C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
cshontz said:
I think I'm going to start wrapping things up - you know ... relatively speaking. I want to prioritize a gear swap (3.55 --> 4.10), and some light rocker armor, and then call it done. The gear swap used to include plans for lockers, but they're hard to justify, and I think it'd be wise to keep it real. It is already clear that rocker armor is a necessity.

Otherwise, we'll start saving money for outings, home improvements, and quality-of-living type of stuff instead of spending every last dime on the Cherokee. We want to start looking for a bigger house soon, and I want a sailboat sometime down the road ... man, that would be great. That is distant unless we come into buckets of cash.

I was discussing with Jen, my vehicle feels more like home than home. You know, not saying I'd eat, sleep, or even bathe in a vehicle, but behind the wheel is usually where I feel most relaxed - providing I'm not so relaxed that I'm t-boning Ford Explorers. I just think my priorities may be askew, and its time for home to be home.

wise man, chris.

i read your thread just now and am impressed with the build. :clapsmile

i think you're right to take other priorities into consideration. the point is to spend time on the trail and not in the garage modifiying to no end and repairing the broken parts of a overly-modified rig. i'd say yours is about perfect: much more capable than stock and still very reliable and comfortable.

i don't understand some that spend 10's of thousands of dollars on these rigs, when they do JUST fine with the mods that you've done. (winch, arb, 31's, small lift and eventually lockers)

whenever i get the itch to do more than that on my rigs, all i have to do is watch the old camel trophy vids and watch what they did with 31's, OPEN diffs, bridging ladders, a bit of momentum, and some elbow grease.

regards and good luck with your other pursuits!!:26_7_2:

brian

Last edited:

Dave Bandel

Chris,

Nice build. About your ARB fridge/freezer, you can mount some tie-down locations in the "bed" area using rivnuts (blind fasteners) which will allow you to not need to drop the fuel tank. Just google "rivnut" if you aren't familiar with them.

You may not remember me but I drive a '97 green TJ with the 5.2L and used to wheel with the B4W and now mainly hang out with some of the old timers from OCC. I remember you from several trips to Paragon and Rausch years ago.

-David

TJVach

Observer
cshontz said:
I'm trying to decide between a 2' CB antenna, and a 3' antenna. I like the low profile of my 2' for trees and my garage, but what if I find a need for that extra foot one day?

2' Pictured
129206124_1ec311d89a.jpg

I've seldom used a CB radio for anything other than communicating between vehicles that are usually in close proximity.

Hey I just wanted answer this question for you. I didn't see a reply, so I figured I would chime in. If you want what you can do is basically get two quick disconnects and a 3' antenna. Attach both the 2' and 3' antennae to a quick disco, and one of the other sides of the disco to the bumper. That way when you want to switch just disconnect one and put the other one on. Just make sure that you tune your antennae to your radio. Hope this helps.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Sooo, here are my thoughts...

I plan to install a RTT soon. I'm not quite there yet, so I'm not going to talk about that. However, it is time to consider the effect of having 120lbs on the roof of my Jeep, and make the necessary preparations.

I expect a RTT to be a bit of a burden for my OME JC1B leaf springs, so I've decided to get a set of OME D22XL add-a-leafs which were designed to compliment their host spring packs. The JC1B/D22XL setup should allow me to keep my ground clearance when I'm loaded up with gear, and improve lateral stability when the tent is deployed.

For the front, I'll just throw in front coil spring spacers as needed to make sure the vehicle is level-ish. My intent isn't to increase ride height, only to slightly increase maximum payload.

Here is a recent picture of the Cherokee thrown in for good measure. This is still with the OME JC1B rear springs, 930 coils, and two .75" coil spring spacers on each side to support the heavy front.

737239545_2106a47195.jpg

I still need to acquire load bars for the roof. I like the Yakima Q Towers, but I'm still checking on pricing and availability. The Thule 300 Gutter Towers are also an option, but I don't like how tall they are over the roof line. Seriously ... like I want a 120lb tent, that is already 12" tall mind you, to be mounted 5" over the roof line. Yeah, there goes my cog. :(

If anyone can think of a clever solution to the load bar issue, I'm all ears.

I'd still much rather do an RTT on an Adventure Trailer and keep the roof of the Cherokee empty, but thats not in the cards this year.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Make your own bars snd Pedestals. I made pedestals for my Sub for my KargoMaster rack. My sub runs a roof rack I actually salvaged off a XJ.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I've decided to hold off on the add-a-leafs and coil spacers. I may still choose to get them, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Indecision may or may not be my problem.

977455528_b6661de66a.jpg

Before dropping the Cherokee off for PA state inspection, I removed my CB antenna from the front bumper. It is considered a visual obstruction. Anyway, I tend to run into problems when I touch stuff. I was putting it back on and I over-tightened it causing the threads inside the ... dealie to strip out. Its on there, but not as tight as I'd like. I need to replace it. Gah! :mad:

976598627_5ddb8aa112.jpg

I did in fact purchase a Thule gutter mount kit and 50" load bars for an eventual RTT. Cherokee XJ owners take note - the Thule application guide recommends 58" load bars, but the 50" load bars work just as well if if you don't want the excess length! These 50" bars will be less prone to getting snagged on the trail.

921848969_04271adfca.jpg

I also recently adjusted my steering stops. Two washers on each side was enough to keep my shoulder lugs from tagging my LCA's at full stop. This was long overdue, but I put it off because it wasn't that bad.

I also pulled my coil spring retaining clips. They had both become unseated, and I got tired of listening to them flap around. I'll try to reseat them next time I do suspension surgery, but those coil springs aren't going anywhere. That's not very exciting, is it? ... but that's all I have.

Last edited:

John90XJ

Adventurer
cshontz said:
I also recently adjusted my steering stops. Two washers on each side was enough to keep my shoulder lugs from tagging my LCA's at full stop. This was long overdue, but I put it off because it wasn't that bad.

I haven't read the whole thread so not sure if this was mentioned....you can run the WJ Grand Cherokee LCA with a minor bit of grinding to fit it into the LCA pocket. This particular LCA has a bend in it so you don't have the tire rub at full steering lock. It's great up to about a 31/10.50 tire and is a pretty cheap junkyard modification.

Here's a photo comparing XJ to WJ stock arms and a link to a writeup.

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/BSlowerWJctrlArms/WJ_LCA.htm

ARWJlca01_sm.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Pulled the front swaybar this morning to service it. It needs grease on the frame bushings - stupid poly is squeaking like crazy, and I have to see what I can do about tightening up one of the disco links. Didn't do it yet.

In the meantime, I need to extend my front bumpstops. Since the swaybar was off, I drove to a nearby spot where I can flex it out and figure out what it needs. Looks like it needs about 1.5 to 2 inches of bumpstop extension. JKS has a nice kit for this.

1007784779_b1ad205e8a.jpg

1008657852_1a3923d71e.jpg

John90XJ

Adventurer
Have you considered using hockey pucks?

Glue them onto the coil bucket and you're good to go. Some have also drilled through them and run a bolt through the middle once they were in place. Cheap and easy that works very well.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Sanded and painted my dent this past weekend. Noticed it was getting a little brown where the paint was cracked. Wanted to nip that in the bud.

1028763978_81931f16e6.jpg

This is where it happened back on 9/23/06. Geez, time flies.

250986129_f5be77b979.jpg

Last edited:

dieck

Adventurer
cshontz said:
Sanded and painted my dent this past weekend. Noticed it was getting a little brown where the paint was cracked. Wanted to nip that in the bud.

1028763978_81931f16e6.jpg

This is where it happened back on 9/23/06. Geez, time flies.

250986129_f5be77b979.jpg
What did you use to touch up the paint? I've got a few blems on mine too and we are the same color. Hard to see how that damage happend at that location. What happened?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
dieck said:
What did you use to touch up the paint? I've got a few blems on mine too and we are the same color. Hard to see how that damage happend at that location. What happened?

A rock flipped up. It was so incredibly lame, I couldn't believe it. You can see the rock, and where it used to be in the ground. It was little more than a dirt road. :(

I use a rattlecan of Silverstone Metallic touch-up paint from Mopar. Should be available from your local dealer for an exorbitant price.

148177304_761e8a552e.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven