Auto Trans ID

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
12 valve will have the hydraulic trans, 24 valve will have the AW3.

Toasty

Also...
20170317_103158-jpg.391804

Rubicon51

Observer
Toasty im not following that. PHL posted the aw3 was hydraulic. is it or isnt it? Are the 12 and 24 valve both the 3.0? Which trans will the 12 valve have?

Toasty

Toasty im not following that. PHL posted the aw3 was hydraulic. is it or isnt it? Are the 12 and 24 valve both the 3.0? Which trans will the 12 valve have?

That's an NP241OR behind my AW3 in my Montero. AW3 is electronic, the Toyota engines will take over controlling the trans if you were to swap a Yota engine. The 12 and 24 valve can both be a 3.0 but all 3.5's are 24 valve in Monteros, the 12 valve has a distributor.

Toasty

I've run a bunch of T-cases in Monteros over the years, a couple of Mark's gears and NP cases. The Mitsu T-cases are way more refined and stronger, the NP cases are sorta sh!tty but 4:1 is pretty awesome so i just deal with it and go easy on it.

Toasty

so a 12 valve 3.0 is hydraulic, ok. what transmission is that though? is it still an aw3?

Sorta, KM148 but i always call it an AW2 when it's a lock up. Mostly because locally it's how we all know what each other are talking about. PLH has it right i think, just remember V4AW3 will give you the bigger diesels and AW4 compatibility and the others run behind the smaller diesels and don't require a different tail housing to run Jeep T-cases.

The Mitsubishi hydraulic controlled transmission is the AW372 / KM148 / AW372L /V4AW2 typically found behind the 3.0l V6 or 2.6L I4 '89 and older for the I4- all about the same except the AW372L has a lock-up torque converter. Its good for about 325hp / Nm torque. Aisin (Aisin Seiki / Aisin Warner) is owned 30% by Toyota.

I may be mistaken, but the larger V4AW3 /AW30-40LE/A340F is difficult to integrate automatic shifting in a non-stock application without a very expensive controller from Australia. Toasty knows more.

Toasty

Which 2.0 VW are you looking at? A lot of those are gutless and might be terrible in a Montero, the later Passat engines are making about what the old 4M40 puts out though. Worth looking into.

Rubicon51

Observer
Which 2.0 VW are you looking at? A lot of those are gutless and might be terrible in a Montero, the later Passat engines are making about what the old 4M40 puts out though. Worth looking into.

ALH code 2.0 TDI. Stock 134 hp, 247 torque at 3500 rpm. with a malone stage 2 kit hp 175 and torque 305

Last edited:

Rubicon51

Observer
I need a transmission that will mate either to a jeep 4.0, chevy small block or totyota 22re. As these are the kits im finding for the tdi. Thats why I'm trying to find a tran either the aw3 or aw4 or hopefully the km148 that I can swap into the monty.

Rubicon51

Observer
https://www.roadkillcustoms.com/transmission-cross-reference/?Transmission=30-40LE (A340F)

you guys ever seen this site before? Its a transmission cross reference. According to this the jeep cherokee with 4.0 used the 30-40LE aka A340F until 1993. And the monty from 94-98. Is this correct? ah I thought for a min I had found the answer. But youve already said the a340 has a controller. I know there are some stand alone trans controllers out there. I will see what I can find.

Last edited:

Toasty

Gen 2 Monteros have stand alone controllers, there are variations too on how they're controlled. 93-95 have 1 speed sensor and 96-00 have 2 like the 2WD transmissions in the Lexus.

Toasty

The AW2 hydraulic controlled transmissions are similar but different enough to not take the bell housing or front pump from the AW3 or AW4 models

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven