C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I'm in a position to move forward with tires, and a battery, but little else. Going with Goodyear Duratrac 245/75R16 C, and the Diehard Platinum that Bobby specified above. Probably within the next couple of weeks.

I'm currently price-shopping on the tires. Looks like I can get them them from http://www.discounttiredirect.com/ - four to my door for $656. That's the best I've found so far. If anyone knows of better, let me know. Now I'm looking locally for mount and balance prices.

I still need to put my passenger-side door panel on. I need to replace my tensioner pulley (which is whining) and probably the belt. My one rear shock is loose at the top, too. I'm afraid to touch it, because you know what will inevitably happen - and I don't have the tools or the patience to deal with that.

njjeepthing

Explorer
I'm in a position to move forward with tires, and a battery, but little else. Going with Goodyear Duratrac 245/75R16 C, and the Diehard Platinum that Bobby specified above. Probably within the next couple of weeks.

I'm currently price-shopping on the tires. Looks like I can get them them from http://www.discounttiredirect.com/ - four to my door for $656. That's the best I've found so far. If anyone knows of better, let me know. Now I'm looking locally for mount and balance prices.

I still need to put my passenger-side door panel on. I need to replace my tensioner pulley (which is whining) and probably the belt. My one rear shock is loose at the top, too. I'm afraid to touch it, because you know what will inevitably happen - and I don't have the tools or the patience to deal with that.

Got a place here in NJ that will hook you up if you want to drive, I may be ordering the same thing, he'll give a better price for more tires!

BTW I sent you and email to your gmail account.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
So today I ordered tires and picked up a new battery. Those are a couple of much-needed items that I'm thankful I had the opportunity to take care of, but I still have a lot of maintenance to catch up on.

I probably shouldn't show you these pics. I'm a bit embarrassed by my naughty wiring bits that you can see plainly. But this was the Die Hard Weatherhandler that has been in there as long as I've had the Jeep. I purchased it back in 05.

For at least three winters, this battery has acted like it was ready to quit. At one point last winter, I left my headlights on while fueling up at a gas station, and after that short time, I needed a jump. However, I suppose the fact that it simply kept going for all this time speaks highly of it.

4544720392_194606f7f2.jpg

Now, per the recommendations of those of you on ExPo, I picked up a Die Hard Platinum. I suppose time will tell, but I installed it, and it worked, so... we're off to a good start. ;)

I had an Optima Yellow Top years ago and I was perfectly happy with it. It really served me well. I don't have the most demanding electrical needs, but I do enjoy my 12v gadgetry.

4544091347_656888ca5b_b.jpg

Last edited:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks, guys. Excited to get 'em mounted up. They're overdue, but I got a good run out of the BFGoodrichs. Well... 3 out of 4 of 'em at least.

The tires have some girth to them; more than I expected. The look bigger than my old tires, but possibly simply due to an illusion created by their full tread.

Here's another picture of their fuzzy newness.

4556612294_a26e921438_b.jpg

Oh, another tidbit of information -- I compared the weight of the Load Range E versus the Load Range C on a piece of precision measuring equipment which is a Weight Watchers issue digital bathroom scale, and the 245/75R16 E is approximately 6 lbs heavier than the C of the same size.

4555981925_22a625b98f.jpg

Not sure what kind of mileage people are getting out of 'em. From what I can ascertain, longevity of the tire is adequate. I recall one negative review pertaining to wear, but everything else I've read has been considerably positive.

We shall see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven