Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

Ziggster

Where did you get the that cigarette lighter socket panel in the one picture. I am looking to add a few to my Xterra for my more perminantly fixed accessories.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Ziggster said:
Where did you get the that cigarette lighter socket panel in the one picture. I am looking to add a few to my Xterra for my more perminantly fixed accessories.

The three-outlet 12v powerblock came as an option on the Leer topper. It is connected to the main truck battery, at some point I want to change it to run off a second battery.

I have seen three-outlet powerblocks at auto parts stores. Or maybe you could order one from a Leer dealer.

Arivalsend

Adventurer
Rack basket

the truck is looking great. I am ordering chains as we speak and your link is very helpfull and I was torn about where to source these. I wanted to ask you about your loadwarrior. I am looking into buying one and I wanted to see if you have had good luck with yours? I am running a basic yakima rack off of my topper and would be looking at the loadwarrior without a extension. How is it for strength and rigidity? Have you had any issues or complaints with it? Thanks very much and keep those northland shots coming!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Arivalsend said:
the truck is looking great. I am ordering chains as we speak and your link is very helpfull and I was torn about where to source these. I wanted to ask you about your loadwarrior. I am looking into buying one and I wanted to see if you have had good luck with yours? I am running a basic yakima rack off of my topper and would be looking at the loadwarrior without a extension. How is it for strength and rigidity? Have you had any issues or complaints with it? Thanks very much and keep those northland shots coming!

I'm happy the link for the chains helped.

I am using the Thule m.o.a.b. basket, and I have never used the Yakima, so I am not a big help with the Load Warrior. As far as my Thule basket goes, I am very happy with it. The only complaint I have is the connection of the two halves, they could be srtonger IMO. But with four bars under it it is very rigid, no worries at all.

I just pulled up a drawing of the Load Warrior, and the connection of the pieces looks much better than on my Thule. But give those connections a good look over, and if they seem a bit weak, using four load bars will make it very solid.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Arivalsend said:
I wanted to ask you about your loadwarrior.
Quick hijack: I bought a Load Warrior 2 years ago and have used it maybe 3 times. It's well built and easy to install/remove but it's only rated for something like 150-180lbs. If you're going to carry a bunch of Jerry Cans, Hi-Lift, etc. it's probably better to go with a GOBI or African Outback model. If you need a spot to store bulky drybags or lighter-weight gear, the LW will work fine.

201737068-M.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
HMR said:
Quick hijack: I bought a Load Warrior 2 years ago and have used it maybe 3 times. It's well built and easy to install/remove but it's only rated for something like 150-180lbs. If you're going to carry a bunch of Jerry Cans, Hi-Lift, etc. it's probably better to go with a GOBI or African Outback model. If you need a spot to store bulky drybags or lighter-weight gear, the LW will work fine.

Thanks for the links HMR

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Powered Up!

Xantrex Powerpack 600 HD
2003519914778607151_rs.jpg

There is an in-depth review about the Xantrex on Northwest Overland Society's website. (Link Here)
(I am not sure who wrote this review, but thanks to whoever did.)

Bought from Amazon.com (Link Here)

keezer36

Adventurer
Interesting. I just picked up a four cup coffee maker that pulls 550 watts. I wonder if this thing will hold out long enough to make coffee?

Arivalsend

Adventurer
HMR said:

201737068-M.jpg

Ok thanks Hadley and HMR. The links are really helpful, and hearing from both of you on the strength aspects of yakima/thule I am starting to lean more towards a sturdier rack. I am planning on at the very least a high lift/shovel/axe and I will always have other gear in there as well. Hmm dang more to mull over!

Michael

Adventurer
Overland Hadley said:
Thanks for the information and photos.

Your electrical work is impressive. At this point in time I lack the skills to install a system like that, but it is definitally something that in the future I might want to do. For now I will be using a simple backup battery-power source unit.

I am designing my sleeping platform to have a fold over and down extention, so I have more leg room to sleep. I envy short people when sleeping in the back of a vehicle.
Wiring up the dual battery system really isn't that hard, but it does take some time to do it right. If you extend the aux power to your cab, you will become very familiar with removing all the plastic parts and the main console (a putty knife with tape on the end is a great tool for all that).

I used the Blue Seas Systems BatteryLink isolator and I'm very satisfied with it. There are other types of isolators available and the best one to use is a hot topic in quite a few forum threads. Here is a link to the data sheet for the BatteryLink which contains a basic wiring diagram for the install. I followed this basic schematic for my system, although I added a few additional distribution buses and fuses. If/when you decide to do the full wiring mod, I'd be happy to share my wire sizes, fuse plan, and other research. I tend to be conservative in my safety factors and design -- probably a result of spending way too many years on a submarine.

"I envy short people when sleeping in the back of a vehicle."

Speaking for all the short people in the world, it is nice to finally be appreciated :wings:.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Here are some photos from the test fitting of my new Shady Boy awning. (It was cold, well below zero, and I got a funny look from a neighbor who drove by while it was set up.)

The Shady Boy's aluminum case is fifty inches long, and when opened the awning is ten feet wide by six feet deep. I mounted it to the back of the cargo basket, so it covers the tailgate area. Having an awning over the tailgate will be nice when camped, but will also be nice when stopped for lunch or when dealing with camera gear in the rain.

The awning also does not need to use down poles, so it will be easy to use on uneven terrain. While I was setting up the awning it got a bit breezy, and I was surprised at how solid it was. Not as solid as an eight foot long Fiamma, but one of those would not work off the back of a truck.

It takes about one or two minutes to set up, and the same to take down.

From the test fitting I am very happy with the awning, 4.5 of 5.

I bought it direct from Shady Boy in Canada. (Link Here) It was less expensive, and working with Wolfgang was very helpful.

2003477291588464128_rs.jpg

2003431217931292105_rs.jpg

2003430235701409133_rs.jpg

2004125251756577799_rs.jpg

2004123340480235481_rs.jpg

2004128823865260573_rs.jpg

2002953496597689890_rs.jpg

2002973581430478868_rs.jpg

2002969981932850806_rs.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members