Votes: 39 13.9%
  • AT Water Tank Heat Exchanger Shower

Votes: 13 4.6%
  • Other: Please post other preference and why

Votes: 73 26.0%

• Total voters

BorntoVenture

Adventurer
I use an EcoTemp L5 and love it, with the only downside being storage of all the hoses, pump, and adapters needed for use. I use a FloJet Automatic Demand Water Pump to supply the water from a 5-7 gallon container.

While I've only had this unit this year I haven't had a chance to use it in cold weather but I have tested it with a cooler full of ice water. With this setup you get 2-3 seconds of cool water then the proper hot water when you open the shower head. If you want you can circulate the water through the heater for a minute or two and it will eliminate the short burst of cooler water each time you turn the shower head on. In the warmer months this hasn't been needed but I did test it with the ice water just to make sure it could do it.

The ignition works quickly and gets the flame on within 1-2 seconds of flowing water so the average time until hot water is only 2-3 seconds at the low rate of flow I'm using.

The only modifications I plan to do to my unit is lengthen the shower output hose since it's rather short for my Cabana shelter not having any openings up high and I may mount the pump on the shower unit itself.

acasper708

Observer
I got a question. I've got a metal, water fillable, air pressure, fire extinguisher. It holds 2-3 gallons. It looks like this.
a6898c93-cc19-c7d9.jpg

I think I might throw it on a burner I have and see if it can handle some heat. Do you think it could be used for a camp shower setup?

Last edited:

wyojoe

Adventurer
I voted "other" because my choice is for a Camp Chef "Triton" on-demand water heater. It requires a pressurized source, which I provide by running a 12V pump. The pump takes (cold) water from a water jug, and provides pressurized water to the Triton, which then provides hot water to the shower.

gchinsr

Observer
I have voted other, as I decided not to have any more connections to fail on our trip to S America. We will be using a Hozelock shower, which is a garden type sprayer designed, and modified to use little water for overland travel. Originally I was going to transfer over the pump, and sprayer to my Scepter as a couple have done, but this would not fit into our Jerry can lockers, so we will take as is. It is a nice piece of kit, low maintenance, and armed with a spares kit should be trouble free. There are too many connections, added weight, and complexity for heat exchangers, so we will simply add some heated water to suit temps, instead of having to run the motor to heat up the water supply, or having a dedicated water heater running on propane, that take up a lot of space. This is going to be a sleep in, so space is at a premium. This is as simple as we can get, as I am trying to build our ambulance to be as light as possible, with as few systems as can be comfortable for the trip.
Greg

cold_n_wet

I have the tankless Eccotemp L5 with a Shurflo pump as well and it works great. Used it for a week trip last summer and it didnt even use a whole $2.50 propane bottle. A nice shower for two people can be had with 5 gallons easily. Heats up great and you can "preheat" your water if you use a bucket and recirculate it for a couple minutes. Showered in 40* weather with less than 40*water and had to turn the heat down on it after a 3 minute preheat.... I have about $200 in my whole setup including the pump and misc electrical and plumbing parts.

Jess

Thanks Jess,

I have one in the post, not sure which pump to go for, shureflow,flojet or whale, all seam similar speced at a similar price

Glen

BorntoVenture

Adventurer
Thanks Jess,

I have one in the post, not sure which pump to go for, shureflow,flojet or whale, all seam similar speced at a similar price

Glen

I've used Shureflow brands in the past and I've never had an issue with one, probably had 10-15 total on different equipment over the past decade. My FloJet is the first one I've owned but has worked flawlessly so far. The only reason I went with the FloJet is because the Shureflow with the On-Demand feature would have taken too long to ship before a trip and the shower was mandatory in 100° weather.

4RunAmok

Explorer
I got a question. I've got a metal, water fillable, air pressure, fire extinguisher. It holds 2-3 gallons. It looks like this.
a6898c93-cc19-c7d9.jpg

I think I might throw it on a burner I have and see if it can handle some heat. Do you think it could be used for a camp shower setup?

I would not put that on a fire with the top on.

Heat it up, put the top on, pressurize with compressor to green zone on gauge.

Never put a closed container over/in fire.

the dude

Adventurer
We went the home made route with a shur-flo pump and plate heat exchanger on the engine. I would never go back to anything else. All our hoses store in the tailgate and shower is always with us. You can recirc into a water container or have the truck running and shower.

Pros:
good pressure
infinitely adj heat
always on the truck

cons:
Vehicle needs to be running and hot
can't turn off the flow (creates a hot spot)

I really need to take a new picture with the hoses attached:

IMG_0660.jpg

and the inlet and outlet on the front bumper
IMG_0688.jpg

CruiserMog

I have to say after purchasing a Helton shower unit from Kurt / Cruiser Outfitters, I can't imagine anything competing with it. We fitted short lines onto the heat exchanger with quick connect fittings on them, which are secured right on the passenger fender well under the hood. It takes less than a minute to dig the hoses out of the truck, connect them, connect the 12V pump, drop it in the water supply, and be standing under hot water. I'd say it heats the water as advertised, about 50 degrees over ambient, and the pressure is just right, enough to be useful, not too much so as to waste water. Sure you can buy or fabricate a propane fired system for slightly less money, but for <300$ installed with all fittings and hoses, the total and complete lack of headaches and overall ease of use simply can't be beat. I give it a strong two thumbs up.

Oh, this was purchased due to the arrival of a baby boy, and my wife's insistence that running hot water would be necessary for her to go camping with a newborn. Well, I'm embarrassed to admit that after having used it all spring, I can't imagine climbing into my sleeping bag after a long dirty day on the trail without showering first, newborn or no...

comater

We went the home made route with a shur-flo pump and plate heat exchanger on the engine. I would never go back to anything else. All our hoses store in the tailgate and shower is always with us. You can recirc into a water container or have the truck running and shower.

Dude,
Where did you get the heat exchanger. After reading this thread I'm looking to go the cheap bastard way with this. Looks Good!

wardrow

Adventurer
Dude,
Where did you get the heat exchanger. After reading this thread I'm looking to go the cheap bastard way with this. Looks Good!

I just bought one yesterday from these guys http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=b3-12a They were very informative and had the best prices on the net that I could find. If they don't work you, search for "wort chillers" these are primarily made for the home brewer.

Dude did you get the 20 or 30 or 40 plate chiller?

the dude

Adventurer
It is actually a 10 plate. It is so efficient if you don't rev the diesel up to 1500rpm you will cool the engine right down.

I got it directly from the manufacture. SEC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk