Caracas 2000-2002- left the day of the shootings packed and left in 4 hours
2002-2006 maturin
2006-2008 TX-CO-CA in the good ol usa
2008-2010 Muscat Oman
2010-2011 Qatar
2011- Bogota

Lets just say I move arround alot !

GR 1910 , Tucan mentioned the express hijackings-not me

here in Bogota they call them the paseo millonario- I know two people that enjoyed that experience in the last year !

Have fun in the Gran Sabana its one of my favorite places on the planet

here's a thread I started after I left back in 2008 but never really finished it
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/11002-Venezuela-info-thread?highlight=gran+sabana

Hopefully Henry wins the next "election" and things will get better------like allowing the FUN RACE to re-start !

Tucan viajero

Adventurer
Hey Tucan, fantastic adventure:smiley_drive:

Thanks for taking the time to share this (and massive kudos for translating it!)

Question: How did the 71 shortie manage all those great distances between fuel stops on only 90L fuel capacity? Was a larger tank installed, or fuel stops were not an issue?

Thanks!

This 71, owned by the 70 year old birthday man, doesn't have an additional gas tank installed. For this trip he relied on two jerry cans he carried inside the car, in some sort of stand he made for that purpose, and a third, stock jerry can, affixed outside the small rear door. The picture below shows this clearly:

1234CcsCsco7dias.jpg

During the entire trip, we only encountered fuel supply problems near the Venezuelan borders and during the long and slow crossing of the BR-319 in Brazil.

Tucan viajero

Adventurer
I think the numbers you got there are quite wrong... at least with the kidnappings... I at least have 5 close friends that had been "express kidnapped"...

Yes you are right. My mistake. I meant to say that the latest quasi-reliable estimations I read, put that figure in 6 express kidnappings per day, just in Caracas.

Tucan viajero

Adventurer
Always look forward to your updates and adventures

"So you lived in Maturin, and now are in Bogota. Interesting, to say the least"

I class venezuela as my second home !

Ciudad Ojeda 1999-2000
Caracas 2000-2002- left the day of the shootings packed and left in 4 hours
2002-2006 maturin
2006-2008 TX-CO-CA in the good ol usa
2008-2010 Muscat Oman
2010-2011 Qatar
2011- Bogota

Lets just say I move arround alot !

GR 1910 , Tucan mentioned the express hijackings-not me

here in Bogota they call them the paseo millonario- I know two people that enjoyed that experience in the last year !

Have fun in the Gran Sabana its one of my favorite places on the planet

here's a thread I started after I left back in 2008 but never really finished it
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/11002-Venezuela-info-thread?highlight=gran+sabana

Hopefully Henry wins the next "election" and things will get better------like allowing the FUN RACE to re-start !

Hi!

Having lived in so many different and contrasting places, I’m sure you have a lot of interesting stories to tell.

Read through your old thread. Too bad you stopped posting. That Ford Explorer with the Fun Race decals really managed to put a big grin on my face. I was very active with Fun Race organization from day one until it was mercilessly murdered for political reasons. Maybe you should seriously consider giving us a similar new thread with your trips, experiences and impressions of Colombia.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Tucan viajero

Adventurer
Caracas to Cusco in 7 days. Day 9

Sunday December 11, 2,011
From Cusco to Nasca.
Distance: 411 miles (661 Km.)
Total Time: 11 hours and 27 minutes
Average Speed: 35.9 mph (57,7 Km/h)
Top Speed: 104 mph (164,7 Km/h)

Ccs-Csco-7dias-800.jpg

The San Agustín Hotel, where they stayed the two days they were in Cusco is a nice hotel with excellent service and good facilities. It’s also conveniently located near downtown and the Main Square (Plaza de Armas)

Ccs-Csco-7dias-807.jpg

Sunday morning at Cusco’s Cathedral. As in many other parts of Latin America, Catholic faith is deeply rooted here.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-820.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-834.jpg

Leaving Cusco with the firm intention of returning soon to this spectacular city.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-839.jpg

This is it. The perfect place to eat for those who are hungry. Eating cuy (guinea pig) is very popular in Peru and Ecuador, and to a lesser extent in Colombia. It's really an experience to see guinea pigs served whole on your dish.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-840.jpg

Nasca, their next destination, just 400 miles away.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-843.jpg

There is no straight gasoline available. Only gasohol. At this prices, "fill her up with the cheapest stuff you got, please"

Ccs-Csco-7dias-881.jpg

Spectacular road layout for anyone that enjoys driving.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-882.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-895.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-897.jpg

The old lady we see here from behind was carrying the pepper sacks seen on the foreground all by herself.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-899.jpg

Clearly, the word “chavista” (Chávez follower) has negative connotations everywhere.

We’d like to take the opportunity to comment how, in a mocking tone, people ask about Chávez when they find out you are Venezuelan. Especially in South America, taxi drivers, store attendants, people you meet on the streets, everyone makes some comment like, “Venezuelans? (insert sneer here)… and how is Chávez?

It’s really disgusting that people believe that all Venezuelans are Chavistas.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-935.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-972.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-974.jpg

Again, they had to endure the rain during long distances.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-984.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-989.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-991.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-994.jpg

De aquí en adelante, comenzó el paisaje a tornarse realmente desértico.
From here, the landscape started to turn into a desert.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-995.jpg

Countless adventurers on bikes, rarely seen in Venezuela, were a constant source of admiring comments, and a little envy on the part of our travelers.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1027.jpg

The last stretch of the road to Nasca is really awesome and a thrill to drive.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1035.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1039.jpg

Large trucks that take most of the road for themselves are a constant danger to which we must always remain vigilant during these trips.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1062.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1076.jpg

For more about this day, and many more pictures, feel free to click here, here, here, here and here… no kidding!

gr1910

Observer
wow.. a 70 year old guy traveling in a 71 land cruiser... that is very admirable..!! those rear leaf suspension is not very travel friendly!!!

i love to see a 50 anniversary 71 series been used for what it was built to!

Tucan viajero

Adventurer
Caracas to Cusco in 7 days. Day 10

Lunes 12/12/2.011
Nasca a Lima
Distancia: 456 Km.
Tiempo Total: 7 horas y 23 minutos
Velocidad Promedio: 61,7 Km/h
Velocidad Máxima: 161 Km/h

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1080.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1083.jpg

Solving a little problem with the fridge’s securing straps.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1085.jpg

The night they spent in Nasca, they stayed at the Nasca Lines Hotel, where they could negotiate a great discount off the regular rate. Another excellent hotel with good service and fine food.

Nasca, known as the city of the eternal summer, and capital of the province of the same name, is located about 280 miles south of Lima, at an altitude of 1,700 feet.

Nowadays, it’s a very active city, both by the influx of tourist that come here to see the famous Nasca Lines, as well as the mining, agriculture and commerce activity growth that the region is experiencing.

Something that caught their attention in this city, was the extremely poor conditions of its streets, in marked contrast to the excellent national road that serves it.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1092.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1093.jpg

An observation tower that because of its location by the road on the plains of Nasca, lets you see some of the famous lines.

This tower was the subject of several jokes for its suspicious location and how clearly some of the lines could be seen from it. It seemed that it could be a trap to snatch some money from unwary tourists. They could imagine the tower owners retracing the lines layout during the night with brooms, and even drawing new ones, when necessary.

Our travelers didn’t dare to take any of the planes that offer flights over the pampas, and allow real good sights of the lines. The reason is that in several occasions, they heard strong criticism on radio shows indicating several recent crashes caused by poor aircraft maintenance and pilot irresponsibility.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1105.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1130.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1133.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1138.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1156.jpg

Sometimes we think that the most interesting and fun part of the Nasca lines, are the very diverse and even wild theories that have been concocted around their origins.

The Nasca lines are stripes and figures up to hundreds of meters big, drawn on the dry plains. These drawings were made by removing the thin dark crust formed by the ground’s minerals (among them gypsum and iron) together with the wind and the almost total absence of rain. This crust, when removed, exposes the light colored soil beneath it, and the lines appear clearly against the dark background, which can only be seen as a whole, from a great altitude. They extend over an area of 111,200 acres, and estimates indicate that they were made during three distinct periods that ranged between 500 BC and 500 AD.

Besides the well known figures, there are a large number of straight lines that intersect in all directions, some of which have been linked to astronomical events.

The reason why they haven’t been erased over time, and this is a question asked by many who get to see them, is that the almost total absence of rain makes this place one of the driest in the world. Besides, the soil has a large gypsum content, which helps set the earth and stones from the surface in place when exposed to dew moisture. Finally, there is the wind factor, which even though it drags sand with it, is unable to find a place to deposit it on these obstacle free plains, so it ends up very far away, where it forms the dunes located north. Finally, the combination of the dark surface with the strong sun, creates a layer of hot air which reduces wind speed at low altitude.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1161.jpg

This downhill tight bend, enclosed by both sides as seen in this photo, is located at the end of the very long and level straight that crosses the Nasca Pampa. As the road suddenly drops at the end of the straight, there is no way to see it as one approaches it, which presents an enormous threat to the drivers that are surprised by it. Watch out!

The perfect conditions of the roads in Peru so far, have been a source of amazement. Although this tends to change when entering some towns and cities, the condition of national roads is perfect. No holes, no missing edges, everything is clearly marked. What a contrast with those in Venezuela!

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1178.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1211.jpg

A very striking huge dune in the middle of town.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1238.jpg

These fields are reminiscent of everything we have read and heard about how the Israelis have sown the desert. It’s impressive to see these green patches on either side of the road, in the midst of aridity, and the difference with our country, with all its water and fertile soils, where almost anything can be grown so easily.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1249.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1267.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1278.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1284.jpg

How can this people survive and thrive amid the incredible dryness of the area, is something our friends couldn’t explain or have time to find out.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1321.jpg

Entering the capital city of Lima.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1341.jpg

Lima, a city where it almost never rains, has a climate that is characterized by high ambient humidity and a persistent cloud cover. It’s a strange experience to watch the cloudy and wet atmosphere in desert landscape like this.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1358.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1363.jpg

From an architectural perspective, the Larcomar Shopping Center intelligently takes advantage of the fact that Lima is located on a cliff that overviews the Pacific Ocean. Its nice halls and corridors seem to hang from this cliff, while on its top, almost like a roof, Salazar Park complements it perfectly. For some members of this group of travelers, Larcomar has almost become the mandatory place to meet while in Lima.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1375.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1415.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1417.jpg

Finally, this is where the meeting of many of those who had walked the Inca Trail, some of those who arrived by plane and our travelers took place. From now on, they will not travel on their own.

For more about this day’s trip, and many more pictures, you may click here, here, here, here, here and here… That’s a lot of pictures!

Tucan viajero

Adventurer
Caracas to Cusco in 7 days. Day 11

Tuesday December 13, 2,011
From Lima to Huacho
Distance: 108 miles (173 Km.)
Total Time: 8 hours and 54 minutes
Average Speed: 12 mph (19,4 Km/h)
Top Speed: 73 mph (117,6 Km/h)

643-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

The night they spent in Lima, they stayed at the Hotel San Isidro Inn, which proved to be a very economical and excellent choice, highly recommended for those who stay in this city.

644-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

646-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

647-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

On the morning of this day, while the rest of the group took a city tour by bus, our friends went to a distant area of the city to visit the official Canon Service Center to see if it was possible to fix an autofocus lens that had stopped “autofocusing”. After that issue was solved with the purchase of a new lens, they returned to Larcomar for gifts and souvenirs for the friends back home, as they hadn’t purchased anything for anyone back home so far.

648-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

An interesting baby carrier.

649-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

650-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

652-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

Having lunch at La Mar restaurant. Great food. In the foreground, a tasting of cebiches.

653-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

Clean and pretty Lima.

654-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

Firewood & bicycles for sale.

655-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

656-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

An FJ55 in excellent condition.

Leaving Lima took a really long time due to the heavy traffic conditions. An interesting feature of Lima traffic is that, despite the frequent bold and even aggressive maneuvers by drivers, no one seems to bother or get mad, and there didn’t seem to be any insults, curses or obscene gestures among them.

657-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

Wide Load. An oficial vehicle carrying a large municipality road sign alluding to some road improving plan in a completely inadequate manner. Third world contrasts.

658-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

659-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

660-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

North of Lima, the perfect conditions of Peruvian roads continue to amaze.

661-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

662-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

663-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

664-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

Arriving to Huacho.

665-Ccs-Csco-7dias.jpg

At the hotel, sharing and updating all the GPS data.

A few more pictures of this day can be seen by clicking here.

Tucan viajero

Adventurer
Caracas to Cusco in 7 days. Day 12

Caracas a Cusco en 7 días. Parte 12.1
Wednesday December 14, 2,011
From Huacho to Huaraz
Distance: 178 miles (287 Km.)
Total Time: 9 hourss and 5 minutes
Average Speed: 19.6 mph (31,6 Km/h)
Top Speed: 70.8 mph (113,9 Km/h)

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1480.jpg

The Centenario Hotel in Huacho.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1487.jpg

Once you are here, a visit to Caral becomes mandatory.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1494.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1501.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1504.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1508.jpg

The road to Caral passes by some chicken farms, therefore to enter the area, the vehicles must be fumigated and filling some registration forms is required.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1526.jpg

The visitor center at the Ruins of the Sacred City of Caral.

To take a walking tour of the archaeological excavations being carried out here, you are requested to hire a guide. This is really worth doing, because without him, you wouldn’t get to understand what is being done in this vast site.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1549.jpg

In this arid desert, “native” plants don’t need, and therefore don’t have, roots to survive.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1575.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1629.jpg

The Caral civilization existed in northern Peru before any other in any other place of the Andes or America. Its development was early in comparison with others that inhabited the continent. Its age is similar to those of the oldest centers of civilization of the Old World. When the pyramids of Egypt were being built, or when the cities of Mesopotamia or India where inhabited, the pyramids of Caral were being built and remodeled.
Meetings for economic, social and religious reasons were held in its squares between 3,000 and 2,500 BC.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1632.jpg

The birthday man, who had been here during the Cardinal Extremes Expedition in January 2,008, was surprised by the progress done in the excavations since then.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1635.jpg

Civilization began in six places of the world: Egypt, India, China, Mesopotamia, Central America and Peru. In each of these places, man abandoned the scheme of small family units, to get together and build cities of thousands of people. To know the reason why, archaeologists needed to find a mother city – the first step in building a city.

But finding one isn’t easy. Everywhere, this first stage seemed destroyed or renewed because of later changes, which made them unfit for study. Consequently, scientists began developing theories indicating that civilization had its origins in the development of trade or irrigation. Some thought it may have had its origins in aliens. However, little by little, a common vision started to emerge. The common feature of all civilizations should be war. This theory was based on the idea that only fear could motivate people to abandon their simple way of life for complex societies. The discovery of Caral, opened the doors to a mother city that could prove or disprove this idea. Nothing had been built on it, and everything was in good condition.

Research results in Caral have shown a civilization in which not the slightest hint of war existed. There were no defensive structures, weapons or mutilated bodies. The findings so far, only indicate the existence of a civilization based on commerce and pleasure.

What is the origin of civilization? To learn more about this exciting bit of history, we really recommend watching this video produced by the BBC on this theory and fantastic civilization: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4092265217728346257#. Watching this video will be time well spent.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1643.jpg

The black “flags” that can be seen on the ruins in some of these photographs are actually plastic garbage bags that have been placed there to scare birds as they move with the wind.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1659.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1661.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1674.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1684.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1689.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1696.jpg

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1708.jpg

Stopping for a roadside lunch.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1712.jpg

The roofless bathroom stalls give an idea of how often it rains here.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1727.jpg

After the visit to Caral, the road took them again up to 13,200 ft., before reaching Huaraz.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1748.jpg

This is how a bag of chips look at high altitude. While this bag didn’t burst due to the low pressure, it did happen in another car.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1771.jpg

It was a cold, rainy arrival to Huaraz.

Ccs-Csco-7dias-1779.jpg

Dinner at the Andino Hotel, in Huaraz, Peru.

For more about this day’s trip, and many more pictures, you may click here, here, here, here, here and here

Last edited:

Daktari

those are really nice pics ,i'm trapped in Caracas and the only trip i made was to Punto Fijo ,as most of the people at the office tells me about the safe measures on highways

unfortunatelly i drive a company car here in YV,so, taking the car out of the country might be a problem

my Dad use to know a few people from that club ,like 20 years ago "el guacharaco" and "la garza" are names in my mind (i was 8 during those years)

Tucan viajero

Adventurer
those are really nice pics ,i'm trapped in Caracas and the only trip i made was to Punto Fijo ,as most of the people at the office tells me about the safe measures on highways

unfortunatelly i drive a company car here in YV,so, taking the car out of the country might be a problem

my Dad use to know a few people from that club ,like 20 years ago "el guacharaco" and "la garza" are names in my mind (i was 8 during those years)

Hi!

With Semana Santa just a few days away you have to get out of Caracas. Staying there is the worst thing you can do. There are many places to go without leaving the country.

As for Guacharaco and Garza, those guys seem to be known by everyone on within a 10,000 kilometer radius.

Hope to see your thread about your Semana Santa trip here in a couple of weeks...

Daktari

I'm plannning a few things near ,i've been trekking on the coast side (la sabana,chuspa,todasana) ,in order to avoid traffic i'm leaving CCS on Thursday and back Tuesday

Problem is that i'm alone and not much friends with 4wd vehicles and willing to trek ,unfortunatelly when i left YV i was 7yo and now is a waaay different YV ,XX company brought me here in a 3 year contract ,so i still have 2 to stay and travel

I live in Chile ,but GF and marriage plans are in the UK ,i always make crazy trips near Bolivia (5 times to Uyuni),Argentina,Brazil,Peru,Uruguay and one of the first thing i made when i got mi drivers licence was drive from Puerto Williams to Arica (Chile at a 100%) but the thing about kidnaps ,robberies ,crazy cops,and a few months ago we had a situation at Naiguata when a crowd took an access bridge and left us for 7 hours in a car jam ,when start to get dark we hear gun shots everytime and without the posibility of moving the car my GF was desperate ,we just stay inside ,at least is blinded but you never know if somebody has a russian rocket launcher or something ,thing is after this episode GF leave the country in a week and i drive alone since ,and at least this year cost me about 200 USD in bribes ,last one was for the fog lights "ilegal" according to the traffic PD ,considering these are factory items - i knew about what was looking for - i drive a yota fortuner here

Might have a secret plan to Kavak in Dec.

Dad knows these people like centuries ago those 2 names are the only ones in my head,but it was a larger group,mom was on diplomatic mission in YV during the 80's and Dad took us to the transamazonica 2 times ,lot of dirt roads and mud .Dad was knew as "el Chileno" and in those days he bought an '81 Range Rover .Then we took that Venezuelan Range to France and Germany ,in 95 or 96 i remember Dad meet this guys again in Santiago as they were travel to Patagonia ,but i wasn't in the country during that time ,can't tell more details about this expedition

On my way back to Chile i'm planning to import a HZJ77 or a diesel 76 ,and i'm considering the route of the "la Caracas - Buenos Aires" rally , took one time the fortuner to a car wash called ciclones or something ,and i fell in love of the 70 series ,specially the FJ75 ,i'm a bit tired of Defenders and my Discovery (vehicle i use for trips) has a reduce autonomy compared with diesel engines and 300 tdi's are rare

Keep traveling ,and hope to see you on the roads!

Regards

C.

Last edited:

hks3sgte

César Gómez
Great pictures. A little tech question regarding the 200... did you have any mechanical problems with it? Any breakdowns? Thanks

-César

Tucan viajero

Adventurer
but the thing about kidnaps ,robberies ,crazy cops, and at least this year cost me about 200 USD in bribes

I can relate to all you say, but nevertheless, I'm not willing to stay trapped at home, and you shouldn't either. It's a matter of taking care of yourself, always being aware of your surroundings and, of course, a little luck always helps.

I've just had surgery, so I won't be going anywhere this Easter Holiday, but may have a trip to a nice spot at Los Llanos for the May 1st (labor day) weekend with some of the guys your dad knew long ago. The plan is to celebrate the visit of a good friend from Chile and his family. Once we have the details sorted out I'll PM you the details, if you are interested.

Last edited:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"Problem is that i'm alone and not much friends with 4wd vehicles and willing to trek"

Well once you leave CCS you certainly won't be alone ! semena santa is the travel week every where will be full of people , even the remote beaches will have groups of people in 4x4's

during my time there I found the remote areas to be safer than the cities.......people live simpler lives

and the 4x4 crowds would never leave a starded person without a tow...Polar in hand usually !

Gran sabana - two day sencible drive

The beaches of Sucre if you can make it in a day- 4 hours ish from PLC there will still be beach side parking room in Pui pui

there are many good beaches near valencia on the coast too but I never really went there.

Looks like I'm grounded for next week with a broken ligament in my knee- so my trip to Tuparro NP/ Puerto Ayacucho is on hold

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven