Building the AlumEscape

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
How high is the awning? Tall enough to stand up under?
I am about to start the box for my trailer I talked about 2 years ago.
Yea, life got in the way!

I wanted to add an awning on my trailer too.
Let me share my thoughts on a feature I'll use for my awning height, in case you or your fans want to use the idea.

Since I'm over 6 feet tall and my trailer will only be 5 feet tall at the roof line I decided to make it so I can raise the bracket the awning is attached to by using 2 square crank up jacks mounted upside down on the side corners of the trailer body.
The rear one will have a shackle, like on a leaf spring, to compensate for the changing length when I crank up one jack, then the other.

The jacks will be those that have the cranks on the side. So it will be easy to cut off the handles and weld on 3/8th drive sockets for removable cranks or just run it up with a drill.

With your exo cage bracket mount this would work for you too.
And I just thought of this.
One of my Goose Neck trailers has two jacks up front linked together with a simple shaft between the two jacks so they travel at the same speed with only one crank handle.

Love how this trailer came out and as always they never are truly finished!

2012Taco

AlumEscape
No spot for a fridge?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Not in the trailer the way I setup the rear compartments but I prefer to keep the fridge in the tow rig anyway. Keeping it with me brings cold snacks and drinks on day trips and haves them waiting at trailheads.

IMG_4977_zps5slj2iuz.jpg

:beer:

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Very nice,good find on the fabric too.

Thanks, I'm thinking it will work well once I finalize the mounting method. The sewing will be good practice anyway as I'd still like to replace the sleeping setup I have with some nicely covered cushions that can double purpose as bed and as seat cushions and backrests when lounging on rainy days.

2012Taco

AlumEscape
How high is the awning? Tall enough to stand up under?
I am about to start the box for my trailer I talked about 2 years ago.
Yea, life got in the way!

I wanted to add an awning on my trailer too.
Let me share my thoughts on a feature I'll use for my awning height, in case you or your fans want to use the idea.

Since I'm over 6 feet tall and my trailer will only be 5 feet tall at the roof line I decided to make it so I can raise the bracket the awning is attached to by using 2 square crank up jacks mounted upside down on the side corners of the trailer body.
The rear one will have a shackle, like on a leaf spring, to compensate for the changing length when I crank up one jack, then the other.

The jacks will be those that have the cranks on the side. So it will be easy to cut off the handles and weld on 3/8th drive sockets for removable cranks or just run it up with a drill.

With your exo cage bracket mount this would work for you too.
And I just thought of this.
One of my Goose Neck trailers has two jacks up front linked together with a simple shaft between the two jacks so they travel at the same speed with only one crank handle.

Love how this trailer came out and as always they never are truly finished!

Yep, when I crank up the trailer at camp the trailer side of the awning is between 6'-6” and 6'-10” depending on how high I raise the trailer. For rainy weather I set the outer legs low, around 5' I guess to keep the rain shed and cut down on what blows in. In nice weather for shade I put the outer legs at 5'-11”-ish so I can just walk under the extrusion – this leaves sufficient headroom while still working to shed rain if it pops up while away from camp.

The jack on the mounting brackets is a good idea if you've got the room to do so. The only way I could have done so on mine would have been to put the lift mechanisms up by the awning mount or similar as I made the cage wrap around the pointed nose of the front of the trailer body. Having the height adjust at the trailer would have been ideal for many situations but I really wanted to keep the profile of the trailer similar to what it was plus keep it tucked close to the body to prevent rain from sneaking in and dripping on my window, table and door. I'm thinking it will work best for my needs but the drawback will be that I can only adjust the body side of the awning by physically jacking the trailer up.

It's always a compromise!

Start your build thread yet?

FMF

Adventurer
This is a seriously cool build! One day hopefully I will have the skills to build something like this. It looks like we have gone to a lot of the same places. I would love to check your trailer out in person one day.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
This is a seriously cool build! One day hopefully I will have the skills to build something like this. It looks like we have gone to a lot of the same places. I would love to check your trailer out in person one day.

He was right on the other side of Alex at the MAOF....:ylsmoke:

How about if you take the ARB room and cut the ceiling out of it....or sew some clear vinyl in the "roof" section so the lighting can still filter in?

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Start your build thread yet?

Actually I have started the build. But I want to get more done and type it up, with proof reading and pictures linked properly before I start posting it up on a new thread. I'd like to have a few weeks progress done before I start posting.

But here is a teaser.
Here's a picture of the base trailer. It steers and is ready for the box.
And then a drawing I found that somebody else made that I think actually is a concept from someone on this Forum. ( But I've failed to note who's hard work it is. I apologize to them for not being able to give credit where credit is due.)
This shows what I'm working toward building. I fell in love with the design, so I'm going to build it.

