C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
108264761_79cbb51983.jpg

108264259_570bd9fe55.jpg

108264029_3619b0746b.jpg

107883251_74b0709a83.jpg

This should be considered Phase 1, and all that remains is to get an alignment and tweak for rubbing. As I mentioned in the previous post, I'm very pleased with how this turned out - minimal compromise for everyday use.

Once the smoke clears a bit from my recent expenditures, I'll be moving on to Phase 2, which consists of armor and a winch bumper. Rocker armor gets priority, then crossmember (transfer case), then oil pan and gas tank. I'll post here as I progress. :coffee:

xjclassic

Very nice....as I have said a few times already!! Have to say it on this site too! Might have to have another "lift party" for mine!

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
xjclassic said:
Very nice....as I have said a few times already!! Have to say it on this site too! Might have to have another "lift party" for mine!

Thanks again! I'd be happy to lend a hand when you plan to do so. Please keep me informed. Oh, and welcome to Expedition Portal. :D

CLynn85

Explorer
Lookin nice Chris, very well done. That'll definately be a bit more enjoyable for you. How's the ride compare with the OME?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
After driving it almost 400 miles with the new suspension and tires, I'm still pretty happy with how it all turned out. However, even after setting the tire pressure to 30 psi, the BFGoodrich All-Terrains feel hard-as-rock compared to the soft little Goodyear passenger tires that came on the vehicle. My cushy Cherokee Limited is still comfortable, but ride quality is definately a little bit rougher around the edges. This was expected, and there is still tweaking to be done - but I secretly hoped for better results.

The tire size increase seemed to hinder acceleration more than I anticipated. The decrease in performance is tolerable, but it is enough that I will probably switch from 3.55 gears to 4.10:1 gears when I eventually have lockers installed. In the meantime, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

To my surprise, there is very little tire rubbing when I turn the wheel left and right to full lock. It only occurred once when I was turning around in my parents' driveway this evening. The shoulder lugs on the ATs lightly grazed my suspension control arms. I could still benefit by adjusting the steering stops, but it won't take much.

I know I wanted to hold off on a winch bumper until our checking account healed, but there was an ARB Bull Bar for 97+ Cherokees (3450080) in stock so I grabbed it. I didn't want to miss the opportunity and end up having to wait a long time for a stocking order, or pay an exhorbitant shipping fee. The winch bumper will be sent to the body shop to be painted Silverstone Metallic, the same color as my Cherokee. The only problem is, absolutely no cash left for a winch, so my nice bumper is going to do some garage time before I install it. :(

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Good idea on the paint, that will look really sharp. If it were me, I couldn't wait on the winch... hehehe. The ARB bumpers are pretty easy to install and remove - I'd go for it :D

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Nice Looking Chris!!

The Cherokee would be a nice replacement for the "WonderRunner"....!

I like the size and versatility! .....wheelbase!

Except then I would have to change my screen name:eek:...... :elkgrin:

articulate

Expedition Leader
Scenic WonderRunner said:
Nice Looking Chris!!

The Cherokee would be a nice replacement for the "WonderRunner"....!

I like the size and versatility! .....wheelbase!

Except then I would have to change my screen name:eek:...... :elkgrin:
Just take up wilderness marathon running...........

:sunflower

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven