C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

AFSOC

Explorer
I'm running 245x75R16 Firestone Destination MTs on my 99 XJ...they're available in Load Range "C". I have found them to be very well mannered on the road and I am very satisfied with them in the off-highway terrain types predominant to FL. They might be worth your consideration if you're willing to look at well behaved max traction tire.

troy

Adventurer
I ran the 245/70/16 load range C Revo's for 2 years. I loved them when they were new, but they tended to wear faster than I'm used to. As they wore they became noticeably louder. It is still a very good tire and I thought traction was better than the BFG ATs when they were new.

However, I went back to BFG ATs (255/70/16 load D) and I love them. I'm also a fan of the BFG MTs. On my TJ I had over 50K on a set of the first gen KMs and they still had 15-20K left in them when I sold it. If we didn't have so much snow here I'd be all over the KM/2's.

ignorant

Observer
Wow.. Cheez-it from #jeep has all growed up..

I think I used to go by fuzzy on there.. I don't remember.

Anyway.. Nice rig man.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Well, my last "mod", of all things was a Land Rover bottle jack, which I purchased as a replacement to my broken factory jack. Now I can install my spare in the event of a flat - which is always nice. :)

3053386178_889548d67c.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
One thing that I decided when I went on the trip with the XV-JP is that I love having ample power. Granted, I don't plan to install three batteries and a solar panel, but... a dual-battery setup certainly moved up a notch on the priority list.

Also, this isn't very important, but I'd like to upgrade my Garmin GPSMAP 276C Chartplotter to a Garmin GPSMAP 640 Chartplotter. Even though I've had my 276C for well over a year, the marine/auto unit seems to be one of Garmin's last models to be "contemporized". I knew this going in, and I wouldn't mind getting a little bit closer to the bleeding edge this time around.

cf-lg.jpg

Last edited:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
The rear driveshaft has been making some noise, so I took it out to look things over. First, the slip-shaft seemed seized, so I had trouble getting it unseated from either yoke. I'd pry on it at the axle end, and instead of the shaft collapsing, it'd just push the whole transfer case forward. As I was prying, one of the endcaps even slipped off the joint at the double-cardan end, which wasn't a good sign.

3068899010_d5b2333efc_b.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Purple People Eater said:
Interesting. Do you know what caused the trouble? Was it a part malfunction, lack of maintenance, install mishap?

Nah, its just from normal wear and tear. Though it does seem premature, as the driveshaft is only a few years old. Hopefully a shop can service it back into shape without much trouble.

That looks worse/older than the one I pulled out of my '78 ScoutII and stuck in my XJ after the SYE install. I didn't even R&R mine, I just stabbed it in :confused:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Backwoods Rambler said:
That looks worse/older than the one I pulled out of my '78 ScoutII and stuck in my XJ after the SYE install. I didn't even R&R mine, I just stabbed it in :confused:

This picture was taken March 5th, 2006. :p

108264259_570bd9fe55_b.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Unscheduled Mod

Last month of I was generating some Christmas gift ideas for my wife, and this was among them. I ended up getting it from my mom and was pleasantly surprised. This will provide a home for my laptop, with which I will perform navigational geekery while out on the trail. I can't wait.

I'm still looking at navigation apps for my MacBook Pro. I like what I've seen so far of RouteBuddy. I haven't tried MacGPS PRo, but I wouldn't mind something along the same lines as OziExplorer if anyone has any suggestions.

3144761022_35edae8a91_b.jpg

Zeero

Adventurer
We've used Microsoft "Streets and Trips" on our onboard laptops in connection with our Garmin GPS. Give it a shot.

Nice setup you have so far though!

jim65wagon

cshontz said:
Unscheduled Mod

Last month of I was generating some Christmas gift ideas for my wife, and this was among them. I ended up getting it from my mom and was pleasantly surprised. This will provide a home for my laptop, with which I will perform navigational geekery while out on the trail. I can't wait.

So, I guess we'll be following you. I'm curious to see how fast you can locate Vance's place!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Nice Ram Mount system Chris.

I have found the Tough Tray to be a real SOB to work with. One of the clamps seems to always block the disc drive tray from opening, no matter where I position it. Makes changing a disc, or a DVD for Jr., a royal PITA. And placing and removing the laptop onto the tray seems to be a two person job, with the spring loaded base.

I like it and I'm sure you will too. It works wonderfully when it's all set up. I love the adjustable double swing arm, it provides a lot of options for use. One tip - get the screen support arm. If you intend to be moving with the screen up, the vibrations will wreak havoc on your hinges. The screen support arm helps tremendously.

Enjoy and a belated Merry Christmas to one of my favorite elfs.

:beer:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
There. This should be much better. It got some general tlc, lube, two new u-joints and a new "ball kit". Now I just have to bolt it on.

3182020033_6ba565443f_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven