Building the AlumEscape

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Not particularly though I know the tongue weight was increased from before. I'm not a big guy but I could still scoot the trailer around in my work area by hand with the bike on it so I'd guesstimate the tongue weight to be around 225lb to 275lb. The trailer w/ bike should be around 2,500lb so I'm comfortable with the weight distribution as it sits.

stomperxj

Explorer
Taco - I can't believe I never subscribed to your thread. Not sure how I missed it. Excellent work! It turned out really nice. I'm stealing back some ideas from you now :)

One question - Where did you source those tail light housings?

Great job man!

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Haha thanks stomperxj, I actually got quite a bit of inspiration from your SawTooth build - loved that one.

The tail light holders came from ebay from a vendor called "closertowholesale". If you search for "Double White 6" Oval Mounting Boxes for LED Brake Stop Turn Tail Lights" they should pop up. He carries them in white and black I think, I rattle canned mine silver to match the aluminum which finished it much nicer than the white.

:beer:

2012Taco

AlumEscape
ARB Awning!

Spring update - I got a great deal on an 8' ARB awning from Sierra Expeditions and got it mounted up on the camper!

IMG_5402_zpswrhpjfd4.jpg

I decided I wanted to fab up and exo-cage type mount rather than punching any holes in the body. I also wanted to keep the awning tucked close to the body and slightly elevated to keep rain or wind from sneaking in between the awning and camper plus keep headroom reasonable. The exo-cage is 1" by 1-1/2" 1/8" wall rectangular steel that I mitered, bent and welded up to fir the body with a snug clearance.

IMG_5403_zpsdaly7xcd.jpg

IMG_5404_zpseb804bu3.jpg

IMG_5405_zpsiwi9ackz.jpg

The front was handled the same way and everything was painted up before burning it into the trailer frame. I also wired up some lighting through the back.

IMG_5420_zpshroee94d.jpg

IMG_5421_zps7hipjlwi.jpg

IMG_5543_zpsks0tn5rj.jpg

IMG_5547_zpsezn24vuk.jpg

IMG_5438_zpsgzbsumt2.jpg

:beer:

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Thanks Pat, I was debating getting one of their rooms (not the screen thing) but they evidently have a full fabric roof of sorts that would then block the lights I put in. I'm thinking I'll DIY something together, at least a shade or windbreak for the outer wall using some tan sunshade fabric I picked up off amazon. It blocks a good bit of light so if I eventually made three walls I'd be comfortable getting changed in there and should block a lot of bugs, wind and sand, plus rain. Biggest problem I'm working now is how to sew up the edges so I can make it last but still be easy to string up. I wish I paid attention in home economics......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckshotiii