Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Work it...

I'm headed off to scrape and clean my jeep stuff before the parts get here for my tranny swap. I'll try and organize my thoughts and get back to you. :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
how about a way to mount cross bars to it, so that there could be a small kayak or other such things on top?
I've already hauled stuff that way, nothing really special is required. I had to bring a Safari Cab roof back from South Carolina, and it's just a little too big to fit inside the trailer, but a little too small to fit on top of it, so I used 2x3 crossbars. They're bolted to the top of the tub through holes just like you'd have for mounting a hardtop on a Jeep. Works great, costs almost nothing.

In this case I used conduit clamps screwed into the 2x3's and hooked over the roof's drip rail to secure the roof to the bars, but it would be easy to tie down a kayak to the bars with ratchet straps.

TrailerTonneau1.jpg

ProjectLoad1.jpg

I keep these crossbars around for hauling big things, some day I'll probably end up bringing a Jeep tub home on them for a project :).

If you want a high-tech Yakima solution, maybe the company that's bringing the kits to market will offer something like that.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
ah, cool. i did not know how a jeep hard top mounted, so i was not aware of holes there.

The fiberglass tub kit wouldn't come with holes there, but you could easily drill them just like the factory tubs have.

Edit: Or, if you didn't to drill holes in the top edge of the tub, you could use a j-hook through the 2x3 and hooked under the top edge of the tub.

Espo78

Adventurer
As far as your rear stabilizer bar what if you had Y shaped piece that fits in the 2" reciever. A few inches past the reciever a hinge could be placed so that while traveling the Y stands vertical behind the trailer. At each end of the Y a trailer stand could be attached also on hinges so when the Y is upright the legs of the stand become folded down. Kind of hard to explain on here so I hope that makes sense.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
As far as your rear stabilizer bar what if you had Y shaped piece that fits in the 2" reciever. A few inches past the reciever a hinge could be placed so that while traveling the Y stands vertical behind the trailer. At each end of the Y a trailer stand could be attached also on hinges so when the Y is upright the legs of the stand become folded down. Kind of hard to explain on here so I hope that makes sense.
Thanks, yes I understand.

I've decided I'm going to add two "semi-hidden" receivers as I described in post 252: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ss-Jeep-tub-trailer-kit?p=1015186#post1015186. I picked up an 18" receiver tube today at HF for less than $13, I'll cut two shorter pieces out of that and bolt them to the bottom of the frame. I also ordered the stabilizer jacks, 2 for about $32 plus shipping, I'll mount them to pieces of 2" tubing to slide into the receivers. I'll set up the tubes with holes on all sides, so the legs and be removed, rotated 90 degrees and reinserted so they take up less ground clearance when not in use.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I cut the HF receiver into two pieces of proper length for the stabilizer mounts, here's a photo of one of them clamped in place. I drew a few lines from the tires to the back of the nerf bars and the back of the main receiver to show that they do not affect departure angle/ground clearance when nothing is inserted in them:

StabilizerReceiver2.jpg

And because they're tucked up under the frame, they're not very obtrusive:

StabilizerReceiver3.jpg

StabilizerReceiver4.jpg

I'll finish this up when the stabilizer jacks arrive.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
i have been looking at this picture and wondering. with those 31" tires, how high off the ground does the coupler sit while relatively level?

The bottom of the coupler is about 19" off the ground when the trailer is sitting level.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The stabilizer jack receivers are now mounted to the frame:

StabilizerReceiver5.jpg

They're going to work out very nicely. Now just waiting for the stabilizer jacks I ordered to arrive. Also waiting for my RTT to arrive, haven't heard from the shipping company yet :(.

RareSS

I hope that whoever builds these tubs, will also scale down the top to fit the tub. With a hinge system, it would make a nice hardtop enclosed trailer. ;) (hint)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77