Camper on my 130?

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
You will be endlessly ridiculed in the Land Rover community, both online and off, but you already know that. If you are ok with that it seems like a pretty awesome combination.

Just remember that either way you go you are "ruining a perfectly good Defender" and will be ridiculed.

That is without question. I stopped worrying about what other people thought about my truck a long time ago, in the grand scheme of things my truck means little to me. Dont get me wrong, I love driving my truck and would never dream of selling it but it is just a truck and nothing more.

My truck has stopped being a Land Rover over the years and has become more of a basecamp vehicle for climbing, kayaking and skiing thus the desire for more comfort when out and about. The 130 is my daily driver, I have no other car so I am taking this pretty seriously. I like the FWC because it's easy to remove and leave at home between trips. The Flipac although lighter and smaller doesnt seem like the kind of thing you would take off very easily.

The overhang of the FWC looks pretty bad and if I end up going that route I envision making racks for NATO fuel cans or water cans to fill in that area.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
IMG_14158lrg.jpg

Absolutely beautiful! Love it! Go for it!

You will be endlessly ridiculed in the Land Rover community, both online and off, but you already know that. If you are ok with that it seems like a pretty awesome combination.
Just remember that either way you go you are "ruining a perfectly good Defender" and will be ridiculed.

Why? Don't forget that outside the US, Land Rovers are work trucks and are used as work trucks for any thing you might throw at them, like hauling an off-road camper. Nobody would ridicule somebody to put a FWC on a F150. So where is the problem? Just here in the US they are treated as status symbol or yuppie vehicle.

Some quick back-ground: I was a die-hard Landy guy back in Europe, owning over time a Series IIA Ambulance, a 90 TD and a Defender 110. My dad still owns my Defender so I get to drive it ever now and then when I'm back in Europe. Coming to the states, I could not believe what Land Rover itself made out of their brand here in the US. I could not identify myself with the stigma Land Rover has here in the US and converted to Jeeps. Still love Series III and Defenders, but since I have my 4 door JK Rubi, hardly miss my Defender anymore.

Last edited:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Honestly I'm thinking of selling my big box and putting a tray-back camper on my own 130.

Critics be damned I say!

L&B on the Ice Cream Truck, Michael !
http://www.langerundbock.com/expeditionsfahrzeuge/konfigurator/?action=type&typ=5&code=0

Here's the plan: hit the lotto, set up a 130 for it, ship it to Langer & Bock, go visit, watch them put a top-end sailboat interior in the "Basisform" box (hard-sided/no cab over) and then back into a container and home again ! :D

You are already more than half way there !

It's Friday, so gotta go get that winning ticket ;)

Cheers,
Frank

Wonderland

Explorer
Tray Back? I'll have to google that. I am open to all suggestions.

This is my favorite Tray Camper by far, watch the video. The thing is huge on the inside. Plus I love how you can access the storage from the outside and the inside.

http://www.wedgetailcampers.com.au/

My wife would love to import one, that or I am going to build one. Probably be able to build 3 of them for the cost to import one.

Photo Gallery:

http://www.wedgetailcampers.com.au/gallery.html

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
This is my favorite Tray Camper by far, watch the video. The thing is huge on the inside. Plus I love how you can access the storage from the outside and the inside.

http://www.wedgetailcampers.com.au/

My wife would love to import one, that or I am going to build one. Probably be able to build 3 of them for the cost to import one.

Photo Gallery:

http://www.wedgetailcampers.com.au/gallery.html

Wow, I like that one a lot! I wonder if one could build something like that without too much trouble. Could be a slide-in box so that you could remove it like the FWC. Not quite as complicated but...

Picture a simple cargo box, with a RTT on top. The tent opens towards the back of the truck. The back of the cargo box has a wall that folds down to give you a platform, just like that wedgetail. The RTT would have an extended awning, and walls that would seal to the platform. The awning/platform section would give you a place to set up your kitchen inside if desired. The bed would be a short hop up from the level of the platform. The platform would be 2-3 feet off the ground, with folding stairs. So going to the bathroom would be a simple hop down onto the platform, and descend a few steps to get outside. The rest of the box would be storage.

Wonderland

Explorer
Wow, I like that one a lot!.

So many clever ideas on that one.

I am seriously considering ditching my conventional bed on the Tacoma and building a Tray/Flatbed. Would make the vehicle much more versatile.

I am more about function than form...:ylsmoke:

I do believe FWC has made a flatbed version of theirs. Saw picture floating around that was mounted to a Dodge.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, a flatbed/trayback unit seems like it would be much more functional. Probably wouldn't be too hard to fab up a flatbed deck for a Defender. When you remove the camper, you wouldn't have walls anymore for your load, but depending on what you wanted to haul, probably wouldn't be a problem.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
"L&B Baby!" LOL ! That's was what I said to myself, before I posted.

You're right, Michael, LB-L262.I.

If one is going to go for it, then the full custom one is the one to have !

"stupid" ? ? ? I would not say that at all - we're all learning, everyday, and that option was not completely clear here at that time. It takes time to reach new levels of awareness.

Anyway, priorities change with time. At that time, it was the right answer to the question then...

Cheers,
Frank

L&B Baby!

LB-L262.I

That's what I should have built. I was just too stupid to know better...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3