Best truck for the Apocalypse?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Lot of lead, and a stored hidden potable water supply.Then you have the ability to pick any vehicle you want at any given situation.

theksmith

Explorer
i think most streets will be covered in vehicles, so you'll need to be able to go around or over things and not count on roads.

so, a unimog, flatbed style with a tacoma on the back of it, and in the bed of the tacoma have a KTM 990 Adventure Dakar.

take tons of parts off other unimogs and carry them with you, if you ever run out of parts or break something you can't fix, you pull the taco and KTM off and drive that, again taking lots of parts in the bed for the taco.

as a last resort, or whenever you need to make sprints into town quickly and not get grabbed my a zombie, you use the KTM.

of course these vehicles will all need to be painted flat black with a rattle can.

and if you can teach yourself to fly an ultralight helicopter, that would be good to carry on the unimog too.

whatever you do, DO NOT forget the auto self destruct on all vehicles (the one that is triggered with any tampering).

for weaponry, just make sure you have a shlt load and stuff that is common to find rounds for. one exception to that rule would be to hit a base and load up on the army's new XM-25 gun and smart rounds - that thing is bad-a55.

762X39

Explorer
I already have the Unimog but my choice of vehicle will be my Cannondale touring bike or my Mountain bike, only water (good thing I have a Katadyn water filter) required to power it. Of course, I have lots of 7.62X25 to obtain anything else I might require...:coffee:

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I figure the gas and diesel will run out pretty dang fast during an apocalypse. Horses are great, but potentially require food if good grazing isn't immediately available. Of course, they can become food if the situation requires I suppose...

Bicycles are good too, but will still require maintenance as will any vehicle and considering it's you know, the apocalypse, I'm assuming that most parts stores and departments won't be open for business.

I figure all I will really need is whatever vehicle that has fuel that I can hot-wire to get me to where I want to be and then all I will need are a pair of these (Irish Setter Elk Hunter's) to keep me going for while:

a sailboat, take fishing gear, theres your unlimited food, cooking would be hard but doable im sure, the sea is your bathroom, take a water purifier and your good, learn how to sail i suppose

jay3253

Adventurer
Check Unimog with horse trailer and motorcycle and bicycle and horse. That is not the way I was going but now I have a few things to buy before 21 December 2012.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
funny how on every forum or campfire where this question comes up no one ever guess my suggestion...
an old tractor
think about how you can burn almost any fuel/oil/veggie matter, low gears to get around or push the junk laying in your way, easy to pull a trailer or go off the road, super easy to repair and plenty of parts in the rural areas you are running away to.
yep old tractor and trailer all the way

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
funny how on every forum or campfire where this question comes up no one ever guess my suggestion...
an old tractor
think about how you can burn almost any fuel/oil/veggie matter, low gears to get around or push the junk laying in your way, easy to pull a trailer or go off the road, super easy to repair and plenty of parts in the rural areas you are running away to.
yep old tractor and trailer all the way
Tractors are too cute; somebody needs to do a Mad Max Kubota styling exercise to drum up interest.

And back to my horse answer. You can always eat your horse if you have to; you can't eat a tractor or a Mog.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I gotta ask- where are you going?? We talk this through every so often, and we're staying put, a few hundred gallons of diesel and a decent 4x4 tractor at the ready... Surrounded by cows and farm land, one donkey, and 100 miles to coast, 100 miles to mtns, poured reinforced concrete foundation and a weapon or two :) the crossbow being my choice, and the Great Dane is part of the family. The Tdi Rover perhaps, but seriously, I kinda like the Kubota with an endloader bucket turned MadMax- 72" tires, 4x4, and a fording depth of about 9' I guess?!

GTABurnout

Explorer
Man I was hoping there would be another one of these threads. I mean come one the other 15 don't nearly cover the subject of a old noncomputerized truck nearly well enough.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I gotta ask- where are you going?? We talk this through every so often, and we're staying put, a few hundred gallons of diesel and a decent 4x4 tractor at the ready... Surrounded by cows and farm land, one donkey, and 100 miles to coast, 100 miles to mtns, poured reinforced concrete foundation and a weapon or two :) the crossbow being my choice, and the Great Dane is part of the family. The Tdi Rover perhaps, but seriously, I kinda like the Kubota with an endloader bucket turned MadMax- 72" tires, 4x4, and a fording depth of about 9' I guess?!

Well, you've been smart enough to gear your lifestyle such that staying put is a good choice. Kudos to you! :victory:

Southern California is primarily desert terrain. There are some open green park areas near me that could be tillable land but supplying them with water is a huge PITA. For me I would plan to stay put for a while and then bug out if there was no end to The End Of The World As We Know It

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77