one question...why did you use an SYE?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
LUISJG said:
great looks beatiful !!! were in the world you find it with 22 k miles :yikes:

I lucked out, but I definately paid for the low miles! :(

LUISJG said:
one question...why did you use an SYE?

A SYE with CV shaft is beneficial to help minimize the working angle of the driveline for any lifted application. Due to a change in the transfer case output, the driveline is highly prone to vibration on 96-01 model years, even with a minimal increase in ride height. Sure enough, the 96 Cherokee I had previous to this 01 suffered from vibrations with the exact same suspension. Now with the SYE, my XJ runs smooth as silk. :)

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
I lucked out, but I definately paid for the low miles! :(

A SYE with CV shaft is beneficial to help minimize the working angle of the driveline for any lifted application. Due to a change in the transfer case output, the driveline is highly prone to vibration on 96-01 model years, even with a minimal increase in ride height. Sure enough, the 96 Cherokee I had previous to this 01 suffered from vibrations with the exact same suspension. Now with the SYE, my XJ runs smooth as silk. :)

You talk like you sell this stuff or something. :xxrotflma

Truck is looking good. I really like the paint matched bumper.

PM what kind of deal you can get me on a ARB for a 86 4Runner. If you are going to make the east coast run Might come up to that and pick it up if its in my price range. What will I have to do to get my HS9500i into it?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Grim Reaper said:
Truck is looking good. I really like the paint matched bumper.

Thanks, Grimmy. I'm looking into your stuff. :ylsmoke:

209325524_59e25ad8e4.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
During my most recent outings I would do some recreational mapping with my GPS, depending heavily on the accuracy of my tracklog. Since I didn't have a legitimate mounting point for my Garmin GPSIII, it would flop around in my cup holder and often lose signal. Then I relocated it to under my windshield wiper arm, which greatly improved signal but introduced other disadvantages.

132649345_35e2d1dde9.jpg

Enough is enough! I eventually found myself on Ebay perusing GPS accessories, and I was impressed by the low cost of external GPS antennas. Garmin antennas are much more expensive, and I hadn't even considered aftermarket until now.

I purchased a Gilsson amplified GPS antenna featuring 32~55dB gain, 16' cable, 90-degree BNC connector, less than 2" square footprint, and a waterproof construction for $30 shipped from the vendor GPSGeek on Ebay.

http://www.gpsgeek.com/products/hig...nal-gps-antenna-for-garmin-and-icom-receivers
Retail link may expire over time.

Its difficult to ascertain product quality when you purchase unfamiliar items online, but upon receiving the antenna, I was immediately impressed by the build quality and performance. It seems to have been money well spent, and I can't wait to put it to the test.

227278217_343681271b.jpg

227278387_9f7ce8799f.jpg

A GPS mounting solution is in the works using RAM hardware. I'm currently using the dated GPSIII, but I have plans to upgrade to a 276C for which I already have bracketry.

Last edited:

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I wanna order one too....but i dont have GPS yet. ;)

I'm losing serious ground in the Expedition Cherokee parts race with you two guys! I gotta buy some parts! :D

Seriously tho...Chris your rig is looking killer bro. Cant wait till i see it in person, and sorry i couldnt get out recently.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
John B said:
I'm losing serious ground in the Expedition Cherokee parts race with you two guys! I gotta buy some parts! :D

Ugh. Trust me, all I can do is throw nickel-and-dime stuff at mine right now. I am still seriously tapped out from the tires-suspension-bumper-paint splurge. I am just hoping jolly ol' St. Nick hears my plea. :)

John B said:
but i dont have GPS yet

If you're interested, I'd be willing to sell you my 12 year old, well-used GPSIII for... (runs to look up price of new 276c) ...$600. :p

Last edited:

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
If you're interested, I'd be willing to sell you my 12 year old, well-used GPSIII for... (runs to look up price of new 276c) ...$600. :p

Be right back....lemme go check the couch cushions....in my entire neighborhood. :xxrotflma

LUISJG

Explorer
i bought my gps at ebay for 100 bucks, 176 gps map, im sure you can find a great deal on monochrome right now

Last edited:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I finally established a mounting location for my GPS using RAM mounting hardware. I wanted it to be in my line-of-sight, in a versatile, and reversible position that would leave little trace if I one day chose to uninstall the hardware.

231512021_ba68b0c7d2.jpg

I ended up sacrificing a vent in favor of using the real estate as a prime mounting surface. The ventilation duct still functions, and I decided that I can block it off if the temperature variations adversely affect the GPS and/or mount.

231511235_d5bcea2140.jpg

In order to recess the 2.5" mounting plate in the bezel, I trimmed it to roughly 2/3 its normal length, and reinforced the flimsy plastic with an aluminum plate resulting in a fairly sturdy mounting surface.

More pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cshontz/tags/gpsmount/

The below images and links refer to retail site GPSCity.com, and may expire over time.

rapb202.jpg

2.5" Mounting Plate w/ 1" Ball

rapb201.jpg

3" Arm w/ Double 1" Sockets

ramb238.jpg

Aluminum Diamond Plate w/ 1" Ball

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Hereafter, I'm probably going to rely on my blog for updates to my Cherokee, although this thread still offers more infomation for the time being.

Anyway ...

WOOT!!! Warn M8000 is a done deal! The gaping hole in my bull bar will soon be filled! Probably this weekend. :)

Also looks like I'll have some left over for lights, which will complete my front bumper suite. It'll be nice too, because nighttime visibility is currently pitiful. I can't wait!

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I think I'm going to start wrapping things up - you know ... relatively speaking. I want to prioritize a gear swap (3.55 --> 4.10), and some light rocker armor, and then call it done. The gear swap used to include plans for lockers, but they're hard to justify, and I think it'd be wise to keep it real. It is already clear that rocker armor is a necessity.

Otherwise, we'll start saving money for outings, home improvements, and quality-of-living type of stuff instead of spending every last dime on the Cherokee. We want to start looking for a bigger house soon, and I want a sailboat sometime down the road ... man, that would be great. That is distant unless we come into buckets of cash.

I was discussing with Jen, my vehicle feels more like home than home. You know, not saying I'd eat, sleep, or even bathe in a vehicle, but behind the wheel is usually where I feel most relaxed - providing I'm not so relaxed that I'm t-boning Ford Explorers. I just think my priorities may be askew, and its time for home to be home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven