C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
how do you like the RAM mount? Im looking to get one and would like to know how its holding up.

I like it. I've used it on the trail once and it did what it does adequately. When the top post is removed, passenger room is still sufficient. It seems to be a durable, well-engineered product. I have no basis for comparison, but I'll still go ahead and recommend it.

2 questions:

1) New tires?

2) Will that be your Christmas card this year?

No, and no. Although that is a good idea. They're both good ideas. I'm starting to get desperate for new tires at this point.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Chris, seems like you've been away for awhile. See this link.

Wow. Your Cherokee looks great, Bobby. I'm inspired!

Thanks for the suggestion on the Goodyears. I really like all of the siping on such an aggressive pattern. My goal with tires is going to be to not lie to myself: my frequency of going off-pavement has been reduced to once a year. But there are two things: 1) I want to retain "off-highway viability" so that I'll always have the option, and 2) ...I plan to offer my services as an "adventure" photographer (just a little something on the side), which should hopefully put me on the trail more.

In light of this mindset, I wonder if the Goodyears are too aggressive, or perhaps they're just right.

Yeah, I haven't been here much. Money woes. Marriage woes. Lack-of-nearby-places-to-go woes. A hankering-for-a-sports-car woes. But at least I have no shortage of time. So I'm going to hold on to the Cherokee for a little bit longer, and see how it woes... I mean goes. I'm curious about what life might be like without car payments.

If I could throw a chunk of change at it right now, I'd get a gear job, have my driveline tweaked (something is wonky in the tcase), and of course the new tires. Oh, I'd also see about the unsightly rust on my winch hook. heheh

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Did I ever post about how my A/C wasn't working? Well, it still isn't. I took it to the dealer this past summer, and they said there's a leak in the heater core, and it'll cost $900 to repair - mainly because they have to tear apart the dash, I guess. So, I still don't have A/C, which isn't a big deal since it's winter right now. But that's also pretty high on the list of things I want to fix.

Along those same lines, just recently (the past few months), settings 1, 2, and 3 on my blower do not work. 4 works, just fine fortunately. So if I want heat, or at least if I want the heat to blow out the vents, I have to put it on full blast. I looked into it today, and word on the Internet is that my blower resistor is bad. It controls the fan speed, except when it is set to 4, at which point the resistor is bypassed and the fan gets its juice directly from the battery. If it were a fuse, the blower wouldn't work at all - which it does.

What is the deal with my Jeep's HVAC?!?

I yanked the resistor and called Pep Boys. They have one for $42. I needed groceries though, so I'm going to put it off until after the holidays. I got food and other life-sustaining stuff instead. I'm going to fix it very soon though - because it's all apart and sitting on the desk in front of me.

4211264861_de47eef4b4.jpg

xr8dxj

Adventurer
Good deal! I'm having A/C probs not so much blower probs. But I imagine mine will go someday, so now I know. What type of video recorder are you using? I'm sorta in the market for a Flip Micro HD and a "grown up" recorder with image stabilization, HD, and the sort.

StanBo

24 Pages down and I really enjoyed the information on this thread. I picked up a 98 XJ for street duties and want to keep it where my wife can still drive it without worrying about it.

I found this thread when searching for OME parts and enjoyed your information.

Have you considered an ACOS system to replace the coil spring spacers?

Nikson

Explorer
Very Nice!!!

I love how you got everything neat & tidy... and the silver is one of the better colors for the new XJ... :) :) :)

How you like that notebook mount? Do you see that the lid(monitor) part is in need of reinforcement of some sort, or do you find it just fine?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
The Cherokee is in a sorry state at this point. This is due largely in part to significant life-changes, neglect, and simply not using the vehicle as God intended. I'm having trouble staying on top of it, and I just want to start enjoying the vehicle again. :(

Needs:
- Tires
- A/C Fixed ($900?!)
- Passenger Power Window Failed (both front door panels are currently off in an attempt to diagnose this)
- Tensioner Pulley (whining)
- Serpentine Belt
- Battery (left lights on while getting gas - needed jump after)
- Transfer Case Wonky (slips in 4-high)
- Rear Output Yoke has slop
- Pinion Seal
- Heat Soak Very Problematic (often yields misfire CEL)

4356807680_b33037d199.jpg

Otherwise, it's running great! :wings:

Did you ever have your A/C looked at? Mine took a dump and it's starting to warm up here in Cali!

It's not fixed, going on two years now. The dealer diagnosed it and found it was a leak in the heater core (is that right?) in the dash. It's a $900 repair, so I've been putting it off.

I love how you got everything neat & tidy... and the silver is one of the better colors for the new XJ... :) :) :)

How you like that notebook mount? Do you see that the lid(monitor) part is in need of reinforcement of some sort, or do you find it just fine?

Thanks Nikson. I do just fine without the display arm for infrequent use. Although some laptops have better hinges than others. For frequent/regular use, I think it'd be wise to purchase the arm.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven