Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

Presto88

Adventurer
Jeff. I just want to tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your process. I know it's not trivial to document everything like this, but your efforts are not in vain. I just feel like I've learned so much! Thank you.

If we ever meet, I owe you a beer.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That's looking great, jscherb! I really appreciate you sharing your process. I'm sure it inspires many of us to head into the garage. Great work!

Jeff. I just want to tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your process. I know it's not trivial to document everything like this, but your efforts are not in vain. I just feel like I've learned so much! Thank you.

If we ever meet, I owe you a beer.

Thank you very much, it's my pleasure. I'm really going to feel good the day I see a thread from someone starting a project saying they're going to build some fiberglass parts using things they learned from my project threads :).

ihatemybike

Explorer
Jeff, I really want to. I have ideas to replace the third row windows in my vans, I have a spare set of windows to serve as my master, I just need to get a bunch of other projects out of the way and completely clean out my garage.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff, I really want to. I have ideas to replace the third row windows in my vans, I have a spare set of windows to serve as my master, I just need to get a bunch of other projects out of the way and completely clean out my garage.
When you're ready to start that project if you need any advice or guidance I'll be happy to help if I can.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I met with the window company on Thursday to review the progress of the JK half door sliders. There are just a few details to finalize, but the windows are looking and fitting great. Here's one of the front sliders in a factory upper:

WindowGlass1_zpsrofjqmpq.jpg

WindowGlass2_zpsdmbo0pjd.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Since the JK Safari Cab is modular, one of the features I'm planning for it is the ability to swap out the hard side panels for roll-up soft sides. They were a part of the original design for my LJ Safari Cab, and I love running them in the summer, especially with half doors - I get an open air feeling but have the protection from the sun that the hard roof provides, as well as the ability to use the roof rack for cargo. A couple of trail shots:

LJSoftSidesV1_zpslzplzyuh.jpg

The original version of the LJ soft sides has three roll-up panels - two sides and the back. The back panel replaces the fiberglass barn door and adds to the openness. Here are a couple of JK 2dr concept drawings of the three-piece style roll-up sides:

JKSoftSidesV1_zpsilbknrbf.jpg

For the JK I've also drawn concepts that show a two-piece roll-up side set, which retains the rear panel and the fiberglass barn door. I figured this version would provide much of the open air feeling, but make it much easier for access to the inside through the back. With the three-piece set, for full access to the back you need to roll up the back panel. Here's the two-piece concept:

JKSoftSidesV2_zpsi1dbskoj.jpg

I decided that I wanted to test the idea of the two-piece roll-up set on my LJ this summer, so I took a little break from working on the JK Safari roof mold master to sew a two-piece set for the LJ. Here's what it looks like:

LJSoftSidesV2_zpsqrryy9mv.jpg

I just finished the sewing yesterday so I haven't had much time to run with it yet, but already I like keeping the barn for for easy access to the cargo area. It's slightly less open air than the three-piece version, but it's still a really nice driving experience.

I haven't decided which style soft sides I'll implement for the JK Safari Cab. I like both styles - I like the greater openness of the three-piece style but I also like the easy cargo access of the 2-piece style. Any opinions on which style you'd prefer to run with? Or would you rather just run the hard sides year round?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure if this idea is a smart one or a dumb one, but another idea I had for the fiberglass half door uppers I've been working on is to turn the bottom section into a storage compartment. Here's a mockup with a compartment cover I molded yesterday. The hole for the compartment hasn't been cut out of the main body of the upper yet, so I drew a compartment on the photo to show what it might look like. The cover would also have a latch, which could be a locking one. Before I decide to cut it I wanted to see what people think of the idea.

StorageCompartment1a_zpscojndjpi.jpg

Another way to this new fiberglass piece could be used is to cover it with foam and vinyl and install it on the upper as a padded armrest.

stomperxj

Explorer
As long as you blocked it off at each end to prevent losing small stuff I think it would be a good storage area for bungees or ropes or something.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A compartment could be put in the front uppers too, the same compartment cover fits. It's shown here on a factory upper because I haven't molded the fiberglass front uppers yet.

StorageCompartmentFront_zpsl7qaafwi.jpg

sseaman

Adventurer
I don't think the compartment would be a big selling point, maybe an extra but can't imagine paying extra if it were an option. To think I would like to have one of the original designs but it keeps getting cooler. It's kinda like a guy we camp with, we learned not to eat our food before him because he was always able to make something even better out of the same items. Your work is crazy good.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I don't think the compartment would be a big selling point, maybe an extra but can't imagine paying extra if it were an option. To think I would like to have one of the original designs but it keeps getting cooler. It's kinda like a guy we camp with, we learned not to eat our food before him because he was always able to make something even better out of the same items. Your work is crazy good.

Thanks for the input and the nice comment. Yeah, I'm not sure if the compartment would be a worthwhile addition to a commercial product, but I've always looked at the wasted space in most fiberglass half door uppers (including the ones I have on my LJ) and wondered if it would be worth using that space for something. Since I was able to make the compartment cover in the same mold I made the rear upper in and it only took a few minutes of fiberglass work, I thought I'd mock it up and see what people think of the idea. I've been thinking about it ever since I got my LJ uppers some years ago, now I've got it out of my system :).

lysol

Explorer
Actually, I could ask this here. Have you thought about offering a security mesh/bar over the glass or even a no-window option?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Actually, I could ask this here. Have you thought about offering a security mesh/bar over the glass or even a no-window option?

No, I've never thought about a security mesh/bar.

When the Safari Cab side panels come out of the molds, there are no window openings, the openings are cut after molding so assembling a Safari Cab with no windows would be easy.

The LJ Safari Cab with no side windows:

VanMockup10.jpg

A JK Safari Cab concept with no side windows (this concept also has rear door filler panels to make it a full-length panel-side Jeep):

OverlandPanel1_zpshmfjjzbm.jpg

BTW I don't "offer anything" or sell anything, I just design and build this stuff as a hobby :).

lysol

Explorer
No, I've never thought about a security mesh/bar.

When the Safari Cab side panels come out of the molds, there are no window openings, the openings are cut after molding so assembling a Safari Cab with no windows would be easy.

The LJ Safari Cab with no side windows:

VanMockup10.jpg

A JK Safari Cab concept with no side windows (this concept also has rear door filler panels to make it a full-length panel-side Jeep):

OverlandPanel1_zpshmfjjzbm.jpg

BTW I don't "offer anything" or sell anything, I just design and build this stuff as a hobby :).

I said "offer" and thought "design"... Just trying to get through this week and into the upcoming weekend... lol...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333