C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Chris, looks AWESOME!!! Keep us posted, this has been a fun build for me to follow, even though I do not own a Jeep. It has still been fun.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
upcruiser said:
Looking great! Does the ARB rub like the original bumper at full stuff?

Thanks! I haven't tried flexing the suspension yet. I am expecting it to rub, but I'm not sure how much. The ends of the ARB do seem to slope away from the tires more than the stock end caps did, so hopefully I won't have to modify the bumper. :)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I'm trying to decide between a 2' CB antenna, and a 3' antenna. I like the low profile of my 2' for trees and my garage, but what if I find a need for that extra foot one day?

2' Pictured
129206124_1ec311d89a.jpg

I've seldom used a CB radio for anything other than communicating between vehicles that are usually in close proximity.

Scott Brady

Founder
Chris,

The bumper looks great. I particularly appreciate the time you take to research each modification and ensure it is done properly.

I am going to a roller fairlead on my truck as well, and decided on this unit, which is just over 5lbs. It must be used with synthetic line

DSCF1543.JPG

It is from Viking Off-Road, and not even on their site yet, but it is in production. The unit is quite impressive:

email: sales@vikingoffroad.com
tel: 800.275.3809

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
expeditionswest said:
The bumper looks great. I particularly appreciate the time you take to research each modification and ensure it is done properly.

Thanks, Scott. That is a really nice looking roller. I will certainly keep it in mind should I choose to run synthetic.

flyingwil said:
Nice install work on your ARB! Looks great...

What is next?

Thanks, Wil. The void in the bumper will be filled with a Warn M8000, which is the highest priority at this time. Shortly thereafter, I plan to add IPF 800XS lights to the bumper assembly.

ipf_800xs.jpg

Armor is next on the agenda, starting with sliders and gas tank, and followed by a reinforced crossmember, oil pan, and reinforced control arm mounts.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Not necessarily the best photograph angle for the purpose of comparison, but despite the large overall size of the ARB Bull Bar, you can see the substantial amount of clearance gained below the bumper ends.

130234647_e7abf2b456.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I took the Cherokee out for the second time to do some recon for the local off-road park. This is the most technical terrain this vehicle has ever seen, and it performed very well.

132666382_5bed0d63e0.jpg

I was initially concerned about my front tires rubbing the ARB bull bar while the suspension was compressed - and while I still think I could probably induce rubbing by really flexing out on something, it did not occur during normal off-pavement operation. I'm just pleased that my new bumper won't need to be hacked. :)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I took the Cherokee out on a weekend-long trail ride event at the local off-road park. This was the Jeep's most technical outing so far and it's first organized outing. It was the ultimate test, and by the time the weekend was over, I knew exactly what adjustments needed to be made.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cshontz/sets/72057594123101599/

IMG_6696.jpg

Fortunately, the Cherokee performed very well. One of the rear shackles needed to be tightened up very slightly. A front bumpstop extension is required to eliminate rubbing during extreme compression. Steering stops need to be adjusted. That is pretty much all.

At roughly 15psi and sway bar disconnected, the Cherokee rode as though it was on a cloud - and clawed and flexed over pretty much every obstacle it encountered. It felt very comfortable and sure-footed. The biggest hindrance was the bottom lip of the rear Chrysler 8.25 axle housing, which managed to get caught on the terrain from time to time - dragging like a boat anchor.

How embarrassing! :eek:

IMG_6661.jpg

The bottom corner of my new bumper also gently bumped a rock (as a bumper would) when my front end dropped down into a water-filled rut. Not a big deal, but my only remarkable damage. I plan to touch up the abrasion.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Man, you're coming along fantastically. I really dig your Jeep.

cshontz said:
I was initially concerned about my front tires rubbing the ARB bull bar while the suspension was compressed - and while I still think I could probably induce rubbing by really flexing out on something, it did not occur during normal off-pavement operation. I'm just pleased that my new bumper won't need to be hacked. :)
:) Even then, a little rubbing in the most extreme compression scenario hardly justifies hackage. that's an opinion, though.

Again, superb Jeep; thanks for posting all of your research.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Looks like there was a big turnout for that event. Lots of nice rigs, especially that white ZJ. That poor Ranger maybe should trade his smokestack for a snorkel! You got some great shots.

So how has the 2' antennae worked out so far? BTW, I didn't chime in earlier on the color matched ARB, but I do think that looks really, really good. Personal touches like that really set a vehicle apart from the rest.

Nice work! :beer:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I'm not a windshield wiper blade connoisseur. My wiper blade preference is not based on a scientific process of elimination - it is largely based on what I read on the packaging, like many consumers. In this regard, Silblades stood out among the lower cost alternatives enough to justify purchasing them.

158889608_b6a5217362.jpg

I've been running these blades for several years on multiple vehicles, and I just recently purchased them for my current Cherokee.

Pros
  • 5 year unconditional guarantee;
  • Resistant to stuff that causes wiper blade degradation;
  • Seem to "treat" windshield, water beads;
  • And of course they wipe effectively;

Cons
  • Poor quality plastic mounting clips, broke once;
  • Paint might be prone to deterioration;
  • Streaks very briefly visible in oncoming headlights;

91xlt

Adventurer
:beer: i have got to say...LOOKIN' GOOD!!!...i like the route you are heading with your project, have to say it is a good lookin rig!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven