C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

dieck

Adventurer
cshontz said:
A rock flipped up. It was so incredibly lame, I couldn't believe it. You can see the rock, and where it used to be in the ground. It was little more than a dirt road. :(

I use a rattlecan of Silverstone Metallic touch-up paint from Mopar. Should be available from your local dealer for an exorbitant price.

148177304_761e8a552e.jpg

Do you have an after shot? Does it blend with the stock paint well? I'd be a bit leary of spraying my truck with a rattlecan but you may convince me...

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Don't really have a picture better than anything you've already seen. The color blends well, but the paint runs very easily. You definitely want to keep your distance and go back and forth very quickly. I'd be very hesitant to use the rattlecan to touch up something that doesn't already look like hell.

Before

252467424_0c0a144faa.jpg

After

1028763978_81931f16e6.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
LUISJG said:
looking good Chris...

what else is on the list for your XJ?

Thanks, Luis. Ugh ... the dreaded list.

• gear swap 3.55 to 4.11 <-- most important
  • root top tent
  • probably aal and spacers
  • rocker repair and armor
  • engel slidelock install
  • marine deep cycle battery (when needed)
  • considering swing-out tire carrier
  • thinking about limb risers
  • safari snorkel possibly
  • headlight upgrade (when needed)
  • portable or on-board air
  • front and rear air lockers <-- low priority

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:

• root top tent

You should do at least the rear locker at the same time you do the gears. Your are in there and to do it later you will be looking at an additional $300 in labor.

Its the labor that kills you. You can get Yukon gears for around $175 is what I paid for mine. The set up kit with the bearings was the killer. It was $200+ for my e-locker. Luckily the e-locker I bought was in really good shape and low mile so my bearings were fine and I could reuse. I just needed the $35 kit that had the Crush, Gaskets and new nut. Did it myself so saved about $350-400 in labor on the rear. On the front I lucked out and found a factory 4.88 for $125.

I thought 4.10 was pretty standard gear in a lot of jeeps. Will the newer wrangler front end bolt into a XJ? Might be able to junkyard a set up front for a couple hundred that already has the gears you want.

LUISJG

Explorer
cshontz said:

• root top tent

you should put rocker rails on top of the list ,,Iknow I hated myself for not doing that on my xj.
they are preety cheap now days on the xj fabrication busineses out there.

on the snorkel, look at the "airflow" dpg offroad, les expensive and Iloved it, it looks real good on my xj.

roof top tent...
well ,once you go RTT you never go back ,,eezi awn is the best.

John90XJ

Adventurer
Grim Reaper said:
I thought 4.10 was pretty standard gear in a lot of jeeps. Will the newer wrangler front end bolt into a XJ? Might be able to junkyard a set up front for a couple hundred that already has the gears you want.

That is how I did my gear swap from 3.55 to 4.10.....swapped axles.

Find an XJ with a non-disco D30 and a 4 cylinder and you've likely got 4.10 gears. It will give you a high pinion and bolt in.

As for the rear, you could go to a D35 from the same 4 cylinder rig (I ran one for quite a while) but for the money you're going to spend and the effort involved, swapping a Ford 8.8 in its place is a smart move. Much stronger 31 spline shafts, disc brakes, usually has 4.10 gears and a very strong limited slip. You can upgrade that later to a locker of your choice. You might be in that whole thing under $500 with new brackets and everything.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Good suggestions, but I'd prefer to keep my original components. I've swapped out entire assemblies before as an alternative to regearing, and ended up with a shattered ring gear - presumably fatigued by some catastrophic event. I know where my existing axles have been, they're low miles, and the strength of my 29 spline 8.25 is more than adequate for my needs.

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
LUISJG said:
you should put rocker rails on top of the list ,,Iknow I hated myself for not doing that on my xj.
they are preety cheap now days on the xj fabrication busineses out there.

on the snorkel, look at the "airflow" dpg offroad, les expensive and Iloved it, it looks real good on my xj.

roof top tent...
well ,once you go RTT you never go back ,,eezi awn is the best

you know, i have to dissagree. we did the maggiolina thing for a few trips, and while it had many pro's (comfy,e-z setup, etc) we just went camping up in julian (san diego mtns) for 3 days/nights using a ground tent, and i have to say these things:

1. if you're in camp for more than one night, tent set-up/takedown is no prob.
2. its nice not having to wake up fully if you have to pee/poo @ night...i hated having to be fully coherent enough to get down that damn ladder...lol
3. our particular tent is big, and fits all our gear...no getting bags in and out of the car all the time. just put it in the tent and leave it till you pack up.

for expeditions with "one night stays" and then "moving on's"...roof top tents are the bomb...
but, i'd consider NOT spending the $1000-2000 on a tent when 60 bucks @ walmart buys a darn good nights sleep. :)

p.s. we are 4. 2 adults and 2 LITTLE kids...so that may make a difference. even if we were just two (wife and i) i think we'd still prefer a ground tent. and if you're wondering if we think about safety/ predators/etc....my trusy 12gauge is always in our tent with us. :D

Last edited:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
kodiak1232003 said:
you know, i have to dissagree. we did the maggiolina thing for a few trips, and while it had many pro's (comfy,e-z setup, etc) we just went camping up in julian (san diego mtns) for 3 days/nights using a ground tent, and i have to say these things

All very good points, Brian. The fact that I'd have to break camp every time I want to use the Cherokee is a compromise that I'm not really looking forward to. Nor am I really eager to have a 120lb behemoth on my roof. :(

On the other hand:

1) No longer at the mercy of the terrain finding a place to camp.
2) Greatly reduced set-up and take-down time.
3) Gained valuable interior space for traveling light.
4) And of course, high and dry away from elements and critters.

I also hope it'll inspire me to go on more weekend exploration trips, instead of just day-trips all the time. :)

Doesn't this ground tent look inviting?

272385521_0da741729d.jpg

John90XJ

Adventurer
kodiak1232003 said:
but, i'd consider NOT spending the $1000-2000 on a tent when 60 bucks @ walmart buys a darn good nights sleep. :)

Not to get off on a tangent, but I agree. I can see some advantages to the RTT but I've never known my ground tent to take me more than 5 minutes to set up, in any conditions, and it takes so little space I generally just leave it in the Jeep.

One thing I've noticed while roaming around this site is how many people feel comfortable with stuff on the roof. I did at first and now, after banging my rain gutters around on a few trips, keep everything including the spare tire inside and as low as possible. The difference in fuel economy is substantial.

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
cshontz said:
All very good points, Brian. The fact that I'd have to break camp every time I want to use the Cherokee is a compromise that I'm not really looking forward to. Nor am I really eager to have a 120lb behemoth on my roof. :(

On the other hand:

1) No longer at the mercy of the terrain finding a place to camp.
2) Greatly reduced set-up and take-down time.
3) Gained valuable interior space for traveling light.
4) And of course, high and dry away from elements and critters.
YUP, THOSE ARE ALL THE THINGS WE LIKED, TOO
I also hope it'll inspire me to go on more weekend exploration trips, instead of just day-trips all the time. :)

Doesn't this ground tent look inviting?

272385521_0da741729d.jpg

yeah, i guess it all depends on your trip. my wife's decided the type of trip she likes is the trip that allows you to make base camp and then take day runs or explorations.

i'm undecided, as i've done both. the maggiolina is wonderful after a long day on the road...5mins, pop it up, and you're there. :)

you've got some big decisions...hahaha...

(oh, and you're ground tent looks great!..nice setup)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
kodiak1232003 said:
(oh, and you're ground tent looks great!..nice setup)

Thanks! We picked up an enormous air mattress at the nearby Coleman outlet. That thing is pure gold. :)

190082054_c299b18d9a.jpg

BigAl

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
Thanks! We picked up an enormous air mattress at the nearby Coleman outlet. That thing is pure gold. :)

190082054_c299b18d9a.jpg

That thing is awesome! There are sevral large beaver dams in Houtzdale that I'd love to explore with that:) I'm only half kidding, I've never seen a 2 tiered air mattress.:), that's sweet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven