Box Rocket Homemade trailer build.

bajalenny

What is the measurements on your box and how wide are you out side of wheel, and whats your thoughts on a longer trailer like the Outlander

Box Rocket

The box on mine is roughly 4x6'. The track width was made to match my FZJ80 and that info is somewhere in this thread. I don't remember off the top of my head but I think it was something like 78". As for a longer trailer, I think they are just fine if it works for the terrain you plan to travel in. I built by trailer at a time where I planned to pull it behind an FJ40 on the Rubicon so clearance and approach and departure angles were critical so I couldn't make it too large. But for typical overland type travel a slightly longer trailer should be fine.

bajalenny

Thanks Adam !!! Found the measurements on Eds Outlander build and it look to be 4 x 6 with a 4' tongue, im going to find some side boxes and start building as soon as i get back from Baja, Thanks again Lenny

JeepGoesBeep

Hey Box Rocket, I have a quick question on your telescoping rack that you built. I was wanting to do something similar but I cant seem to find a wall thickness that works out well on the bottom portion that the legs slide into. I decided to go the same route as you with 1 1/2" for the bottom and 1 1/4" for the legs of the rack.

On the bottom pieces I either have 14gauge with an ID of 1.334 that has a lot of slack in it or 11 gauge that seems to be too tight of a fit with an ID of 1.260; which by the time I account for the inner seam of the weld just seems way too tight. Did you use thinner walled tubing on the lower pieces than 1/8" or did you find something that worked well...or? Ive done some research and they do make tubing for telescoping builds but its expensive. Thanks for the help and love the latest pics :)

Box Rocket

I must have gotten lucky. I'm using 1/8" wall for the lower pieces. It's probably not a bad thing if there is a little "slop" in the setup. It will keep it from binding and probably allow for a smoother movement. The gas struts will keep it from rattling because there will be constant pressure and it will be held in place with the lock pins.

Box Rocket

We haven't been running it this way for quite a while now. We picked up an 80 series cruiser that handles the family wheeling trips. Sold the topper for the Tacoma, and now it just has a bedrack and RTT on the back.

JeepGoesBeep

I must have gotten lucky. I'm using 1/8" wall for the lower pieces. It's probably not a bad thing if there is a little "slop" in the setup. It will keep it from binding and probably allow for a smoother movement. The gas struts will keep it from rattling because there will be constant pressure and it will be held in place with the lock pins.

Thats the direction I was leaning but was worried about the wall being too thin to support the pins and gas struts. I dont really know if thats even an issue to be honest since theres only like 1/32 of an inch difference in thickness...

NORCALROOTS

Adam,

Where did you source your fenders? Apologies if you listed in your thread, but I couldn't seem to find it.

Thanks,

Brian

Box Rocket

Adam,

Where did you source your fenders? Apologies if you listed in your thread, but I couldn't seem to find it.

Thanks,

Brian

I found my fenders at a local Trailer/RV supply store. Most of the ones they had were only 8" wide but I was lucky to find some 10" wide fenders there one day and with the addition of the CJ flares they give good coverage. State Trailer Supply in Salt Lake City is where I got mine, if that helps.

PHeller

Adventurer
Adam, you sell some of your projects, would you consider making a lift-strut system that would lift a truck topper for the Tacoma?

Basically, something like a $1300 "TopperEZlift" but maybe half the price or less?

I'm 90% sure I could build something like your lift system for my topper as this guy did over at Tacoma World, I just don't have access to all the metal fab stuff...and more importantly the welder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven