C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I think we should all demand a beach pic as proof the tires got broken in properly.....

FINE. If I must.

4640839760_d31edf1fe3_b.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Some minor notes --

• The Goodyear Duratracs in Load Range C are stellar so far. They're a very comfortable tire, with great traction, and acceptable noise. I had them on a road trip, and on the beach (inflated).
  • The Die Hard Platinum has also been fantastic. My 12v fridge has been on for a month straight. It should be noted that I've been driving every day, but I'd wager the Jeep would still start well after running the fridge at a moderate setting for at least 36 hours.
  • I pointlessly replaced the idler/tensioner pulley to remedy some whining coming from the belt system. That was $16 misspent, but no big deal. Could've been worse. Since the belt was off, I was able to identify that the actual culprit is the power steering pump pulley. And of course since the belt was retightened, now the noise is worse. Ah well -- no big deal. Just annoying.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Well, I've been pretty much ignoring the power steering pump pulley whine, which gave way to squeaking... which, on a 90-degree Sunday afternoon, gave way to catastrophic failure, spewage, and enough smoke to cause me to gather my valuable at the shoulder of the road - just in case.

I abandoned the vehicle on the shoulder overnight, only a few miles from my house. Sure I could've probably driven it home, but the power steering pump was putting on quite a show, so the Jeeper in me opted to repair it where it failed.

This was $130 and 3 hours worth of roadside fun. But yay! It works great, and people no longer say to me, "Your Jeep sounds broken, brah." when it idles.

4745449009_cd474a70e5_z.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I figure it has been a while since I posted an update. Lately, the Cherokee has just been falling apart. During a heatwave, my rear-view mirror fell off my front windshield, shattered, and that event set things in motion.

Remember the power steering pump I replaced? Well, the pulley cracked, and would subsequently "slip" when I turned at full lock. Well, I knew this was a time-bomb and I drove with it like this for a few days. I had just rented a puller from Pep Boys, and I was on my way to another auto parts store for a new pulley, but it didn't make it.

Uh oh! This isn't going to last long!

4968302974_2813589462_z.jpg

Well, this is a good enough place as any to fix it.

4968308390_5fec4efbaf_z.jpg

The belt was intact, but it looked stressed and unshapely. I'm not surprised, since the power steering pulley blew into a million pieces at around 65 mph. Not much was left of it.

4968314754_bed9303046_z.jpg

So I got on the phone with my wife who came to my rescue, and drove me to the auto parts store that I was on my way to anyway. Picked up a new serp, too. I replaced the pulley and serpentine belt right there at the side of the highway. Wasn't too difficult.

However, that was not the end. As I drove away, and my electric fan came on, it caused front end of the Jeep to vibrate pretty significantly - like one of those "magic fingers" vibrating beds that you insert quarters into. Apparently, the exploding pulley cracked the electric cooling fan, and chipped away a piece of one of the blades. It was just annoying at first, then it got worse.

Yeah, that doesn't look good.

4968319944_080ed90799_z.jpg

Fortunately, I had a new one ($100) ordered and on it's way right before it all hit the fan. (lol) I unplugged it on my way home from work on Thursday night, and on Friday, my new fan arrived, which is much better!

4968325236_93a4ef347d_z.jpg

And then I tried to trade it in, but I wasn't satisfied with the numbers. So I still have it.

4967724267_b593ed6fc6_z.jpg

I'm tired of centrifugal forces having their way with my Jeep! Now I have a minor coolant leak (more like a seep), unrelated to the aforementioned issues. It's a non-issue... for now.

What have we learned from all of this? I've been a Jeeper for a looong time, and this one has been giving me a fair amount of trouble. I blame too much highway, on-pavement driving. Jeeps are funny things in that regard. They work better in natural, more technical terrain, as God intended. I believe the reason for this is probably because the vehicle adapts to harsher driving conditions, and the parts-rotation becomes more frequent, thereby striking out the "wear" from "wear-and-tear".

It's not happy being a daily driver. It longs for adventure.

Me? I still love off-pavement driving. It's in my blood and I enjoy it with a great amount of intensity and zeal. Aside from life happening... this is Pennsylvania, and I know where most of the trails go here. ;)

Mr. D

Adventurer
chris good luck with your jeep. I sold my 2003 cooper S, to buy my 2004 Rubicon the jeep takes me places the cooper will not

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Mini's are cool, but they ain't Jeeps. All summer I've been tearing apart and rebuilding various bits and pieces of my XJ, in fact I haven't driven a mile in it in nearly 3 months. So to get me by (and to get to work when it was too wet for the motorcycle) I bought a crappy old 89 S10 pickup for $500. It runs great and gets good gas mileage and is surprisingly dependable for having 200k miles on it. So don't despair on the jeep, or the heap as it might be called now, just find a modest little commuter and nurture the love for the XJ.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Through the Looking Grass

I call this picture, "Through the Looking Grass". No, I was just sacking out on the ground at a field near work on my lunch break, and took this pic with my iPhone. There is no point to this post.

4986639909_e7f2df5a2e_z.jpg

jim65wagon

Yes, there is. The point is you still own it, and even with it's recent problems, you still love it. The pics you take of it prove it............

can't argue with that logic can you?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
can't argue with that logic can you?

A little. I don't love it. I mean, I enjoy looking at it. But there are a million other cars I'd rather have. I don't mean to take it for granted, but it is my 4th Cherokee. It's practically all I've driven since I've turned 16, and I'm bored to hell of it.

I think if it died in a fire, I'd laugh and just enjoy the fact that I have a funny new story to share on Facebook, providing I wasn't in it when it happened.

Tell you what - ask me again when 1) I have working A/C, and 2) when I'm winding my way up a perilous, yet scenic, mountain trail. ;)

gasman

Adventurer
A little. I don't love it. I mean, I enjoy looking at it. But there are a million other cars I'd rather have. I don't mean to take it for granted, but it is my 4th Cherokee. It's practically all I've driven since I've turned 16, and I'm bored to hell of it.

I think if it died in a fire, I'd laugh and just enjoy the fact that I have a funny new story to share on Facebook, providing I wasn't in it when it happened.

Tell you what - ask me again when 1) I have working A/C, and 2) when I'm winding my way up a perilous, yet scenic, mountain trail. ;)

ha .. hey i bought my first cherokee in 86,, 300,000 bought a new one in 95, it has 350,000 and it is killing me, one thing after another, more money more money more money,, i got so pissed i went out and bought a 2010 rubicon 2 weeks ago, my face hurts cuz ive been smiling so much, but ya know what? my cherokee sits in the garage and i can not part with it, i know i should sell it , part it out , whatever but i just cant,,, i love that jeep

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven