C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Picture for DaJudge

Here is a close-up photo of how I used the existing floor nut in the wheel well to attach the hinge. You can also see two of the bolts/nuts that attach the hinge to the plywood. The torax bolt in the lower right is where the back seat seatbelt connected. I now use for an electrical ground.

I waterproofed the entire area with a rhino-liner product.

Hope this helps,

Fred
Explorer 1

P.S. to cshontz....good idea teaching them when they are young how to pull the line and attach it so dad can stay inside, especially when it is snowing!

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I just noticed the title of this thread says , "(Progress)" - ROFLMAO. That's pretty funny.

Todo: (between now and 2050)

• Bump Stops / Coil Spacers (height tweak)
  • Warn Rocker Guards
  • ARB Safari Snorkel
  • Dual-Battery Setup (per OJ)
  • HAM Radio
  • Kayak (?)
  • False Floor
  • 4.10 Gear Job (elusive)
  • Toilet w/ Shelter
  • Warn Air Compressor

I'm sitting just a tad low in the front, even with the RTT. So I'm going to bring it up .4", and I also need to put in some bump-stop spacers to kill two birds with one stone. Nothing to it, so this'll be done in the next month or so for sure.

2275508806_5ec28bc56d_m.jpg

2275509412_c0744eb074_m.jpg

Of course, reading Overland Journal, I got turned on to a dual-battery setup. The concept isn't new to me, but the article really put the benefit into perspective. If you've camped with me, you know I run the Cherokee before bed, and again in the morning to make sure there's enough juice with the fridge running. That's getting old.

Among other things that are getting old is sharp-shooting into a cat-hole, in the privacy of dense brush.

The kayak thing - I don't even know if I'll like paddling or not yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll dig it. I can picture myself exploring up and down the river, and taking pictures. I'm not quite sure where I'd put it if the RTT is going to be up there, though. Maybe longer Thule load bars, but at that point I'm really exceeding the width of the Jeep.

jim65wagon

Spikepretorius said:
Must be the denim jacket.

:xxrotflma

You could always go the Odyssey route with tons of reserve and AHs to power that fridge overnight...your, uh, sponsor, should let you test one right?

IH8RDS

Explorer
Chris,
I'm sitting at 4" with 31" tires now and I am really considering just staying there. The wheels stuff great and my fenders don't fall off all the time...lol. The stock rims helped allot. The 4.56's are over the top, but I like the towing.

prepmech

Observer
I had a '90 XJ with a three inch lift and 31" tires, and really liked it.

I also wheeled my current XJ with 4.5" of lift and 31" tires for a while and it did great too.

31" tires are about as big as you want to go without having to think about trimming. You may even be able to get away without a SYE. It is still easy to get in and out of them when they are that height.

Looking back... things sure were a lot easier when I was on 31s.

Starscream

Adventurer
:beer:

Nice, thread Chris. I do have to say, your XJ is one of the nicest I've seen. Where do you get all those high-quality parts?..... LOL!

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Wrenched.

cshontz said:
I'm sitting just a tad low in the front, even with the RTT. So I'm going to bring it up .4", and I also need to put in some bump-stop spacers to kill two birds with one stone. Nothing to it, so this'll be done in the next month or so for sure.

I did this yesterday. Popped out my .75 + .6" spacers and put in a 1.75" spacer, and 2" bump stop extensions from RE. I haven't tested, but this looks like it should prevent my tires from eating my bumper.

I broke my factory jack, though. :(

16093952_5cd61e2183.jpg

This year for the Monongahela trip, my goal is to have a tuned, working CB radio that sends as well as receives. Imagine the possibilities!

IH8RDS

Explorer
cshontz said:
This year for the Monongahela trip, my goal is to have a tuned, working CB radio that sends as well as receives. Imagine the possibilities!

That reminds me. I have to relocate my antenna.

What CB are you using. I have that Cobra 75WXST. Not to impressed with it, except for the small footprint.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I'm using a Uniden 520XL (if I remember correctly). Its always served me well as long as my antenna and power setup is correct (which it clearly hasn't been for a while). Small footprint, sturdy, basic CB.

111028088_4768038499.jpg

ExpoMike

cshontz said:
I did this yesterday. Popped out my .75 + .6" spacers and put in a 1.75" spacer, and 2" bump stop extensions from RE. I haven't tested, but this looks like it should prevent my tires from eating my bumper.

I broke my factory jack, though. :(

16093952_5cd61e2183.jpg

Just an FYI, you can get a little more droop out of the suspension if you trim the shock mount on the axle where the lower control arm hits. Look on your pic where the arm hits.

Most aftermarket arms are built so they don't hit the axle mount without having to trim. When I put my JKS arms in, I got an extra 1.5" of droop from this extra clearance. Figured I would throw it out there. Great looking rig as always.

jim65wagon

cshontz said:
So this means we probably won't be seeing a Mini Cooper at Mon? I was really looking forward to that...

cshontz said:
This year for the Monongahela trip, my goal is to have a tuned, working CB radio that sends as well as receives. Imagine the possibilities
But if you fix it, then we can't say stuff about you over the CB...you'll be able to respond! No wisecracks without a retort!

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
If you've been following the inside of my brain, you'd know that for the past few weeks, and then on intermittent weeks, every other week or two, I've been strongly considering selling the Cherokee. I even posted it for sale on a local forum, concluding the thread with, "Nevermind. You don't want it."

Well, this intra-personal drama aside, the Cherokee was apparently privy to my plans, and much like my wife, has decided to become high-maintenance over a reasonably short period of time. Some may scoff, but to me, this is ample proof that love is the primary ingredient for keeping a vehicle in good health. Malcolm Reynolds said it best at the very end of Serenity.

So what have we got goin' on?

• On the way to WV while driving up a long hill, the transmission started puking resulting in a smoke screen and splattering a nice BMW behind me. It has always done this since I've been running on 245's, but only on really long interstate uphills.
  • While in WV the front brakes were smoking going DOWN hills. So great, smoke from tranny going uphill, smoke from brakes going downhill. This isn't necessarily a problem, but still. It was around this time that I stepped in human feces.
  • Blew a tire while in WV. Yes, tires go bad. The BFG AT's have had a good run. Of course the dirt road I was on wasn't very dramatic, but when it rains, it pours. I now have 3 worn, but decent BFG's, and a $25 WV-special Kumho.
  • On the way home from WV, I'm noticing a little death-wobble on the PA turnpike. I guess if its a little death-wobble, its not death-wobble. But still, it alerted me to worn front-end parts, and has gotten much worse very quickly.
  • On the way home from work the other day, my A/C stopped working. If you're curious read my other thread, but that about sums it up. The air blows warm, and this makes baby Jesus cry.

Despite this onslaught of misfortune and woe, I have once again decided to love my Cherokee. It is truly a magnificent vehicle, full of win and awesome. It deserves a better owner than myself, but I will do my best to make it happy. I'll buff out the scratches with fairy wings, and check on it every night before bed. In light of this, I expect it will make a full recovery.

Today, I ordered a new tie rod end, and a JKS adjustable front trackbar.

193108673_b2775ed7ca.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven

Members online