C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Looking awesome Chris! :clapsmile

We should do a weekender out to Pa's Grand Canyon area this fall spotting for Elk.

:camping:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
For my listening pleasure, I chose to install a wired FM modulator behind my factory head unit that would provide an auxillary input for my iPod. I went this route because I prefer the ergonomics of the stock radio, and an FM modulator provides adequate sound quality.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cshontz/sets/1784678/

83548120_265babce62.jpg

The iPod is currently installed over the center console using RAM mounting hardware. A switch was included to enable and disable the FM modulator, which was mounted inside the center console's storage compartment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cshontz/sets/1784679/

111027486_f55ac470f9.jpg

The finished installation also includes a Belkin Auto Kit, which is essentially a wiring harness that provides power and audio to the iPod through its docking port. I'm pretty happy with this setup, but it may change as better iPod integration solutions become available.

111028088_4768038499.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
What is the name of the FM Modulator? Part Number? The nice thing is that you can use other audio devices with the modulator too.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
expeditionswest said:
What is the name of the FM Modulator? Part Number? The nice thing is that you can use other audio devices with the modulator too.

NOTE: Retail links in this post may expire over time.

Scott,
The FM modulator that I used was from Quadratec (company that sells Jeep accessories), and it wasn't really branded. It was an exclusive package that they put together for Jeep Wranglers that functions just as well for my Cherokee, and presumably most other vehicles.

Audio Input Adapter for 97-06 Wrangler

However, after my purchase, I stumbled upon this wired RF modulator by Harmon Kardon at my local Circuit City which was considerably smaller, less expensive, and by a manufacturer that I recognize. Assuming it offers the same functionality, I wonder if this would have been a better purchase.

Harmon Kardon Drive + Play Wired FM Adapter

You are correct in that I could feasibly connect almost any device to the modulator, from my CB radio to my laptop computer. Very handy. :)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
This past weekend, I disconnected the front swaybar on the Cherokee, and drove to a spot near my house where I could test the tire fitment in off-road conditions. The location is unremarkable - it is only a dirt parking area for river access. However, there is a short and uneven climb that works the suspension fairly well.

115093602_116f175731.jpg

Short Video Clip of Jeep Cherokee Test (.wmv, 3.3mb)

NOTE: If the above link should ever expire, please let me know and I will attempt to restore it.

As you can see and hear, upon compression, the tire rubs on the ends of the front bumper which extend to the front of the fender well. There is ample clearance at the top and rear of the fender well - the tire only makes contact in the front portion of the well.

115093371_1e50cf7fe7.jpg

Fortunately, modification of the bumper ends should alleviate the rubbing altogether. My only minor concern is that I wouldn't want this modification to diminish from the appearance of the vehicle. The front bumper is being replaced by an ARB unit which replaces the stock plastic bumper ends with metal - but I expect the problem to persist, so the ARB bumper ends may need to be trimmed slightly.

Coil spacers will be added to compensate for the weight of the winch bumper. The coil spacers should decrease the amount my front suspension can compress by roughly 1" ... I'm just speculating, but this might make the rubbing problem less severe.

rbraddock

Observer
Looking Great!

Chris,
Your rig looks great! I've been lurking for awhile getting ideas for my own 99 Cherokee Limited. This forum is the best and right in line with my plans, long distance self-supported exploration, thank you all.

Quick question for you: under the driver's seat I have what appears to be a mounting plate with three long studs coming off it...any ideas what this is for? I've checked the factory parts manual with no luck. The only reason I noticed it, I was scouting out potential storage space for an onboard computer, other electronics.

Thanks again, hopefully my own build will begin to progress out of the PAD stage.

Last edited:

xjclassic

not sure what those posts are for, but I mounted my CB there...mounted an external speaker under the dash on the drivers side.

Scott Brady

Founder
Randy! Welcome to the forum :) Tell us more about your Jeeps and website.

Chris,

Your Jeep is looking awesome. With the ARB bumper it is going to be perfect and adventure ready. It would be great to have you out west for some exploration. :camping:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
rbraddock said:
Quick question for you: under the driver's seat I have what appears to be a mounting plate with three long studs coming off it...any ideas what this is for? I've checked the factory parts manual with no luck. The only reason I noticed it, I was scouting out potential storage space for an onboard computer, other electronics.

Randy,
Thanks for the compliment, and welcome to the forum! :)

I can't say with absolute certainty what that mounting plate is under your driver's seat. I just took a look under mine, and there really isn't anything under there.

Looking under from front:
119347404_a928ba2289.jpg

However, for 1997 through 1999 Jeep Cherokees, there was a recall to relocate the airbag control module from under the driver seat to under the center console. Apparently, they had to move it because a wet interior would cause problems with the airbag system - including premature deployment. I would speculate that the bracket you see is the former location of your airbag module.

expeditionswest said:
Your Jeep is looking awesome. With the ARB bumper it is going to be perfect and adventure ready. It would be great to have you out west for some exploration.

Scott,
Thank you for the compliment as well. I'm a little frustrated, because I really want to purchase a winch before I install it - but my modification debt closely resembles your post count, so I'd really like to alleviate that first. I'm not sure if I'll have enough restraint to put off installing the bumper. Rest assured, whatever choice I make will be accompanied by pictures.

I actually suggested to my wife that we move out west for the sole purpose of being closer to you guys. She just laughed at me. :smilies27

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I brought home the ARB bumper tonight. It really looks great painted to match the body color of my Cherokee. I must've been absolutely mad to think I'd actually wait to install it until I have a winch! I'll probably install it this weekend (4/1/06) - but I'm also going to add some polyurethane coil spring spacers to compensate for the weight, so it'll be somewhat involved.

120572768_83fdaf69a1.jpg

rbraddock

Observer
WOW!!!! Looks real nice. Thanks for settling another decision in my own build. I was teatering between the ARB or a Warn, not any more. Can't wait to see it installed.:jumping:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I'm not done. I probably started my driveway time around 9:00 AM, and wrapped things up around 5:00 PM. It was a very leisurely pace, and I just enjoyed the fair weather and being outside more than anything.

During that time, I installed coil spring spacers to compensate for the weight of the bumper assembly, and then partially installed the bumper itself. My coil springs were fighting me - I really have to invest in a compressor, because my technique for installation and removal is questionable at best.

121560093_3a076f77a0.jpg

Tommorrow, I'm going to finalize positioning - there's a bit of a gap between the bumper and the body, particularly on one side, that I need to remedy. I also need to install and wire the marker lights. I might also install a roller fairlead to conceal the void.

I'm thrilled with the appearance. I am so happy - it was worth every bit of debt. :)

EDIT: I spent several hours on Sunday finalizing the bumper's position, bolting and unbolting, sliding, shoving, adding packers, hammering the uniframe, drilling, replacing broken drill bits, and so on. It wasn't as bad as I just made it sound, but it did take me alot of time to do very little. By the end of the afternoon, the bumper was firmly attached, and I decided to wrap things up because I was neglecting my family. I will complete the installation of the marker lights soon.

122153738_cf214e497f.jpg

Last edited:

blaze one

Adventurer
That looks great !! , especially with the color match paint job .
Only thing is ..... it just reminds me even more why I hate having a Chevy , no freakin' ARB products !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven