C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Woot! Clean! ...and then I took it to the river despite the worn front end, because its the only way to transport the kayak.

2815691279_928502f0b3_b.jpg

Jay S.

Observer
Hey Chris,
I have a question about your IPF lights. Are you running them off the stock fog light circuit and factory wiring or do they have their own?
I'm considering buying a set, but the 65-watt H9 bulbs concern me....

Thanks,
Jay

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Jay S. said:
Hey Chris,
I have a question about your IPF lights. Are you running them off the stock fog light circuit and factory wiring or do they have their own?
I'm considering buying a set, but the 65-watt H9 bulbs concern me....

Hey, Jay. The IPF lights come with their own wiring harness which is really easy to install. I'm not using the stock circuitry, except I did choose to use the factory switch.

I'm not sure what concerns you about the bulb, but they're very efficient and produce great light. They're weather sealed, water-tight, and haven't missed a beat since I started using 'em. If its any consolation, Scott Brady used these same lights (the round version) on his Tacoma, which has seen all kinds of action.

362603133_bff7ff73f3_b.jpg

362602926_b4dcbf7c97_b.jpg

374051358_363307682b_b.jpg

LOL! These instructions crack me up.

362606263_2e7b2dc785_b.jpg

Jay S.

Observer
I guess I should explain that it's the factory wiring (that powered two 55-watt fog lights) that I'm concerned about, if it's up to the task of working with the bulbs that draw more amps.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
It wasn't mine in an official capacity. It was essentially the showroom model for the company I worked for. I returned it upon changing jobs. :)

Parting with it didn't break my heart. While it was awesome to deploy and use, it was a little much for my dd to lug around everywhere. I'd do a RTT again, but on a trailer ideally.

2358766509_82d9153c34.jpg

Thanks Chris, I always enjoy your thoughts and photos! I also look forward to your trailer build.

:p

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I hate wrenching. I don't know how you Jeepers cope with it. I can drive it from here to high-heaven, but I'd rather have a hole in my head than work on it. That being said, I'm mechanically competent (well... kinda) when something does need attention. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

Anyway, I digress. Yesterday, I installed the tie-road end and the... well... just the tie rod end. Nothing to it. Unbolted it. Gave it the old smackaroo - flop.

So then I moved on to the JKS trackbar. Got the old trackbar off easy enough and then sat down in a chair with the instructions. Okay, I needed a 9/16 drill... a 9/16 drill... - no dice. Off to Sears I went. I came home with a drill bit with the wrong shank. No time in the day left to go back, so that was that.

On my way home from work tonight, I replaced the drill bit, went home, popped the hole in the bracket and bolted the trackbar up to the frame. Well captain brainstorm here used a ratchet to hold the nut to the top. Cranked it so hard, and went to remove the ratchet from the top... wouldn't you know it was pinned against the frame!

Hours went by before I finally got it out of there. What should've taken 30 minutes was an epic ordeal. I am capable of making the most trivial tasks difficult.

After that was sorted at 10 PM, I did a driveway alignment. LOL! - yeah, that won't do.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
I hate wrenching. I don't know how you Jeepers cope with it. I can drive it from here to high-heaven, but I'd rather have a hole in my head than work on it. That being said, I'm mechanically competent (well... kinda) when something does need attention. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

Anyway, I digress. Yesterday, I installed the tie-road end and the... well... just the tie rod end. Nothing to it. Unbolted it. Gave it the old smackaroo - flop.

So then I moved on to the JKS trackbar. Got the old trackbar off easy enough and then sat down in a chair with the instructions. Okay, I needed a 9/16 drill... a 9/16 drill... - no dice. Off to Sears I went. I came home with a drill bit with the wrong shank. No time in the day left to go back, so that was that.

On my way home from work tonight, I replaced the drill bit, went home, popped the hole in the bracket and bolted the trackbar up to the frame. Well captain brainstorm here used a ratchet to hold the nut to the top. Cranked it so hard, and went to remove the ratchet from the top... wouldn't you know it was pinned against the frame!

Hours went by before I finally got it out of there. What should've taken 30 minutes was an epic ordeal. I am capable of making the most trivial tasks difficult.

After that was sorted at 10 PM, I did a driveway alignment. LOL! - yeah, that won't do.

Last time I tried to do something really, really, simple, like removing the torx bolts that hold the windshield bracket on, I managed to damage them badly enough that I needed a mechanic with an impact wrench to finish the job. I couldn't face the humiliation myself so I sent Debbie to do the deed. I have many mechanical sins to repent for.

So Chris, you're a pro - you finished the job by yourself and you can look your mechanic in the eye.

Nice Jeep, by the way.

Cheers,
Graham

SeaRubi

Explorer
wrenching

We've all been there, Chris. Just think, it could be much worse - you could be trying to maintain a Rover instead of a Jeep. :coffeedrink: (BTDTGTTS)

Similar story, I knackered the threads really bad on the bottom side bolt on the PS framehorn on my LJ when installing the warn front bumper. A dealership mechanic ended up spotting the missing bolt during one of the warranty maintenance visits and corrected my handiwork for free :eek:

TheGillz

Explorer
I have a love/hate relationship with wrenching, I usually love it for the first 20 min, then I screw something up and hate the next two hours fixing what should have taken an additional 10...but I do it again...

jim65wagon

Sometimes, Chris, its the easy-peasy that sneaks up and kicks you in the, well, posterior!

I almost burned out the tranny on Beths car this past summer just trying to change the fluid. You know what happens when you overtorque a cork gasket....it tears...which makes leaks...so you tighten it more...so it tears more....so it leaks more....10 miles to the store, blowing tranny fluid all over the exhaust; smoke billowing, horns honking, fingers flying (theirs not mine). Buy twice as much fluid as needed and some RTV. Dump half of purchase in the tranny in the parking lot, scoot on home (remember the smoke, horns and fingers - oops there they are again). Drop the pan at home burn your fingers coat it with rtv (pan and fingers) let it set 20 minutes while you nurse your fingers bolt it back up fill it with fluid clean up the mess wife comes home in the truck..."Hey Honey, hows my car?" "Fine dear, you know me, like Scotty with the Enterprise - runs fine but I canna gi ya more power, captain!" Whew!

At least the bar is on, get a proper alignment done then I'll tell you the story of the auto shop that wanted 600 bucks to change the tie rod ends and do an alignment on the car!

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I have the Cherokee out getting some much-needed tlc. Playing a little catch-up, but hopefully it'll be tip-top again after a good once-over. With gas prices how they are, I'd like to hit the trail sometime soon.

Next on the agenda is some new tires. The three remaining BFG's are still okay, but I'm running one junk Kumho from a mishap in WV.

2908562674_76004b2083_b.jpg

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Have you decide on what tires your mounting yet or are you still weighing your options?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Haggis said:
Have you decide on what tires your mounting yet or are you still weighing your options?

Leaning toward the Dueler Revo in 245/75R16 load range C, but I must admit the Jeeper in me wants something less sensible. I love the 235/85 BFG MT KM2's, but I can't justify it.

IH8RDS

Explorer
Chris,

What do you not like about the BFG A/T's? THat is what I will go with next. I currently run Firestone Destination MT's.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
IH8RDS said:
What do you not like about the BFG A/T's? THat is what I will go with next. I currently run Firestone Destination MT's.

I like everything but the load range E in the 16" sizes. They were designed with much heavier vehicles in mind, and as a result they feel like bricks on the lightweight XJ. The ride quality is still within the realm of satisfactory for a Jeep, but I want to try to soften mine up a bit. :)

Rest-assured, if BFG AT's were offered in 16" sizes in a C, they'd be at the top of my list. I love these tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven