Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
I thought that fiberglass molds were only for "big" companies.
Stephen

That's the beauty of fiberglass, if someone has the' skill set' they can make a mold and start laying up panels, but it's like any other Craftsman's profession, takes a lot of experience and knowledge to be good.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That is really amazing work. I thought that fiberglass molds were only for "big" companies. You are certainly committed to quality work! Do you have a supplier for your design yet?

Thanks for sharing,

Stephen

Thank you.

I am in conversations with several companies that have expressed an interest in manufacturing and/or marketing the tub kit, but nothing's finalized yet.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That's the beauty of fiberglass, if someone has the' skill set' they can make a mold and start laying up panels, but it's like any other Craftsman's profession, takes a lot of experience and knowledge to be good.

It doesn't take much to get started, and you can learn by reading and doing.

I'm doing all of this work in my home workshop and garage; this is my second big fiberglass project. My first big fiberglass project was much more complex than this trailer kit, I called it the "Safari Cab" hardtop (and the same molds were used to make the prototype camper top the Safari LJ is towing, which is unfinished in this photo):

CamperTwins1.jpg

Before that, I had done two small projects, I made the rear fenders for my Retro Wrangler pickup (the red one below), and the rear fenders for my Gaucho CJ pickup (the primer one below):

Retro0811.jpg

GauchoF2.jpg

That's the sum total of my fiberglass experience. I learned it while making those fenders, and once I succeeded at those, I decided to go for it and do the Safari Cab.

It's like anything else that can be learned - I did a lot of reading and studying every source I could find, and then just started right in making things.

BTW the Retro Wrangler was my first custom vehicle project, I did that in 2008, so I'm pretty new at building stuff like this.

I have one more big fiberglass project planned, I'll start that in January after this trailer tub kit project is behind me.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I was talking with someone the other day who runs a company that sells a lot of roof-top tents for camp trailers, and he told me that many in the Expedition crowd would prefer a side-swinging tailgate for easier access to the rear cargo area of the trailer. One option would be to install a Wrangler tailgate on the trailer tub:

WranglerTailgate.jpg

But a fiberglass side-swing tailgate could also be made. It turns out I've already got the mold for it - I basically made the master for it when I made the filler panel that was used to make the mold for the solid end panel:

SolidEndPrepped1.jpg

I could easily mold an outer tailgate skin in the existing solid end panel, mold, only molding the area within the dotted line:

SmoothSkinMold.jpg

This tailgate would use the same inner skin as the drop-down CJ-style tailgate I made earlier in the week. Two possible benefits of the completely smooth outer tailgate skin - it would be easy to mount accessories on it, no logos or other obstructions to get in the way, and it would be less "Jeeplike", for people who might want to tow this trailer behind a Toyota, say, and wouldn't want it looking so much like a Jeep.

For hardware, Gr8Tops Exogate heavy-duty hinges could be used (they're on the Wrangler tailgate in the first photo in this post),

ProdHinges2.jpg

... and for a latch, a locking paddle latch like the one below could be used:

PaddleLatch.jpg

He also said it could be a good idea to put a drop-down shelf on the inside of the side-swinging tailgate to function as a platform for a kitchen. The trailer in this photo I found at SEMA seems to have both - a shelf for a kitchen, and a swing-out kitchen:

TentTrailer7-1.jpg

Comments from the tent camper guys?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I finished modifying/assembling the HF frame for the proof-of-concept trailer this morning. I started with the HF 94564 "heavy duty" frame (HF catalog photo below):

HF94564.jpg

Here's the modified version:

ModFrame1.jpg

ModFrame2.jpg

ModFrame3.jpg

ModFrame6.jpg

ModFrame7.jpg

It works with 5-on-4.5 wheels and Jeep factory alloy wheels with the tiny center holes, and large enough tires so that you can share a spare between the trailer and your Jeep; these are 31" tires.

Main mods were shortening the frame to 4'x4', using the "leftover" pieces from shortening to add the center backbone; narrowing the frame 4" so large tires don't hit, and installing receivers at both ends.

I spent about 5 hours on the modification and assembly. The only tools necessary were wrenches, a drill, and an angle grinder with a cutoff disk (well, except for re-welding the spring seats on the axle, but if you didn't have a welder, that would probably cost you $20 at a local welding shop).

Cost was $320 for the frame plus two HF receiver tubes. And of course the wheels/tires, but I had them on hand.

The next step is to mount the fiberglass tub on the frame.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Great build! I'm doing the same thing but in metal.
<<image omitted>>
Looks good!

Projects like yours are what inspired me to build this fiberglass tub kit. I figured a lot of people would like to have a trailer like this, but either don't have the necessary tools or the skill to do all that sheet metal welding, but they'd be able to bolt together a fiberglass kit.

What's the exact length of your tub (outside dimension?) Just wondering if one of these tonneau covers would be the right length to fit it, looks like it would be close:

TailgateFit2.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I made up a coupler this morning for the trailer frame. While I was at it, I shortened the tongue a little, I thought it was getting a bit long. The distance from the front of the tub to the coupler ball is now 54". That still leaves plenty of space on the tongue to swing open the Wrangler tailgate and still fit a storage box or whatever else one might want to mount there.

I also remembered I had an old trailer jack/wheel in my parts pile, so I threw that on although it may need to be mounted a few inches further back to clear the open tailgate on the Wrangler tow vehicle, I haven't checked that yet. I put on the safety chains as well.

Tongue1.jpg

Tongue2.jpg

Tongue3.jpg

The frame is completely done now, except that it has to be disassembled so I can paint every edge I cut and every hole I drilled to prevent rust and then reassembled.

Got4wd

Looks good!

Projects like yours are what inspired me to build this fiberglass tub kit. I figured a lot of people would like to have a trailer like this, but either don't have the necessary tools or the skill to do all that sheet metal welding, but they'd be able to bolt together a fiberglass kit.

What's the exact length of your tub (outside dimension?) Just wondering if one of these tonneau covers would be the right length to fit it, looks like it would be close:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc163/jscherb/Camper/TailgateFit2.jpg[/IMG

][/QUOTE]

I know, when I saw that I ran out and measured mine. Mines 49" bummer

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I know, when I saw that I ran out and measured mine. Mines 49" bummer

Unfortunately you fall in between the two tonneau lengths Gr8Tops sells. I'm using the tonneau for an LJ with a "short" half cab. They also have what they call an "XTop" half cab, which is 2.5 inches longer, meaning the tonneau is 2.5 inches shorter - but that tonneau would be slightly too short for your tub. Oh well.

grimbo

Explorer
I reckon the side opening tailgate with a drop down table on the inside would be the way to go for the camping user. Easy to get into the tub whilst offering a good size work area on the table.

Awesome job by the way

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I reckon the side opening tailgate with a drop down table on the inside would be the way to go for the camping user. Easy to get into the tub whilst offering a good size work area on the table.

If it looks like the kit is going to go to market I'll make up a prototype side-swinging tailgate in fiberglass for whatever company is going to manufacture/market the kits; then they can decide which tailgate(s) to offer. The tailgate will be made in the existing molds as I described in post 141, so it's pretty easy to do one.

Awesome job by the way

Thanks!

bluejeep

just a guy
"Comments from the tent camper guys? "

I'm torn - A gate style tailgate with drop down (or swing up) table on the inside of the gate, or a drop down tailgate?

I can see benefits to both, but I do have a preference. I've not changed my TJ tailgate to a dropdown yet but plan to.

I've always thought the dropdown tailgate would be stronger for those unfortunate times you need a 'workbench' to fix something that broke. And you can rest whatever container you're getting into on the tailgate while you get stuff out you're going to use. If the trailer is the longer version, access to stuff in the tub would be eased by slide out drawers (but that get's into more $).

At any rate, my vote is is for the dropdown style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism