Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

Overland Hadley

on a journey
daverami said:
Is there any particular place to get shims? I don't know if they are all created equally, aluminum, steel?

I had taken my Alcans off several months ago because of vibe problems, but since then, I have sent them back to Alcan and had them redone for weight of my truck, and had them add a little more beef to them. So, I'm going to try again. I have the carrier bearing spacer stuff, but want to be prepared with shims while I am doing the install.

Jacket said:

Those are the same ones that I got, but I paid a lot more for mine.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
heeltoe989 said:
Still a great looking truck! I wish I could be 6000lbs loaded when I go camping :) oh well, gears and supercharger take of the extra pounds.

I feel really heavy when fully loaded, but I know you are a lot heavier.
I read it somewhere, how heavy are you when loaded for camping?

heeltoe989

Explorer
Overland Hadley said:
I feel really heavy when fully loaded, but I know you are a lot heavier.
I read it somewhere, how heavy are you when loaded for camping?

most big camping trips, I'm around the 6500lbs mark, then putting a 4500 lbs trailer on the back of the truck when the wife and boy come along. Also a with quad on the front of the trailer, but for the most part if its just me on a camping and wheeling trip 6500lbs.

So pretty loaded up.

heeltoe989

Explorer
Overland Hadley said:
Wow, thats a big number for a Tacoma. But surprisingly easy to reach.

yeah its doesn't take very long, Three batteries, full size spare, extra fuel, all the gear we put on these trucks for camping and overland travel. My truck is going to weight even more when a RTT and exo cage roof rack go on top too, as well as the new back bumper.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
maxama10 said:
Nice, looks really pretty. I'm jealous we don't quite have trees here.

And sometimes I am jealous of the rocks, mountains and open space you have.
(Although right now I am enjoying autumn in the north woods!)

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Well, I finally found a camp table that I like, it is small but sturdy and somewhat light weight. It will also pack well alongside my chairs and MSR Para Wing (Link).

I had hoped that I could cook, clean, and stage gear on the tailgate, but in the end there just was not enough space. And with the OME Dakars the tailgate became to high to sit at and eat or play games.

I started thinking about a roll table when I saw Louis (FourByLand) unroll his in Death Valley.

The Roll-a-Table Camping Table, available from River Connection (Link).

I look forward to sitting at this table with a pot of hot food, in the warm glow of a candle lantern, after a long day of exploring.

dustboy

Explorer
Overland Hadley said:

I look forward to sitting at this table with a pot of hot food, in the warm glow of a candle lantern, after a long day of exploring.

REI has a similar product, but instead of vinyl over wood, it is all aluminum. I just got one for my birthday, it's pretty sweet.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
dustboy said:
REI has a similar product, but instead of vinyl over wood, it is all aluminum. I just got one for my birthday, it's pretty sweet.

I tried that one, but I found that it was hard to sit at because my legs hit the bracing for the table legs. (Yet another joy of being tall) I did like how it was all metal and not wood-vinyl.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
If I was traveling in South America, or if I was back roaming the swamps of the South-East, I would carry one of these. (Link)

But I live in the north woods, so I carry a Sven Saw. (Link) It is a quality product, and is light weight. I have used it many times, everything from yard work to a memorable pre dawn tree clearing on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I also carry one of the small Gerber hatchets, for those times when you just need to pound away at something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy