C.Shontz 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Progress)

ThePartyWagon

Chris, I just wanted to swing by and say you have a great looking xj, just went through all 33 pages. Purpose built without getting carried away. Love the stock-ish look you have kept.

I for some reason remember your username, maybe we ran into each other at the PA Jeeps Show or on another forum? My username on most forums is MG2000XJ, used to have a green 2000 on 35s.

I just recently picked up a 2000 Silverstone 2dr and hope to start working on it shortly. I bought a set of Icons like yours but, like you, cannot find too many load range c tires in the 16" flavor. Did the ride noticeably change from he BFGs to the Goodyears? Also, with the OME kit do you think a t-case drop would have cured the vibes as well as the sye and new d-shaft?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Chris, I just wanted to swing by and say you have a great looking xj, just went through all 33 pages. Purpose built without getting carried away. Love the stock-ish look you have kept.

I for some reason remember your username, maybe we ran into each other at the PA Jeeps Show or on another forum? My username on most forums is MG2000XJ, used to have a green 2000 on 35s.

I just recently picked up a 2000 Silverstone 2dr and hope to start working on it shortly. I bought a set of Icons like yours but, like you, cannot find too many load range c tires in the 16" flavor. Did the ride noticeably change from he BFGs to the Goodyears? Also, with the OME kit do you think a t-case drop would have cured the vibes as well as the sye and new d-shaft?

Thanks for the compliments!

Congrats on your two-door. They're getting rare! My first Cherokee was a 1990 two-door, and I don't think I appreciated how unique that was. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

I ran the BFGs for a long time, and got used to the ride. To the point where I could say I was comfortable. However, when I switched to the Goodyears at load range C, I did notice an improvement. The road surfaces felt a little bit softer, and more muffled. They're nice, and I wish load range C was a more common option for the 16" tire size.

At such a minimal ride height increase, a transfer case drop would've most certainly eliminated vibes. However, I wanted to maximize ground clearance and maintain good working angles. A fixed-yoke conversion is really the only way to go, and I typically recommend it as a must-have modification with any amount of lift, whether it would seem necessary or not.

pajeepman

Adventurer
Nice looking XJ I have always thought so though. I thought I saw it for sale on BMJA a year or two ago. I think it's on of the nicest mild looking XJ's I have seen. I would love to use the OME lift like you but for now, my budget is a used Skyjacker space/shackle lift. Hopefully someday mine will look very similiar to yours in Patriot Blue though. I already got the wheels. I just picked up the back half of a MJ that I am toying with turning into a trailer that would be painted to match my XJ, and have matching rims.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Bullet List

I'm just thinking aloud here. Spring is here, and I want to make things happen and really get out there this year. I'm off to a good start with a new kayak for the family.

Short-Term, Necessary Work

• A/C repair
  • Radiator and cooling system replace
  • Borla SS cat back (muffler has leak and starting to rot)

The stuff that needs attention really isn't that bad. The Cherokee has been running nicely, knock on wood, as I continue to rack up the miles just driving back and forth to work every day.

Miscellaneous

• Headlight wiring harness, and new headlights
  • Driver door hinge noisy, needs maintenance
  • Short in external GPS antenna (remove or replace)
  • Diagnose short in rear wiper when tailgate is up
  • Fix heat soak once and for all by insulating injectors
  • Vinyl torn on side of driver side seat (repair or cover)
  • Consider solutions for glitchy head unit
  • Replace air filter, long overdue

It was like new when I got it in 2005. It's starting to really resemble a broken-in vehicle, as you can tell.

Long-Term, Technical

• Gear job (3.55 -> 4.10, lockers?)
  • Wonky transfer case repair (or nv241or?)
  • Rear bumper and tire/gas carrier (there are none I like)
  • New OME springs, possibly HD rear for towing
  • Check transmission and transmission cooler
  • Tweak driveline angles

I love having lockers, but I almost never need them. Even when you think you need them, you don't really need them. A well-balanced vehicle with a sure-footed suspension goes a long way in providing traction when you need it the most. Not saying it isn't nice to be able to flip a switch when all else fails.

I want to put my spare tire on the outside of the Cherokee, and there are just no spare tire carriers that I like. First, most of them make you replace the bumper. My stock rear bumper is fine, quite truthfully. I just want a sturdy arm that can accommodate a spare, some fuel and water, and my Hi-Lift. AEV, why did you have to stop making your Cherokee rear bumper? I like the Wilderness swing-away for its utility, but not their bumper. I like the Detours USA stock bumper upgrade, but the swing-arm lacks utility. It's frustrating.

Long-Term, Overland

• Roof-Top Tent?
  • Roof rack w/ Pelican for exterior storage?
  • Adventure Trailer w/ RTT?
  • Tear-Drop w/ RTT?

I have no idea. These options are all cost-prohibitive. The lowest cost option is a small RTT and a small rack on the roof for my storage. I hate putting stuff on the roof - not to mention, the kayaks already use that space. But I want to make the Cherokee a viable family camper, and still be a sensible daily driver, and... I guess I'm just not going to be able to do that without a trailer.

A part of me likes the Tear-Drop w/ RTT idea. How cool would that be? It'd be like a double-decker overland condo! :D

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I like the Detours rear tire carrier too but am turned off of it for the same reasons. They are a pretty small scale fab shop, so I wonder if you could maybe get some custom work done on their system for not a whole lot extra money.

oldmant

This is damn near exactly what I have planned for my 01 cherokee.

Obviously your not done but what would you do differently looking back at all this?

thejafe

Adventurer
Thanks! Nothing at all... except perhaps get it out on the trail more. :)

Chris, will you be attending the OK4WD Open House this May? I'll be out there with pretty much the same crew as the last time you hit the trails with us. We'd love to have you along again this year :smiley_drive: !

'00 XJ

Great Thread!

New reader. Really enjoyed all the posts from your project. As a result, may have decided to get an Old Man Emu lift, and seriously considering an ARB bumper, after seeing both here. Feeling better about deciding to repaint my rig (original color) after taking it down for an estimate at a good shop.

Wondering please, did the ARB bumper fit your rig like they do in the picture right out of the box? Or did it require fender well trimming? It looks so great.

Also, regarding the Old Man Emu lift, I saw you used a slip yoke eliminator. I was thinking of going with a 2" inch lift after seeing yours, and wondered if I could get away with a transfer case drop. Guessing yes, if the actual lift is actually 2"...

Anyway, really inspired after reading your posts. How very cool.

Al.

TerryD

Adventurer
Also, regarding the Old Man Emu lift, I saw you used a slip yoke eliminator. I was thinking of going with a 2" inch lift after seeing yours, and wondered if I could get away with a transfer case drop. Guessing yes, if the actual lift is actually 2"...
Al.

You can run up to 3" on a Cherokee and be ok 99% of the time. I have run a 3" on my 98 XJ for 3 years now without a problem and no t-case drop. I was running degree shims to pitch my pinion up just a little though, but mostly because of the way my old springs were.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
It's been a few days since I posted an update, so... here you go...

• Replaced entire cooling system right before things got ugly
  • Fixed the A/C, and have working A/C for first time in 3 years

My next mod?

• Adventure

That probably didn't need to be in a bullet list, but except for the fact that it's getting nipply out, I'm in a better position to plan an adventure weekend. Time to stop planning pipe-dream mods, and get out into the woods.

This thread is like a time-capsule. You can literally watch parts rust. ;)

6016428520_da46791f11_z.jpg

TMPhoto

Observer
Still cant decide between an xj, zj, or wj for my first Jeep....yours came along quite nicely. Love your "OEM" philosophy and trying not to stray too far from what Jeep intended. Same philosophy I've had on my MR2 Spyder. Enjoyed the the read through this thread for the past 30 minutes :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven