C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
cshontz said:
Indeed. Basically just reinforce the rockers with a heavy-duty steel overlay. My foremost concern is to preserve the clearance under the rockers, and it should also be a little bit of a weight savings. All I need is protection from debris, and the occasional (and unlikely) glancing blow.

At the same rate, I have concerns about trapped moisture and whatnot, so I'm not completely sold on the concept in terms of longevity... but I would strongly prefer something like this as opposed to a frame-mounted "nerf bar" style.

railstextdisplay_jpg.jpg

Looking at this design I can see that the vehicle's rocker metal will still bend and dislocate due to the 3/16 steel only being attached to the rocker itself. Or, am I missing something? (Could be!)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
ShottsCruisers said:
Looking at this design I can see that the vehicle's rocker metal will still bend and dislocate due to the 3/16 steel only being attached to the rocker itself. Or, am I missing something? (Could be!)

I agree that its not something that would stand up to regular abuse, and not necessarily suited technical terrain. However, most light to medium impacts should easily be absorbed by the steel plate, which will distribute the impact across a much larger surface area of the body panel.

Your point is valid, however. There is definitely a fine line as far as to how much abuse something like this could or should take, but I think it'd likely be adequate for my application.

Last edited:

John90XJ

Adventurer
Looking at the lowest point of your rig, your rockers aren't it. I would look at getting something that tucks up close but does not overlay the rocker panel itself. I've had great luck with some .250" wall rails welded directly to the frame rails. Bolt-ons have also been worthwhile. I did run the factory Mopar units years ago and can confirm that light gauge metal is going to look like crap even after a trip to the mall. I think you need to spread the load to something other than the sheet metal you're trying to protect. Think of it like insurance, you want to have enough for a real problem, not just light duty problems.

As for the snorkel, I've never needed one. But if it were necessary, I would find a different route. In water deep enough to need one, there are far too many problem areas other than the air intake that will screw up your day. Most rear differential breathers are under water at that point, as will be the alternator, your electric fans sucking water in as well as the traditionally leaky door seals. If it's for looks, then that's another story. Personally, I would route a line from the airbox to the cowl and run a hidden snorkel.

For the limb risers, the antennas work really well if you put a CB aerial on the left side. For actual risers maybe you could rig something that would go up to your RTT and make them removable, protecting the tent?

John90XJ

Adventurer
If you were going to look at something light duty, try getting some of that food grade super high density polyethylene and form your own. They would be slick and easy for rocks to glide over, would form well, easy to attach, color is all the way through, easy to repair with woodworking tools and would make good skid plates for light use.

I still think steel is the preferred option but weight considerations would make me look at this material.

JeepinJason

durn it Chris, just buy those 1/8" rails by AJ's already. They're not overly heavy, won't make an appreciable impact on your ground clearance, they'll stand up to whatever you'd throw at them, they've got a good mounting system, and if you paint them black they'd barely be noticeable. I know you want those body-mounted ones, but this isn't a TJ ;) - I think you'd really be better off with a traditional frame/pinch seam mounted rock rail. It's what ARB would do. :safari-rig:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
JeepinJason said:
durn it Chris, just buy those 1/8" rails by AJ's already. They're not overly heavy, won't make an appreciable impact on your ground clearance, they'll stand up to whatever you'd throw at them, they've got a good mounting system, and if you paint them black they'd barely be noticeable. I know you want those body-mounted ones, but this isn't a TJ ;) - I think you'd really be better off with a traditional frame/pinch seam mounted rock rail.

Yeah, I will take that into serious consideration, and I appreciate your suggestion - you know I'm stubborn about how I want things to be. I suppose frame-mounted rockers left a bad taste in my mouth after the Tomkens I had so many years ago. In any case, they're still a little ways off, so I have plenty of time to consider my options. :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

Dave

Explorer
Second the light duty AJ's Offroad Armor rails. I ran them on my XJ and they held up fine to many hard hits.

JeepinJason

cshontz said:
I suppose frame-mounted rockers left a bad taste in my mouth after the Tomkens I had so many years ago.

Ahhhh... toootally understandable in that case. Shoot, my last rockers were supposedly some of the best at the time, but their support legs still bent causing damage to my rockers and pinch seam (doesn't matter how beefy the rail itself is if the mounting system is weak)... so much so that my current rails needed to be welded on because the pinch seam was pushed up so much in places (the new ones are SO-LID!)

If you still want the high-clearance "body-mounted" option... you could always cut out the rockers and replace them with steel tubing. :sombrero:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Back on the subject of rocker guards - I took a close look at Warn's offering. The pictures on the web don't do them justice. They're pretty nice - very close to the body, and seemingly well-reinforced. I didn't buy them yet (as I'm typing this), but I really like 'em.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cshontz/1449426818/

1449434054_34a624ccd0_b.jpg

Last edited:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I've actually not been doing anything new to the Cherokee lately. Aside from the pending 3.55 to 4.10 gear swap, its at a satisfactory state for multipurpose use. Though I would take it a little bit further if I had the cash. So its a matter of money, and practicality. I wish we lived somewhere better suited for an overland type of vehicle. I feel like I've milked these parts as much as I can.

1673606850_94f07c689e_b.jpg

I went to a nearby state forest district office and collected a huge stack of DCNR maps, and camping regulations. There are so many rules - only camp in designated areas, which is reasonable enough, but they are relatively few and uninteresting. You also have to get a camping permit and notify the office in advance of your visit. You need to apply for permission if your group is over x number of people. Again, not unreasonable because our state forests are beautiful, and these regulations will help keep them that way. Its just not very accommodating for overlanding, which is just frustrating because its something I'd love to do more often.

I'll do it, however. I'll plan the routes in advance, and adhere to their regulations. I'm just discouraged because their system doesn't allow me to do it on a whim.

On a different note, my dad got a nice 03 TT in place of a beater 91 Miata he had been driving that he picked up for a few hundred a couple of years ago. When dad got the new car, he offered to give me the Miata. I can't say I've lusted for that particular car, but I have been longing for a driver's car for quite some time now. I've been wanting a MINI Cooper for years, and just haven't been in a position to get one. A Miata is a fun little car, and fills that void. Its in fair mechanical condition and runs pretty well, but cosmetically... its a different story. Still... the price was right.

So I have it in my cluttered garage one-car garage, partially buried under a heap of stuff. Its holding its fluids pretty well for 230k miles. This is a picture of the pretty end, but there isn't a fender that isn't dented or rusted.

1784916524_48016fc327_b.jpg

ExpoMike

Nice Miata. They are great cars. I currently own a white '96 and have owned two '94's in the past. Congrats!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
You're married, so a red convertible isn't going to be getting you any ladies. Just enjoy the 30+ mpg, the wind in your hair and the absence of a decent sized cup holder.

Dents, schmentz...... :cow:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven