C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

sandalscout

Adventurer
Good for you, it's a great jeep, I'm sure, and what little bit of problems you two have can surely be worked through.

cshontz said:
Some may scoff, but to me, this is ample proof that love is the primary ingredient for keeping a vehicle in good health.

No scoffing here, my mom taught me this a long time ago. She gave me her old Cavalier back in the 90s, and she always kept it really clean and happy, and told me to do the same. One time, after not keeping it all clean and everything, it started acting funny, weird electrical issues, misfiring even though everything checked out, plugs good, etc. Took it to the car wash, full detail, etc, and she was GREAT for months.... I let it start slipping again, and out of nowhere, the block cracked. My current DD runs better when I've been loving her.

IH8RDS

Explorer
Mines just the opposite. The more I abuse it the better it runs. We'll see. I'm changing all the fluids this weekend. I hope she doesn't protest. She really really likes her old transmission fluid.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Chris, it sounds like you need to stay out of WV.....thats were all of the troubles are.

Even with these slight inconveniences, once they are fixed you will think to yourself "how could I have ever thought of selling her":)

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I'm betting your DW symptoms are related to that tire you purchased. Although the PA Pike is well known to beat the **** out of a vehicle..

Give the XJ some lovin and lets meet in your area for a quickie... RTT style. :costumed-smiley-007

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Maximus Ram said:
"how could I have ever thought of selling her"

Its a man. (sans trucknuts) :mad:

OverlandXJ said:
I'm betting your DW symptoms are related to that tire you purchased. Although the PA Pike is well known to beat the **** out of a vehicle..

Give the XJ some lovin and lets meet in your area for a quickie... RTT style.

The tire may have set it off, but I had Jen work the wheel while I watched, and the frame end of the trackbar had visible slop, as did the top end of the drag link. Its pretty bad. I'm not driving it until its sorted, but the parts should be here soon.

I don't have an RTT anymore. :(

ExpoMike

cshontz said:
The tire may have set it off, but I had Jen work the wheel while I watched, and the frame end of the trackbar had visible slop, as did the top end of the drag link. Its pretty bad. I'm not driving it until its sorted, but the parts should be here soon.

If you were still running the stock, high mileage track bar with your lift, that's exactly why it wore out. First with the high mileage, things are going to start showing wear but then add a lift and it greatly accelerates this, since the factory one was never designed (and a stupid design at that) to operate at the increased angle.

[/rant on] Not knocking on you but just a general rant, I find it interesting how people modify their vechicles beyond the factory specs and then wonder why parts break, wear out, etc. If you want to get the maximum life out of the suspension and steering, leave it bone stock, otherwise you need to deal with these short comings and buy upgraded parts. I have never understood the "I added xyz part(s) and now abc wore out, broke, etc." Well Duh!!!! It's not stock anymore is it? [/rant off]

Congrats on the choice of keeping the XJ and getting some upgraded parts ordered.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I agree with your rant. Our vehicles are of the most sound engineering in their factory state. Components and geometry being out of spec is the price we pay for a little extra payload / ground clearance. Then we have to do our best to bring it back to spec with further modifications.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I have the tie rod end. I'm just waiting on the JKS track bar. I'm not going to bother doing any work this weekend, but I might wash it. It still has filth on it from 5 weeks ago. Even a good wash is "love".

Its time to start thinking about tires. They're not in the budget at the moment, especially considering the A/C issue, but my BFG's were starting to get worn, and now that I have only 3 of them - I'm thinking I'll need new sneakers come spring.

I've always been a fan of BFG's, but the load range factor is enough to get me to look at another brand. If I can improve comfort further (and its already fairly comfortable) obviously without affecting trailability, it could increase my desire to drive / keep.

2750962871_072a414557.jpg

jim65wagon

cshontz said:
I've always been a fan of BFG's, but the load range factor is enough to get me to look at another brand. If I can improve comfort further (and its already fairly comfortable) obviously without affecting trailability, it could increase my desire to drive / keep.

Chris, the BFGs are good tires as you know, but there are alternatives. Get online (I know you know how to do that!) and check out Cooper, Dean and Mastercraft. Cooper makes them all, as well as the ProComp/ Mickey Ts and ******** Cepeks and various other brands.

Mark will tell you the Dean Mud Terrain SXTs are quiet and work very well offroad. I will tell you the Cooper Discoverer ST's are louder than your BFGs, work well off road, ride nice on-road and are wearing well.

When you get off the net, go wash that Jeep!

Last edited:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I can't wash it today. We're going over to the in-laws pool to hang. Otherwise, I'd be out there right now.

Mike actually turned me on to the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo, which looks pretty rockin' for a dd. Good reviews. Nice tread pattern for both on-highway and off, and best of all - load range C. I'm still going to keep an eye out, but thats the way the wind is blowin'.

bs_dueler_at_revo_wl_ci2_l.jpg

Starscream

Adventurer
Not sure what price point you are looking at, but I have become quite fond of the Michelin LTX AT2. I had an opportunity to participate in the Michelin Off-Road Driving Experience in VT a few weeks ago. This was one of the tires I evaluated. It really impressed me.

Quiet on the road, excellent handling and braking in wet & dry conditions, and the off-road capabilities were quite impressive.

The test vehicle was a 94 Range Rover LWB w/ coil spring conversion. Size was 245/75R16.

mi_ltx_at2_ci2_l.jpg

Just my 2 cents :)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Starscream said:
Michelin Off-Road Driving Experience in VT a few weeks ago.

Hey, I was sent there too, Matt. That is an awesome program, or whatever. I was even an active 'wheeler at the time and gleaned alot of valuable knowledge.

Your suggestion is noted. I've had Michelin LTX's before on a non-wheeler, and I was very happy with them. I'll take a look at the specs.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
FourByLand said:
Why did you ditch the tent?

It wasn't mine in an official capacity. It was essentially the showroom model for the company I worked for. I returned it upon changing jobs. :)

Parting with it didn't break my heart. While it was awesome to deploy and use, it was a little much for my dd to lug around everywhere. I'd do a RTT again, but on a trailer ideally.

2358766509_82d9153c34.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven