

1999 Limited 3.5L Crawler Build

Rubicon51

Observer
So, not to be a jerk but do you actually have the skill to pull off one of these swaps? I have to ask because this topic comes up a lot, even though the diesel swap is the easiest engine swap possible in a Montero very few actually attempt it (Mostly because it's not cheap).

JERK.....LOL just kidding. Not to be boastful but yes I do. Sure I don't know everything and will need help along the way. But i'm very resourceful, great at troubleshooting and thinking outside the box and OK at fab. Been working and building all sorts of on and off road toys thru the years and an engineer in professional life. So I believe I will be able to do this. And since this is no daily I have all the time I need. I'm OCD, everything has to be perfect.

plh

Explorer
The Mitsubishi hydraulic controlled transmission is the AW372 / KM148 / AW372L /V4AW2 typically found behind the 3.0l V6 or 2.6L I4 '89 and older for the I4- all about the same except the AW372L has a lock-up torque converter. Its good for about 325hp / Nm torque. Aisin (Aisin Seiki / Aisin Warner) is owned 30% by Toyota.

I may be mistaken, but the larger V4AW3 /AW30-40LE/A340F is difficult to integrate automatic shifting in a non-stock application without a very expensive controller from Australia. Toasty knows more.

Last edited:

Rubicon51

Observer
The Mitsubishi hydraulic controlled transmission is the AW372 / KM148 / AW372L /V4AW2 typically found behind the 3.0l V6 or 2.6L I4 '89 and older for the I4- all about the same except the AW372L has a lock-up torque converter. Its good for about 325hp / Nm torque. Aisin (Aisin Seiki / Aisin Warner) is owned 30% by Toyota.

I may be mistaken, but the larger V4AW3 /AW30-40LE/A340F is difficult to integrate automatic shifting in a non-stock application without a very expensive controller from Australia. Toasty knows more.

So if i find a monty with the 3.0 which one of these trans would it have?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven