Birth of My Kimberley Karavan

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I like the structure they clearly have lots of experience working with Aluminum trailer frames. They have the axle area integrated into the primary rails on the trailer fewer chances for cracked welds or high stresses stressing joint/weld areas across the load point of the frame. Nice trailer!! Very impressive!

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I like the structure they clearly have lots of experience working with Aluminum trailer frames. They have the axle area integrated into the primary rails on the trailer fewer chances for cracked welds or high stresses stressing joint/weld areas across the load point of the frame. Nice trailer!! Very impressive!

The frame is actually galvanized steel. There is tons of aluminum in other areas of the trailer but not in the frame it self. Thanks. I agree the design is pretty beefy. I don't expect any failures.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Nice of you to meet with the new owners Brad! :)

Thank James. It was fun. They had come down to my place in Prescott to see mine before making their purchase. Plus I had to pick up my Pirate "Bundy rum" that Bruce brought for me on their delivery.

Septu

Explorer
I camped at Valley of Fire State Park last weekend with a couple that just imported the 3rd Karavan to the US. Duo Glamping is fun stuff. :sombrero:

Valley%20of%20Fire%2012-2014-37-XL.jpg

They towing theirs with a JK? I wonder how that is...

croix

Observer
I had them build a 40 cell 200AH LiFEPO4 battery pack that installed in the same location as the original AGM batteries.

Now that you've had this setup for a couple of years are you still happy with it? Any issues?

It seems that his setup is significantly more expensive than an AGM setup. Their website doesn't have pricing info, but the P18 Evaluation System (108 aH) with 3 P18 packs, VMS, IM, and software is over $2800. I'm not opposed to spending money when it's worth it, but that's a pretty big chunk. Would you say that your setup was worth the cost vs. an AGM setup that could produce similar net amp-hours?

Thanks - Croix

BTW - love your photos!

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Hi Croix,

I am still loving my LiFePo4 batteries. I have to agree, the route I went was very expensive. That was due to the high C-ratings on their Lithium cells. For RV use, high C-ratings should not be required. Even my max draw rate probably only uses a small fraction of the battery's ability to deliver current. My thought was by using such a small percentage of the battery capability, I would be extending the cycle life of the battery cells and end up with a pack that will last me a very long time. Time will tell if am correct or not. :)

I expect with a little searching, you can find a quality LiFePo4 battery pack that is say C5 rated that would be half the cost. It would still be a lot more than AGM batteries but I feel they are worth it in the long run.

Mine have worked flawlessly for over two years now. There several Karavan owners in Australia that have switched over to Lithium as well. That is where I got the initial idea. Reading about their experience matches mine and they are all very happy with the increased power and what appears to be a very stable long term battery solution.

Thanks for the kudos on my photos. I get a bit carried away with it.

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
The frame is actually galvanized steel. There is tons of aluminum in other areas of the trailer but not in the frame it self. Thanks. I agree the design is pretty beefy. I don't expect any failures.

Not sure if you ever considered an Airstream but in my research I've become quite surprised that they are not galvanized! Considering the cost of a new Airstream $45k - $100+ and the relatively simple process of having a facility hot dip them, why they aren't galvanized?! When I started seriously considering an Airstream at $70k-$90k, it seemed prudent to also look more closely at any trade offs in the Kimberly 2 axle model. The only thing Airstream seems to win on is interior space but then again, the balance there is the Kimberly being able to get into many more locations as well as being more maneuverable in general situations.

The comparisons between build quality and materials chosen is the biggest reason I find the Airstream to not be much of a value when put in comparison.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Both the Airstream and Kimberley products are well made I think. I just have them targeting different markets in my mind.

If you are sticking to well maintained roads and want the increased inside room and comforts, the Airstream would be a nice solution.

For me, I put being able to get back into rugged back country camping spots is way up the list of priorities. The Kimbeley products are designed for just that.

If you are seriously looking into the option, the current currency exchange rate give US buyers a 25% discount off the list price. That is one nice discount to consider. :)

Canyonlands%20Dollhouse%20Trail-46-X2.jpg

Canyonlands%20Dollhouse%20Trail-38-XL.jpg

Canyonlands%20Dollhouse%20Trail-19-XL.jpg

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Wow those are amazing articulation and manuvering shots....Kimberly really needs to use those in some adverts

Glad to see you getting your money worth out of the trailer.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Wow those are amazing articulation and manuvering shots....Kimberly really needs to use those in some adverts

Glad to see you getting your money worth out of the trailer.

They have the photos. :)

That was going from Teapot Canyon out to the Dollhouse in the canyonlands up in Utah.

To be honest, it was bit extreme for me. I about peed myself. We had to use the winch three times on the way out to pull myself up over rock steps. I am too old for this crap. :)

Right after that one jackknifed pic was taken the trailer lifted up a bit more and punched out my rear tail light lens on the 4Runner.

KOA campgrounds are looking pretty good to me now. :sombrero:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
To be honest, it was bit extreme for me. I about peed myself. . . . I am too old for this crap. :):sombrero:
Thanks for admitting that, my friend. I was loving the photos, but was worried that you'd forgotten you were towing a trailer. ;)

pjpvi

Observer
That is incredible that you took the trailer all the way to Dollhouse. Was just there with my Sportsmobile end of May (trip report http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16494). It is a long haul from Tea Pot to Dollhouse, but fun (my wife may say otherwise). I have been eyeing these trailers and contemplating if I could get them into places like this. Thanks for proving you can!

Phil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3