BFG "Rugged Terrain" (OH NO, ANOTHER TIRE THREAD!)

I didn't read every post, but I swapped my "rugged trail" stock tires on my nissan for the cooper "discover at3" tires, and like them much more. Way less road noise and seeming better grip. Similar mileage, maybe one or so less. But it IS a teeny bit more aggressive than the stock bfg, and has a lot better traction I found on snowy roads. (Though that also could be because my bfg tires were worn and in need of replacing anyway.) however I found the coopers to be a better tire, even for daily driving use

I recommend you read at least one post. We are discussing the BFG Rugged Terrain, not the BFG Rugged Trail. Two totally different tires.

BFG Rugged Terrains on Hutchison Beadlocks.
10809966704_c59da8259c_b.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I may try rt next time. Even tho my ats are exceeding my expectations in every way. I like them way better than my coopers for my style of off roading.
Sent from my SGH-T899M using Tapatalk

FJC-4x4

I had BFG Rugged Trail (265/75R16) on my FJ Cruiser and sold them after 1 summer of use (I have dedicated winter tires). I scratched one on a side walk and I had to condemned it to the spare position because two chucks of rubber got taken out on the side wall. Yes they're cheap to buy, but they're not much to look at either.

I just finished reading Overland Journal tire comparison and I think it would be a good investment for you to get a copy. Unfortunately, they didn't test the tires I have on right now, but still a good read.

PS: post #15 had a good suggestion.

fla_cracker

Observer
My 2006 4runner that I bought this year came with 265/70/17 terrains. I don't know how old or how many miles are on them. But.......

Living in Florida I can tell you that they work really well during our summer afternoon torrential rain. I drive alot of highway and haven't had any hydroplaning. And without measuring I would put them at 50% tread.

I couldn't even guess about snow/ice performance. ....lol

They do good in sand also.

tacollie

Glamper
Interesting that a lot of you have had good experiences in the snow. I have two friends running them that say they are horrible. One set on a Kia sportage and one set on a Honda Pilot. The one with the Pilot said his Sprinter was better in the snow which is not a good thing. Are there different compounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fla_cracker

Observer
Probably has alot to do with vehicle weight......psi greatly affects tire performance. Thats why a truck with a bed full of fire wood pulls better on snow than an empty bed truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven