Canadian Disco 2 Build

Stock Tyres

Observer
What is the advantage in your mind by removing the rear tire from the door and adding a bumper swing away?

Two swinging items are better than one?

Clearly the huge spare tire is over the working limit for the door hinges and its a real possibility that they could fail at anytime.

Plus swing away tire carriers look way cooler obviously.

RonL

Adventurer
There are couple reasons, mine was that the added weight of a 5 gal gas can and the over-sized tire was more weight then the door was designed to hold. I felt like it was trying to tear the door off the hinges with every bump.

Add a shovel, ax, gas can, and a larger tire and a swing arm is needed.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
If a 1" is too close, it is not to late to add an offset by notching the swing arm and welding back together like you did on the corners of your bumper.

How are you mounting the tire?

I think the 1" is going to be ok. I think it's too late to notch it at this point anyway, since I've got that diagonal in there already. Not that the angle grinder couldn't undo all of it... ;) But I did think of doing something like that before I built it, but I wanted the swing in-line with the bumper intead of standing out from it. In hindsight, I coulda shoulda woulda made the bumper out of 3x6 or something. I don't like the massive shelf some of the other aftermarket bumpers provide, but something in between wouldn't be bad...

Now that I've got the actual hinge pin installed and the swing mounted for real, it appears it's too close to the actual hinge on the door and hits. I may need to notch around that. Not a big deal. But before I do that, I am in the process of flame straightening the main beam because it warped a bit so the ends are a little closer to the body than the middle.

I've got an 8x8x1/4 plate that will be welded to the end of the tube and will have 3 studs in it. I'm also debating if I should bother having a hub centering tube piece or not. Just to make it easier to get it on and off. Could also use a tube through the center to make a bracket for something else in front of the tire, like the license plate, or I don't know what.

What is the advantage in your mind by removing the rear tire from the door and adding a bumper swing away?

Two swinging items are better than one?

First, to take the strain off the rear door hinge. I don't know exactly what they can handle, but I've read of some people talking about them failing. I likely will go to a 265/75/16 tire at some point, and planning for it now. Secondly, and more importantly, the tire will no longer be protected from below by the bumper. So if the spare takes a hit, I would rather all those forces not be passed directly into the door, it's hinge system, and the chassis... Lastly, I wanted to be able to carry some Jerry cans back there (instead of the roof), shovel, and axe, so I knew I needed some kind of carrier for that anyway.

RonL

Adventurer
3 lug nuts, why not 5? I have 5 on mine because if you"lose a nut" from one of the other wheels you have 2 spares you can use.

I lost one in AZ last year.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I guess, though I'll have to find 2 more lug nuts. ;)

Hey, maybe Ben should get a swing away to carry a couple extra gas cans too. He needs them because he can't tell the difference between 15.5mpg and 18. He might run out. :ylsmoke:

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
A lot of Jeep guys I know mount extra spindles and hubs on their swing-aways, so they have the extra parts in case of failure in a place where it doesn't take up any space. Just an idea.

Roverhound

Adventurer
I guess, though I'll have to find 2 more lug nuts. ;)

Hey, maybe Ben should get a swing away to carry a couple extra gas cans too. He needs them because he can't tell the difference between 15.5mpg and 18. He might run out. :ylsmoke:

I think Ben could probably teach you a thing or two, but you probably wouldn't listen.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I think Ben could probably teach you a thing or two, but you probably wouldn't listen.

No, you're right, I wouldn't listen to him, for the same reasons I don't listen to you.

A lot of Jeep guys I know mount extra spindles and hubs on their swing-aways, so they have the extra parts in case of failure in a place where it doesn't take up any space. Just an idea.

I have thought of that type of thing, though I doubt it's realistic with a D2's systems. If I decide to later, won't take long with a grinder and welder to make changes.

Got the beam straight and reassembled again, and it's just too close to the rear door. I probably will have to figure out a way to mount the swing slightly aft of the bumper but without looking too much of a cludge.

benlittle

Adventurer
come on, ben. you've been around long enough to know why.

I thought you were going to crawl back into the hole you came out of...? Yes, I know why. I just wanted to know why HE wanted one.

Rob, how are you going to hit your rear tire with your trailer hooked up? Or is this for shorter expeditions...? You wouldn't want to leave your breakfast nook behind ;)

R_Lefebvre said:
No, you're right, I wouldn't listen to him, for the same reasons I don't listen to you.

Because you're Canadian?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Rob, how are you going to hit your rear tire with your trailer hooked up? Or is this for shorter expeditions...? You wouldn't want to leave your breakfast nook behind

The truck serves many roles.

attachment.php

Because you're Canadian?

Because you're obviously closed minded to so many possibilities, I don't respect your opinion, you're not an authority on anything.

"The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye. The more light you shine on it, the more it will contract." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Last edited:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
As cute and amazing as all this intellectual rib poking is to follow can you 'tards ******** with all the derogatory remarks back and forth?

It's tiresome and a waste of everyone else's time/bandwidth.

If you have a point to make then make it.

Otherwise ********.

Please and thank you.

Roverhound

Adventurer
As cute and amazing as all this intellectual rib poking is to follow can you 'tards ******** with all the derogatory remarks back and forth?

It's tiresome and a waste of everyone else's time/bandwidth.

If you have a point to make then make it.

Otherwise ********.

Please and thank you.

That was pointless.

:)

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Seriously, all of you go back and look at your posts for the last couple days and ask yourself, "do they really add anything useful to the thread?" As a forum user, it really gets old wading through page after page of childish needling just to see some technical information. When in doubt, just don't post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk