Camel Trophy

Scott Brady

Founder
This is why this site is so cool, random guy joins with an original Camel Trophy 90 and one of the guys who competed in it happens to be a member.

Pics and stories about your time in the event would be cool

Agreed - very cool.

It is quite a statement how popular the Camel Trophy has remained, even 15 years on. I still remember reading about the Camel Trophy for the first time. I was a triathlete and was interested in the competition aspect. That one article literally changed my life.

toddz69

Explorer
Hi Guys.

I am looking for any articles about the event, Can any one help ?

As you wished, sir. From the August 1986 issue of Four Wheeler. Apologies for the crooked scans. If you desire hi-res or nicer scans, just let me know.

Todd Z.

Attachments

• scan0011 (Large).jpg
    scan0011 (Large).jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 24
  • scan0008 (Large).jpg
    scan0008 (Large).jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 22
  • scan0009 (Large).jpg
    scan0009 (Large).jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 23
  • scan0010 (Large).jpg
    scan0010 (Large).jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 22
  • scan0012 (Large).jpg
    scan0012 (Large).jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 18

zolo

Explorer
I have been thinking the same thing... There is still need and desire for adventure Competition such as this.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Not to mention the general "aura" that the Camel Trophy carried with it.

What dimensions of the original event do you hope to duplicate? Easy to do on a small scale with a few friends. A lot harder to do on a large scale with international teams and several multi-billion dollar corporate sponsors.

If you want the experience with the lowest possible barriers to entry, organize an "expo team" to run Baja 1000 next year.

Oilworker

Explorer
You need neither big $ nor political clout!

I wouldn´t "copy" the Camel Trophy, I would start just as the Camel Trophy started:
"The first Camel Trophy was held in 1980, when three Jeeps were driven by German teams from Belem to Santarem in Brazil. It was planned as a one-off event by the manufacturer of Camel cigarettes, RJ Reynolds, but it was so successful that the tobacco company decided to sponsor a similar event every year."

So all that´s needed is just a group of adventure hungry people with proper cars and a nice "playground".

As an alternative we can just retrace the original adventures as they did in Australia:
http://motoring.ninemsn.com.au/cars/news/8414721/4x4-event-the-camel-trophy

So long,

Robert

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I applied and was accepted for the last version of Camel Trophy...the G4 Challenge..the modern day version was not like the original Camel Trophy....I was a little disappointed in that. But it did not matter where I finished as the International event was cancelled because of the economy.....here are some pics.

I would love to see an event that mirrors the exact Camel Trophy event.....but with all the PC stuff in todays world there is some doubt about that......no cigarette sponsor, and it will have to be opened to both woman and men...plus it will be a reality experience so they will encourage "friction" between teams to get people in TV land to watch.

Scott

i-mWC4kh3-L.jpg

i-KXWpSxm-L.jpg

i-MPSJkPK-L.jpg

i-KMP8MLD-L.jpg

i-mRhmjNt-L.jpg

i-82dDVrb-L.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Oilworker

Explorer
I would have a great route that's never been done before.
It was supposed to be part of the original Transyberia Rallye track, but was discarded when Porsche bought the rallye.
Just a thought and maybe we could tackle this adventure for 2014?

97XD

It was supposed to be part of the original Transyberia Rallye track, but was discarded when Porsche bought the rallye.

Details of the route?

X-plorenow

Adventurer

I am in!

Oilworker

Explorer
Northern Russia. It wont get any tougher.
I know the part where you cross the Ural above the polar circle, which is awesome in every perspective!
I will meet Romuald Koperski early next year and will ask him if he'd like to prepare this for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77