C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

BigAl

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
I went to a nearby state forest district office and collected a huge stack of DCNR maps, and camping regulations. There are so many rules - only camp in designated areas, which is reasonable enough, but they are relatively few and uninteresting. You also have to get a camping permit and notify the office in advance of your visit. You need to apply for permission if your group is over x number of people. Again, not unreasonable because our state forests are beautiful, and these regulations will help keep them that way. Its just not very accommodating for overlanding, which is just frustrating because its something I'd love to do more often.

I'll do it, however. I'll plan the routes in advance, and adhere to their regulations. I'm just discouraged because their system doesn't allow me to do it on a whim.
I'm with on the PA state forest buracracy. I've had good luck in Sproul State Forest which is just a few hours north of you, I think. I've applied for a permit twice there. They like to know your exact location but I've said I'll be exploring around and they let it slide if i give a general area. I think their office is in Renova but they let me do it all by mail. I'm lucky to have a large don't ask, don't tell abandoned mining area close to me. I can camp there hassle free 24/7/365:)

Rothrock SF is 2 minutes from my door but they only allow camping by back packers on thru trips. :(

jim65wagon

Ya'll can just come down heah to Virginny and we'll hed up to George Washington, camp anywheah ya like...

jeepboyd

Observer
cshontz said:
Back on the subject of rocker guards - I took a close look at Warn's offering. The pictures on the web don't do them justice. They're pretty nice - very close to the body, and seemingly well-reinforced. I didn't buy them yet (as I'm typing this), but I really like 'em.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cshontz/1449426818/

1449434054_34a624ccd0_b.jpg

have you looked @ the hanson sliders if they're near as nice as their bumpers i've seen then they're BAD!! and i think they're similar to the warns

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Just an update to my thread where - nothing really happens. Aside from the gear job that continues to elude me, I'd still like to do sliders.

I want to create a false floor much like the one they made for the Disco on EE. I already have an Engel Slide Lock from Sierra Expeditions and everything. I've actually been planning on doing this for a year or so now.

I've been putting more thought into gear than Jeep mods, lately. Right now, I have a fascination with kayaks and would seriously like to try it and get into that - especially since we live so close to the river. Photography and camera equipment has also taken precedence lately. With multiple ExPo trips coming this summer (one to the woods, one to the beach), we could really use some hygienical items, such as a portable toilet and enclosure. Some new sleeping bags would be good too.

My wife Jen likes to pack multiple comforter blankets when we go camping, and thats a bad habit that I need to curb. Its a matter of being able to pack efficiently in the XJ's limited interior space.

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
False floor

Since I so rarely had a need for the back seat in my Cherokee, I removed it and installed this platform level with the rear deck, I store my second battery and equipment under it and it also extends the deck so I can sleep inside. I like to be able to access the refg. while driving and not have to move the spare tire arm and open the rear hatch to get a drink so I installed my refg. on the deck behind the drivers seat.

Hope this helps,
Fred
Explorer 1

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Explorer 1 said:
I removed it and installed this platform level with the rear deck

That is very slick, Fred. I love it, and I'd like to do the same, except I have one of these... ;)

1694936030_e69226aba2.jpg

If only the Cherokee XJ was equipped with a split rear seat.

EDIT: Your picture inspires me to move my spare outside. That's a really nice setup.

Last edited:

John90XJ

Adventurer
PRP makes some really cool kid's seats. Creating a single rear seat with a deck surrounding it on the one side might be an option. And then Junior can still go while riding in a very safe and comfortable suspension seat made just for him.

He's a handsome boy too!

stick

Adventurer
Chris, this has to be one of the nicest and cleanest looking XJs that I've seen. I really like what you've done with it. Keep up the good work.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
stick said:
Chris, this has to be one of the nicest and cleanest looking XJs that I've seen. I really like what you've done with it. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, stick. :beer:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
stick said:

x2

I have to agree. I really dig the color-matched ARB bumper.

If I ever choose to switch vehicles, this model is on my short list. It seems so capable with almost all the after-market support one could ever want.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
on Jeeps and restlessness

Its at these late hours, when I'm restless, that I get to thinking... - actually, one of my favorite pastimes is considering what I might do to my vehicles. This is bad, because thinking about mods is a byproduct of inactivity. When I'm actually out there doing it, the word modification seldom enters my mind.

For now, I'm going to succumb to my fantasy, and briefly list things that I want without making any effort to be sensible, and without justification.

A whole new vehicle
Yes, I love my Cherokee, but I've been driving Cherokees all my life. Sometimes, I just want to be daring, throw caution to the wind, and try something else. I like the Taco, the FJ Cruiser, the 4Runner, the 60's and 80's. I love the Disco, the Rangie, and the 110. Oh, and I can't forget the 2010 AEV Rubicon Diesel w/ the Expedition Package.

More lift
Damn you, inchitis. I find myself more tolerant of short ride heights and smaller tires than most Jeepers I know. Its not a bad thing - it keeps things low-maintenance, which means less wrenching and more driving. I do like to play, however. When I'm out there and come across a technical section of trail, I feel like I've struck gold. Maybe it'd be okay to make it a little taller - 3.5" w/ 265/75R16, instead of 2" w/ 245/75R16.

Adventure Trailer
Does this even require any explanation? They're functional works of art, in my opinion. On solo trips, the size of the XJ is perfectly adequate, but when I'm with the family... it quite frankly feels like the wrong vehicle. The Adventure Trailer would certainly remedy that. Its not entirely unrealistic, so perhaps someday.

And more!
Warn rock sliders, a Safari Snorkel, and an AEV or Detours tire carrier. Possibly AEV wheels, or something Roverish like a NATO-style steelie. A water tank, a power inverter, and on-board air is extremely overdue. Of course I can't forget that gear job I've been wanting... oh, and ARB Air Lockers. I'll also need a deep cycle battery (inevitable anyway) and possibly a solar power source.

Jay S.

Observer
Think about the JKS rock sliders. I've got them on my 98XJ and love the sturdiness of their construction and the look. They not only mount to the pinch-weld but have "legs" that go down to the unibody frame rails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven