C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Teaser.

1139625175_d8c21b878a.jpg

jim65wagon

once you unfold that are you sure it will fit under the tree canopy out in the woods? Be kinda funny to get it about halfway up and find a buncha limbs preventing a good nights sleep! It's gonna look cool at the Camp.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
detailbarn said:
don't tell me you got the ARB tent , your truck is my favorite cherokee ever! now you go and add more ARB stuff ahh thats just the icing on the cake :drool:

Thanks for the compliment! It is indeed an ARB Simpson II. It sure does look monstrous on top of the Cherokee... although it is still in its box as I'm typing this.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I'm strongly considering limb risers, especially with the addition of the tent. I'm not quite sure where I'd go with them above the windshield though. Preferably, they'd deflect away from the tent, but considering I don't have anywhere to install them up there, that might be a tall order. :(

Suggestions?

John90XJ

Adventurer
cshontz said:
I'm strongly considering limb risers, especially with the addition of the tent. I'm not quite sure where I'd go with them above the windshield though. Preferably, they'd deflect away from the tent, but considering I don't have anywhere to install them up there, that might be a tall order. :(

Suggestions?

Terminate them on some Yakima 1A towers maybe? They would be above the windshield.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I've got the suspension and the sneakers to explore most roads, the bumper, the winch to get me out of a jam, the lights to illuminate the night, an all-knowing GPS that steers me true 100% of the time (yes ... 100% of the time - the GPS can do no wrong), the fridge, and an rtt for multi-day trips. The Cherokee is almost at a state that represents near-completion and true overlanding bliss!

My to-do list is as follows. After this stuff, I can't really see the Cherokee needing anything else. Its an excellent dual purpose vehicle, and I plan to keep it that way. :)

• Gear swap. The 3.55's have to go, and I figure 4.10's would be just right.
  • Deep cycle battery. As soon as the Pep Boys special is in its throes of death, it'll be time to upgrade.
  • Snorkel! ...to prepare for that uncertain day when water of questionable depth prevents my passage.
  • Limb risers. This may not happen if I don't figure out a sturdy way to attach them to the roof. Not too big a deal.
  • Possibly rocker armor. I know I could use it, but there aren't any readily available that I really like. I want body-mounted panels.

Yep, definitely needs a snorkel!

1323449900_19cd8a3e39.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
There's nothing about my GPS in this thread. I think I got it shortly after I decided I'd use my blog for everything. Well, I've decided to re-tool my web site to be specifically for adventure photo mapping instead of a blog, but ... that's a discussion for another thread.

Its a Garmin 276c with a 512k memory card and Mapsource City Navigator NT. I could really go for more topographical info, but the ability to come out of the woods and find the nearest pizza joint is pure gold. I love my GPS. My only complaints are expensive proprietary memory modules, and of course proprietary maps.

335470743_cc66173d41_b.jpg

articulate

Expedition Leader
A few days ago I saw a new JK with the ARB tent on top. T'was exciting to see.
Sure is a tall sucker all folded up.

the ability to come out of the woods and find the nearest pizza joint is pure gold
Got that right.
:arabia:

Dave

Explorer
cshontz said:
  • Possibly rocker armor. I know I could use it, but there aren't any readily available that I really like. I want body-mounted panels.

Body mounted rocker armor?

BigAl

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
... an all-knowing GPS that steers me true 100% of the time (yes ... 100% of the time - the GPS can do no wrong), ...

I think that's true, you just need to add bolt cutters and/or a banjo and you can go whereever that thing tells you to go:)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Dave said:
Body mounted rocker armor?

Indeed. Basically just reinforce the rockers with a heavy-duty steel overlay. My foremost concern is to preserve the clearance under the rockers, and it should also be a little bit of a weight savings. All I need is protection from debris, and the occasional (and unlikely) glancing blow.

At the same rate, I have concerns about trapped moisture and whatnot, so I'm not completely sold on the concept in terms of longevity... but I would strongly prefer something like this as opposed to a frame-mounted "nerf bar" style.

railstextdisplay_jpg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven