Cargo van advice please

DaveNay

Adventurer
Hi all,

In the coming 6-12 months we will be building a new house. The new house is ~12 hour drive away from current home, so I am planning to make monthly trips during construction. In light of these regular trips, I am thinking of buying a cargo van so that I can transfer packed boxes into local storage.

I have begun looking at used cargo vans, and I am asking for opinions on my options:
  • Sprinter: The "big name" one. I am seeing decent prices, but high mileage. I am also reading that maintenance and repair can be very expensive.
  • Transit: Seems to have good value retention (i.e. higher prices than Sprinter), but also vans for sale have lower mileage - could be an indicator of common problems at high mileage. Maintenance cost and repairs should be lower and easier though since it's a Ford.
  • Pro Master: Low prices and low availability. It's a Dodge ?
My budget is ~$15k. I may or may not have plans to convert it to a camper after the move. ? My current thought would be towards the Transit (not Transit Connect).

Overdrive

Adventurer
I wouldn't think there are enough high-mileage Transits out there to ID any "common problems at high mileage"? I'd definitely go with the Transit--ease of repairs if you need to visit a dealer, and lower repair/parts costs. Personally, I'd avoid the twin turbo model for reliability/cost of repairs standpoint, but everyone seems to "need" the power of the TT. lol.

Chevy's (although they don't come in a high-roof) are a solid, reliable choice too. If I didn't want the high roof this is the way I'd go...built like a truck on a full frame.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
There is a 4th option. Nissan makes a pretty bulletproof van. Body on frame construction. Old school simple. V6 is more common, but a bit underpowered and no better economy than the V8 (get the V8). The only factory body on frame high roof as well.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
$15000 is on the very low end for any van these days. $20k would get you something a bit better.

Second vote here for a Transit. There are millions of them by now, used parts are super cheap and easy to get should you need anything.

Rath

I wouldn't think there are enough high-mileage Transits out there to ID any "common problems at high mileage"? I'd definitely go with the Transit--ease of repairs if you need to visit a dealer, and lower repair/parts costs. Personally, I'd avoid the twin turbo model for reliability/cost of repairs standpoint, but everyone seems to "need" the power of the TT. lol.

Chevy's (although they don't come in a high-roof) are a solid, reliable choice too. If I didn't want the high roof this is the way I'd go...built like a truck on a full frame.

The transit has been around for ages, since 2000 they were even developed (not made or assembled in) the United States. weren't sold in North America till 2013 though. Even still, 7 years in North America is a long time, especially considering a lot of couriers use these vans day in and day out. there are plenty of high mileage transits out there, and they are very good vehicles. Stay on top of maintenance and they will last (much like most vehicles).

WVI

Adventurer
The couple of things that have me holding on to my E350, it can tow more than a transit, and there always seems to be parts in the Pic A Part places should I want something....I've not seen a Transit in one...

86scotty

Cynic
Thanks guys, You have reaffirmed my thoughts that a Transit is probably the best choice.

If your budget is 15k you could get one of the newer Euro style vans you mentioned but it will be very basic and worn out already. Why not shop for an Express or E-series in the $10k neighborhood and put a few grand in the savings instead? You'll get much more van, more durability, same mileage likely, and probably easier to sell should you decide to after your house is complete.

Finding one may be a little harder but sounds like you are doing your homework early so you probably won't have a problem with that.

DaveNay

Adventurer
Mostly because of the available cargo space. The E and Express vehicles have substantially less volume. And since my primary use is for moving household possessions, volume matters to me.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

T town

Here’s something to think about. Is there a Ford or Sprinter capable Mercedes dealer anywhere near that house you are building? Is there one or more on the way there? This is invaluable if you have any van trouble.

DaveNay

Adventurer
Here’s something to think about. Is there a Ford or Sprinter capable Mercedes dealer anywhere near that house you are building? Is there one or more on the way there? This is invaluable if you have any van trouble.
There is a Merc dealer about 15 minutes away. They have Sprinters for sale on their web site (new, not used), so I assume they also service, although I have not called.

I may end up with a Sprinter - I have made contact with a seller who has a '15 Sprinter 2500 170" with 90k miles. Asking price is $11.5k. Hopefully I can go check it out this week since it's only about 90 minutes away.

Last edited:

Trailwerx

There is a 4th option. Nissan makes a pretty bulletproof van. Body on frame construction. Old school simple. V6 is more common, but a bit underpowered and no better economy than the V8 (get the V8). The only factory body on frame high roof as well.
We really like our 2012 NV3500 high roof. We have the 5.6 L/317HP V8. Lots of power and towing capacity.

Scotty D

There is a Merc dealer about 15 minutes away. They have Sprinters for sale on their web site (new, not used), so I assume they also service, although I have not called.

I may end up with a Sprinter - I have made contact with a seller who has a '15 Sprinter 2500 170" with 90k miles. Asking price is $11.5k. Hopefully I can go check it out this week since it's only about 90 minutes away.
Something is very fishy with that price, have you spoken on the phone with this person? Thats scam territory cheap. If its a real deal have it inspected and if the motor is not blown , buy it

DaveNay

Adventurer
Something is very fishy with that price, have you spoken on the phone with this person? Thats scam territory cheap. If its a real deal have it inspected and if the motor is not blown , buy it

Oh yeah, my scam radar is on full power with this one. The CL ad says it is almost 30 days old at this price.

86scotty

Cynic
Mostly because of the available cargo space. The E and Express vehicles have substantially less volume. And since my primary use is for moving household possessions, volume matters to me.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Gotcha, if you are new to these vans be very careful about a Sprinter. Lots of maintenance issues. I'm not just talking, I'm quite familiar with these. Just do your homework on the particular year and drivetrain you get interested in. Also, Promasters do not have a very good reputation as workhorses due to their lousy FWD drivetrain. I'm not very familiar with these but it's pretty common knowledge.

I'm thinking a mid/high roof 2015/2016 Transit is probably your best bet for size, reliability and price but perhaps a bit harder to find at that price point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal