Camper on my 130?

revor

Explorer
I spent many years wandering dirt roads and trails in a Diesel F250 with a pop up camper on the back! It was just way too easy, while I couldn't go as far off road as I can now(it was a 4x4) because of it's size we got into a lot of tight places.. And had a lot of great times.. Funny how getting dressed standing up has importance after spending time in a RTT.
I'd say if it suits you do it. I have to wonder that if I had that whole set up these days I might go more often.

Or better yet stick a 109 Ambulance body on it!

I saw a lot of the Tray campers when I was in Oz.. I love them! and very practical. I'll be putting a Tray on my next build..

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Funny how getting dressed standing up has importance after spending time in a RTT.
I'd say if it suits you do it. I have to wonder that if I had that whole set up these days I might go more often.

QUOTE]

That just about hits the nail on the head. What a luxery it would be to actually stand up and get dressed for skiing when it's puking snow outside or get ready for kayaking when it's pouring rain and freezing. A little thing like being able to stand up and get dressed or sit down put ski boots on with leg room. And how about climbing in after a day of skiing and sitting down at a table while a pot of hot coffee brews. Screw asthetics, I want pure function.

Wonderland

Explorer
Yeah, a flatbed/trayback unit seems like it would be much more functional. Probably wouldn't be too hard to fab up a flatbed deck for a Defender. When you remove the camper, you wouldn't have walls anymore for your load, but depending on what you wanted to haul, probably wouldn't be a problem.

The UTE LTD (USA) site isn't working.

This NZ will have to do, the sides can fold down or be removed completely.

http://www.titandecks.co.nz/sitemap.html

SeaRubi

Explorer
have you considered adding something like a westfalia syncro to your stable?

Bunk.jpg

Here's an '84 in Modesto - asking $5600. easy on gas - lots of room. this one's not a syncro, but I wonder how hard it is to modify.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/1616133096.html

Last edited:

JSBriggs

Adventurer
I think a slide in is a great idea, however Im always leary of campers and trailers because it seems alot of them leak. That and with a 1x2 wood frame, they dont hold up on rough roads.

As for aesthetics, to each his own but there are plenty that have some style.
Maybe an older aluminum 'airstream' styled one, or an airstream reworked into one (the older long ones are fairly inexpensive)

paco.jpg

Then again the box from the ice cream truck would make a nice conversion, but it would go to work with you everyday.

4708.jpg

interior-shelves.jpg

-Jeff

Scott Brady

Founder
If you want a camper on your 130, the FWC is the best choice. If a camper will allow you to ski more and spend more time in the desert with your family, then go for it. . .

SeaRubi

Explorer
I am pretty sure that 130 has a Chevy motor in it, purist Landy owners are weeping...

4708.jpg

They're weeping all right, because they haven't got a fraction of the effort or the craftsmanship invested into their own vehicles as has been lavished on this one. Everything about the Ice Cream truck is 110% :costumed-smiley-007

Wonderland

Explorer
They're weeping all right, because they haven't got a fraction of the effort or the craftsmanship invested into their own vehicles as has been lavished on this one. Everything about the Ice Cream truck is 110% :costumed-smiley-007

I have seen the build, it is bada**!

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
If you want a camper on your 130, the FWC is the best choice. If a camper will allow you to ski more and spend more time in the desert with your family, then go for it. . .

I have been swaping info with Marty at ATC in addition to looking at FWC. ATC seems like they would be willing to do a more custom build to fit my needs.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Do you want to do a flat bed design, rather than the "standard" slide-in ? I think FWC did one, once ? Not biased one way or the other - I think you are on the right track with a great idea !

I have been swaping info with Marty at ATC in addition to looking at FWC. ATC seems like they would be willing to do a more custom build to fit my needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3