Canadian Disco 2 Build

Yorker

Adventurer
I don't care about identity. I care about drivability. If I wanted to row a big box of rocks, I'd buy an F250. I hate driving American trucks, that's why I didn't buy one. If I was going to accept it now, I'd be better off selling this, and buying an F250. It's not what I want. Case closed.

Well so much for driveability as it stands now.

How exactly would American transmission and perhaps engine make it any less drivable or less reliable?

What would you have done had this failed like this on the James Bay, Trans-Taiga, Dalton Highway, or Route-Du-Nord roads?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
How exactly would American transmission and perhaps engine make it any less drivable or less reliable?

Reliable? I'm not touching that one. Drivable? I don't know if you've spent much time in a D2. If not, nothing I say could convince you. If you have, and you don't know what I'm getting at, then we have different preferences, and nothing I say could convince you.

What would you have done had this failed like this on the James Bay, Trans-Taiga, Dalton Highway, or Route-Du-Nord roads?

Paid for a VERY expensive tow I guess.

Yorker

Adventurer
Reliable? I'm not touching that one. Drivable? I don't know if you've spent much time in a D2. If not, nothing I say could convince you. If you have, and you don't know what I'm getting at, then we have different preferences, and nothing I say could convince you.

Sure I've spent plenty of time in a D2, D1, RRC too. I still fail to see how a well concieved engine and transmission swap will deleteriously impact the so called drivability. Do you seriously think going from a 4.6l gas engine to a 2.5l diesel isn't going to impact the driveability not to mention parts availability? As for reliability that would mostly be a function of whatever componenets you chose off the parts shelf wouldn't it?

You have already made up your mind though, buy a half cut with a TD5 and -R380 and get on with it.

muskyman

Explorer
Just go buy a used transmission, slap it in and be done with it. They can be had for $500-$600 all day long. Pick one up this afternoon and you can be back on the road by Sunday. Please don't make us agonize over eight months of posts about what manual transmission you're going to attempt to install.

And Lefebvre, make sure you get the transmission oil cooler and lines from the junkyard while you are there....Yours are going to be full of the same crud that's in your tranny and impossible to flush out.

Bingo we have a winner:victory:

the fact that this simple failure is resulting in a complete redesign of a DII is kinda crazy.

DII's drive great the way they come. The one thing that a DII is better then the other rovers is the way they drive. Thinking you will improve on this and do it cheaper then a rebuild is just so short sighted and misguided.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Get over it. I just like to row my own gears. Geez. Can we move on already? Holy ****!

Last edited:

rovertech

Observer
Get over it. I just like to row my own gears. Geez. Can we move on already? Holy ****!

Rob,

Do whatever makes you happy but go into it with eyes wide open. I have helped many rover owners chase their unicorns with stuff like this and guess what. The unicorn always ends up being a donkey with a massive goiter on its head. The phrase "straight forward swap" should be permanently banned from rover speak. :)

michaelgroves

Explorer
Just go buy a used transmission, slap it in and be done with it. They can be had for $500-$600 all day long. Pick one up this afternoon and you can be back on the road by Sunday. Please don't make us agonize over eight months of posts about what manual transmission you're going to attempt to install.

I remember reading your own conversion posts, and wondering, wth would you want to do that??? But then, I did a 6x6 conversion to a Defender, and I am sure people wondered why I didn't just go and buy a different vehicle in the first place.

The point is that we all have our little quirks and preferences. And I am sure no-one knows better than you that half the fun is in the challenge of getting it all done the way you want it. Asking advice is just for information - we can't get our noses out of joint if someone decides not to take it.

I personally understand why someone would agonize over that kind of decision, especially on a complex truck. And I think the write up will be very instructive and possibly entertaining in a gory kind of way :)

michaelgroves

Explorer
Rob, maybe you should look at something like this:

I am sure you could get one including an R380 too. And maybe any console bits. Then it's just a matter of hooking up the computers...

I guess the issue is the importation?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Darn, that would be perfect. Too bad I missed it! And yes, I don't see why he wouldn't sell the lot, as I doubt he had any use. My guess is he only listed the engine because he figured the rest would be unwanted.

Importing is not an issue. I'm talking with two local shops who do this sort of thing. They bring in 300's all the time. They just haven't done a TD5. But they know how to get the parts in. One of them favors having a breaker harvest all the bits and put it on a skid. The other is fine importing a front clip. I prefer the front clip approach, as it's the best way of ensuring you get EVERYTHING. He said I could just deal with Equicar direct, and then he can look after the shipping.

I can't believe how cheap these things are over there. There's this company, and another one, advertising engine swaps, labour included, for 2000 pounds.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LANDROVER-DIS...FI&otn=20&po=&ps=63&clkid=8522393818697374073

This is what I need right here. Have sent inquiry.

2781a.jpg

Last edited:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I personally understand why someone would agonize over that kind of decision, especially on a complex truck. And I think the write up will be very instructive and possibly entertaining in a gory kind of way :)

That's why I'm subscribed to these threads (the gory part). ;)

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Rob, maybe you should look at something like this:

I am sure you could get one including an R380 too. And maybe any console bits. Then it's just a matter of hooking up the computers...

I guess the issue is the importation?

I'm guessing it is important to make sure you get the correct year range of TD5:

"This is a late type engine which has the better injectors and the bottom end that doesnt fall apart."

WTH is it with early run LR stuff anyway? I just had to chuckle to myself about the comments earlier in this thread about "American truck reliability"

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I prefer the front clip approach, as it's the best way of ensuring you get EVERYTHING.

I agree with this. In spite of my background I am still very much a visual learner when it comes to this kind of stuff. It is good to see how/where it was done at the factory with respect to loom routing and such.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
WTH is it with early run LR stuff anyway? I just had to chuckle to myself about the comments earlier in this thread about "American truck reliability"

Who said that? I talked about Driveabililty.

michaelgroves

Explorer
Darn, that would be perfect. Too bad I missed it! And yes, I don't see why he wouldn't sell the lot, as I doubt he had any use. My guess is he only listed the engine because he figured the rest would be unwanted.

Importing is not an issue. I'm talking with two local shops who do this sort of thing. They bring in 300's all the time. They just haven't done a TD5. But they know how to get the parts in. One of them favors having a breaker harvest all the bits and put it on a skid. The other is fine importing a front clip. I prefer the front clip approach, as it's the best way of ensuring you get EVERYTHING. He said I could just deal with Equicar direct, and then he can look after the shipping.

I'd definitely go with the whole front end, if you're going to the trouble of shipping. In fact, why not all the bits? You need the TD5, R380, and console bits, and maybe it would be useful to have the LT230 already bolted on, and why not a couple of spare axles complete with diffs, a couple of propshafts, and the exhaust system, and radiator? Nothing wrong with a spare ECU, and some seats, headlights etc., either...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3