My wife is even excited about this design. A few more materials and furnishings for the box build then it will be full speed ahead.
I have the frame carriage in the shop as I type getting prepared for paint.

Attachments

• DSC02209.jpg
    DSC02209.jpg
    607.3 KB · Views: 69
  • TearDropConceptII-C.jpg
    TearDropConceptII-C.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 77

2012Taco

AlumEscape

Thanks, it's been a long time in the making and I was able to get a lot of ideas from other builds on here. The skills part wasn't the hard part really, it was a matter of having a plan going in and then committing to keep it moving forward and the rest really came together from there. I know the year or so that I was building this I missed quite a few weekend trips and events to try to keep progressing toward my final goal - well worth it now but it could be a drag sometimes then. I'm sure one day I'll build another (already building the wishlist) and pass this along to another wanderer but I think this one will see a lot more miles behind me before then!

Evidently we were both at MAOF last year as Pat says, I was setup with elmo_4_vt over by Alex from Dirt Road Trip. Now that he mentioned it I think I remember seeing your Tacoma there as I was thinking it had a lot in common with mine haha. I'm going again this year and picked up a pass last week, hopefully you can attend and you'll be welcome to snoop around the build.

I see you're from the DC area and I've really been hoping to get to one of DRT's camping meets too but it's never lined up with my schedule. Not sure if you've been but they seem to be a fun event from what I've heard.

He was right on the other side of Alex at the MAOF....:ylsmoke:

How about if you take the ARB room and cut the ceiling out of it....or sew some clear vinyl in the "roof" section so the lighting can still filter in?

A definite possibility Pat, one I'd like to try if I can find one of the rooms for a reasonable price. I think ebay has them for right around the $180 mark which I guess isn't terrible but I'd hate to hack that up just yet until I find my inner Martha Stuart. I'm hoping the weather cooperates this weekend and I can mock up the sunshade fabric at least to see if it really offers the protection and privacy I'm hoping for. I'd love to be able to get changed and cleaned up outside at this point as getting clothed and cleaned inside the trailer is less than convenient with the bed, incidental gear and low ceiling.

You planning on MAOF this year? I'd like to see the new project of yours!

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Actually I have started the build. But I want to get more done and type it up, with proof reading and pictures linked properly before I start posting it up on a new thread. I'd like to have a few weeks progress done before I start posting.

But here is a teaser.
Here's a picture of the base trailer. It steers and is ready for the box.
And then a drawing I found that somebody else made that I think actually is a concept from someone on this Forum. ( But I've failed to note who's hard work it is. I apologize to them for not being able to give credit where credit is due.)
This shows what I'm working toward building. I fell in love with the design, so I'm going to build it.

My wife is even excited about this design. A few more materials and furnishings for the box build then it will be full speed ahead.
I have the frame carriage in the shop as I type getting prepared for paint.

I dig the direction you're headed there, the flip top will give you a great elevated bunk and give headroom to do the necessities inside. Have you considered also being able to access the rear galley and compartment area from the inside? It could be nice to grab a cold drink from a fridge/freezer and maybe whip up a breakfast in bum weather from the comfort of the interior...

Now you have me adding more things to my wishlist.....

:rolleyes:

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Well I channeled my inner Suzy Homemaker and whipped up this privacy/rain/sun shade last weekend - super pleased with the results!

The plastic screen fabric was sourced from here, the black edge clips here and the ball bungees from here.

The fabric height was pretty close to what I needed but I did end up sewing a hem into the upper edge just to reinforce the clip locations. Both vertical edges were triple hemmed for the extra strength and to hide and protect the cut edges from eventually wearing or fraying loose.

The top edge uses some hangers I made using aluminum tube and paracord which easily slide into the ARB extrusion.

IMG_5486_zpsfqxjh8mo.jpg

IMG_5487_zpsuhmlllju.jpg

IMG_5488_zpszp9iu1ki.jpg

IMG_5489_zpsxnklkbfe.jpg

IMG_5492_zpskaiixpvj.jpg

I'm planning on making a short set to use on each side as well to provide more privacy options and shade the sun or block light rain. These will hang off the side aluminum tubes and will be able to slide either toward or away from the camper to leave a walking passage. Still need to chop and sew those in the next few weeks!

I also installed a switch protector for the awning lights so I don't accidentally turn them on when packing the awning away. Simple and easy!

IMG_5453_zpsrujz0cvg.jpg

:beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckshotiii