C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Nothing like new treads to make a feller happy. :smiley_drive:

Those are some good looking tires. It will be interesting to see how they work out for you once you get out again in the wide world.

BTW...Are you going to save the WV tire as a memento of goodtimes past? :elkgrin:

tacomadave

Adventurer
Very nice XJ you've built, love the overall look of it. Great choice of tires, I have been more than happy with mine.

98roamer

Explorer
My buddy just resold his. He put them on his WJ and they looked great. But he's planning on towing 3 sport bikes to Cali this summer and he felt after a test tow that the side walls were to weak. He felt that they swayed too much. Without the trailer they were great. I'm sure you'll love them.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Alright, they're mounted. First impression after years of running 10-ply BFG AT's is that these feel smoother, and distinctly softer. I don't think my reaction was, "omg - This is different!", but I feel considerably less of the road surface. Bumps are still bumps. I think I was secretly hoping for a more significant difference in harshness, but there is definitely a difference, and therefore I am happy.

As the tire rolls, it feels perfectly round, as if there is no tread at all. They are also well-balanced, and vibrations and wobbles are all but eliminated. If anything, this is just indicative of how bad (worn) my BFG's really were. Noise on the highway is an extremely quiet hum -- at least in their unworn, brand new state. It is minimally audible inside the vehicle with the windows closed and no music.

4562001502_58e87893cc_b.jpg

4562009710_f3aa453d80_b.jpg

Man, I really like your XJ! It's so nice, not over the top, yet still looking like it can get the job done. :smiley_drive:

Ahh, if only I could start over.... I have been thinking about undoing some things, but I think I've gone too far. Live & learn I guess.

ChuckUFarley

Doppelganger!

Nice looking Cherokee. :drool: Looks familiar....long lost twin!

841000470_ncavR-L.jpg

'Cept I went with the GY Silent Armor. Definitely a stiffer ride than the Kumho's I had on previously, plus it tends to wander a bit on the highway due to the wider tread.

Chuck

Krazors001

Could you post another picture from straight on the front and rear? I have been looking at replacing my Cooper STTs with these. 245s im assuming?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I haven't experienced heat soak in a while. I'm not sure why. This is when I've been driving for a while, turn off the car, and 20 minutes later when I start up again it sputters for 30 seconds and yields a CEL.

If I turn it back on only 10 minutes later, it runs fine. It also starts up fine 30 minutes later. So it's a relatively small window of time when it is susceptible to this. The reason for this, as I am led to believe, is that the intake is so hot that it evaporates the fuel in the fuel rail. So if you start the Jeep back up after so much fuel evaporates, but before it replenishes, you get a rough start.

Anyway, that was the back-story. My Cherokee has been prone to doing this for years, but I've gone weeks without it happening, which is odd. Especially considering that it's getting hot out.

This could be due to: (by my theory)

• Reduced ethanol content in fuel?
  • Much stronger spark from brand new battery?
  • Spark-plug defouled itself? (hahah jk)
  • I haven't started it up within the necessary time window?

Krazors001

Thank you for the front pic. That is definately what I'm going with next tire purchase. I'm going to wait until these STTs wear out more and go to these more road friend, but still aggressive tires. How is the road noise on these compared to the BFGs? I had a set of those before these STTs and they were way quieter. A combination of a much more aggressive tire and being load range e.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
How is the road noise on these compared to the BFGs?

Louder than my BFG AT's (although I don't recall how loud my BFG's were when new), but the "hum" is still very quiet, and not discernible over wind noise, and music.

Nice choice Chris.....going any place soon to try them out?

Corolla in a few weeks. I don't expect to spend much time with the Jeep on the sand, but if I know me, I won't be able to resist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven