Box Rocket Homemade trailer build.

Box Rocket

Haven't done anything to the trailer for quite a while, but finally got around to installing the tongue jack yesterday. Hooray, no more jackstand to hold up the tongue. I picked up an inexpensive HF tongue jack and bolted a HD swivel caster to the skid so I can roll it around easier.

The jack is one that uses a tube welded to the side of the tongue with a pin to hold it in the vertical or horizontal position. I doubt I'll ever even leave it attached in the horizontal position. Easier to just pull it off and not risk any damage to it. The holes for the pin and the male end that is welded to the tongue are a little loose for my taste so I'm working on getting those to have a little tighter fit. I think I can weld a small bead around the male end to snug that up, and maybe use a slightly larger pin to take care of the rest of the slack.

All in all, it should work out just fine.

Box Rocket

What capacity springs are you using?? How are they working out?

OME Dakars. Only one spring rate. Oops, thought I was posting in a different thread.

I'm using trailer springs that came with my 3500# axle. I'm sure they're on the stiff side, but with a lower psi in the tires is has been handling really well.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Adam, I have a similar jack, and the same problem with slop in the mounting holes. A larger pin might just be the easiest solution.

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I have to agree.....easier to load from the rear when hinged from the front, but if you are going with a RTT later i would consider hinging from the side as it is much easier to open from the side with the tent deployed.

Lowrange2

Adventurer
Hey,

I love this trailer. I've been thru this whole thread several times and I think I over looked the overall dimensions of your box. Do you have a ball park tub dimension you can give me? WxLxD?

Thanks! Andy

Box Rocket

Haven't changed much of anything for a long time on this thing. It's been working really great for what I want it to do so I've left it alone. Last week I got rid of the worn out 285's that were on it and put on some 315's that I had taking up space in the garage. That works out better since the tires now match the size on the Land Cruiser and it also raises the ride height of the trailer slightly to sit more level when I tow it behind the Tacoma. Win Win.

_MG_5327.jpg

JamesDowning

Explorer
Hey Adam, love the trailer. I'm curious about the trailer top tent... what kind is that? I don't ever recall seeing one like that before... I didn't see any details about it in this thread. Maybe I missed it.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Hey Adam, love the trailer. I'm curious about the trailer top tent... what kind is that? I don't ever recall seeing one like that before... I didn't see any details about it in this thread. Maybe I missed it.

I'm not Adam but I can answer the question. Its a first generation Mombasa. They were importing them to the US in late 2006 and 2007, by summer of 2007 they had their 'Expedition' model on the market and the generation one was discontinued. Its still a popular tent as it offers a large platform and bang for the buck its a great tent. I had one of the early tents they had here in the US for a handful of trips in late 2006, I sold it in early 2007 and the owner to my knowledge is still using it on a hunting rig. With a little TLC and some upgrades they can be a good option for a very entry level tent. Some more tent info and pics in my tent tech thread here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333