Best road signs

flywgn

Explorer
What a kick! I'm getting caught up Post Dakar. :)

BT, maybe that sign in Thailand had to do with peppers. :) :)

I've always loved the signs describing the impending disaster that awaits the unsuspectiing motorist/pedestrian, especially the car tipping off the dock or end of the road.

Below is a couple of my contributions.

Allen R

TeleScooby

Adventurer
Some of these are hysterical! And great reasons to use trustworthy translators...

I really wish I had a picture of this, I'll try to get one...it's in a town in the Cascade foothills east of here:

Picture a nursing home on one side of the street with a crosswalk in front. The sigh says 'caution' and pictures two elderly folks crossing with walkers...on the other side of the street is a cemetery.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Saw this sign south of Mullege on Mex 1 in Baja a few years ago...a few sage words for those in a hurry on this dangerous section of road basically translates to: "Better late than never".

RoundOut

Explorer
West of Cimmaron, NM on Hwy

At approximately 36*33'33" N and 105*2'59" W, on Highway 64, just west of Cimmaron, NM, viewable from the eastbound lane. Some vandals embellished this sign for greater impact, but it struck us as pretty funny at highway speed. We had to get a picture of it for this forum.

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
not really a 'road sign' (well, it was along the road) but something i had to get a picture of.

Atlas, IL
DSC02200.JPG

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
A couple of popular signs in Colorado:

Not sure why this one always gives me a chuckle - I think it's the hat.
CIMG0037.jpg

And of course this one:
34386632_7cef8ebc45_o.jpg

RoundOut

Explorer
Another "not really a road sign, but..."

Here's one on Hwy 36 between Fort Hood and Abilene, TX. I cannot recall exactly where it is, but a funny story accompanies it.

We were going to a relative's wedding in Abilene and did a double-take. We turned around and got some pictures of it. Just for the record, the bull in the picture was pissed that we were standing so close to his pasture.

Later that summer, we took some customers on a boondoggle to Vermejo Park Ranch near Raton, NM. The fly fishing is amazing there. Everyone caught fish, so we came up with some gags to pass out at dinner our last night.

I had framed up a photo of this marquis just for this purpose, LOL. "So for our catcher of the smallest fish, next year, instead of Vermejo, we're sending you on an all-expense-paid vacation to the Deep Bleep Cattle Company!"

Everyone was amazed at the photo, that someone really named their ranch that way.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
This place is between Sopchoppy and The Dog Island Ferry in Florida.

Its Hell because the Mosquitoes have Tattoos and they run in Packs. 3-4 hold you down while the other stick ya.

Here is the official story.

The Legend of TATE'S HELL...
A tale that has been told for many years recounts how Tate's Hell Swamp got its name. Local legend has it that a farmer by the name of Cebe Tate, armed with only a shotgun and accompanied by his hunting dogs, journeyed into the swamp in search of a panther that was killing his livestock. Although there are several versions of this story, the most common describes Tate as being lost in the swamp for seven days and nights, bitten by a snake, and drinking from the murky waters to curb his thirst. Finally he came to a clearing near Carrabelle, living only long enough to murmur the words, "My name is Cebe Tate, and I just came from Hell!" Cebe Tate's adventure took place in 1875 and ever since, the area has been known as Tate's Hell, the legendary and forbidden swamp.
Couple other funny signs I have been collecting off the net.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
These were signs along the road, but not really road signs. Yell at my if you wish.

baja07tim011.jpg

baja07tim080.jpg

baja07tim059.jpg

baja07tim054.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater