CCV Truck Utility Shells

Terrainist

Explorer
Pretty sure this is the forum to put this in.

Months ago I was scouring the net for truck camper options and came across this company. Have not seen them mentioned anywhere here so thought to clue everyone in.

The company is Canadian Commercial Vehicles (I hope they haven't gone out of business). One of the things they do is make composite camper shells.

I emailed them at the time about a price for the standard shell they advertise. Seem to remember a $4,500 - $5,500 base price depending on windows, doors, etc.

Anyone interested and more computer savy than me can do a search on them and post a photo hopefully? or a link or something.

Definitely something to look at for anyone thinking of building their own truck camper. Light weight, very strong and durable, with an excellent insulating factor.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Terrainist

Explorer
Just checked on them. If one googles "ccv truck utility boxes" your first return will be their brochure on the camper shells. Took me a minute to download on dialup.

Enjoy.

Terrainist

Explorer
Thanks Drew. Their website is a quagmire to try and find their camper shells on, but they are there somewhere. You'd think they would be more keen on making them easy to find because it is a clean looking innovative product they've got.

I haven't seen anyone else producing and selling anything like that -- composite panel truck camper shells that is.

Indiana Drew

Observer
Thanks Drew. Their website is a quagmire to try and find their camper shells on, but they are there somewhere. You'd think they would be more keen on making them easy to find because it is a clean looking innovative product they've got.

I haven't seen anyone else producing and selling anything like that -- composite panel truck camper shells that is.

For years I have been fascinated by the concept of honeycomb panels for all sorts of uses. Using them for a shell or building/replacing panels on a Volvo body or any other sort. They even make them with diamond plate on them for flooring. One could make a really strong light weight shell out of it. Nice find in a company using the panels. I did another look at google results for honeycomb panels, there are other companies willing to fabricate out of the composites ... Depending on shape and complexity, it looks like a possibility for DIY. :coffeedrink:

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
CCV is 10 minutes from my home and the managing director is an old high school friend. As it says on the website, the company makes the sleepers for Western Star trucks among other things. They also make slide-outs and ramps for various RV companies. I have seen a prototype camper shell in their shop (I think this may be the one you are discussing?). However IIRC this was a prototype they built for a client, I was not aware that they were selling the shells to the public. I think they may also have made an off-road ambulance shell (like a small truck camper) for another client. They produce a variety of different honeycomb composite panels, and can also inject foam insulation into the honeycomb voids for additional R value. If I were to build a custom camper from scratch I would seriously consider using their panels.
Cheers
Mark
ps: they are currently building a plant in Mexico to produce the sleeper cabs, but intend to keep the BC plant going as well.

Attachments

• MedicalTreatmentCamperSystem.jpg
    MedicalTreatmentCamperSystem.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 407

Terrainist

Explorer
How do Kamper,

Yes, that is a photo of the unit I was talking about. Thank you for posting that. I went and found the email I was sent from them, one of their sales 'application experts', won't post his name....the email is from Jan. 27, 2009, in which he stated that he had a few units in stock and they range from $4,000 - $5,500.

Judging by the pdf brochure they have going for the shells it sounds like they are selling them to the general public. The brochure can be found by doing what's in my second post here.

I hope they are selling them to the general public. Would be nice to go out and buy something like that rather than figure out how to make it.

Thanks for posting that link to the Turtle V truck Drew, one of the sweetest trucks out there. That truck is a good example of why I drool over composites.

Last edited:

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Yes, that is a photo of the unit I was talking about. Thank you for posting that. I went and found the email I was sent from them, one of their sales 'application experts', won't post his name....the email is from Jan. 27, 2009, in which he stated that he had a few units in stock and they range from $4,000 - $5,500.

Judging by the pdf brochure they have going for the shells it sounds like they are selling them to the general public. The brochure can be found by doing what's in my second post here.

I hope they are selling them to the general public. Would be nice to go out and buy something like that rather than figure out how to make it.

I did not mean to contradict you, I was just not aware that they were selling them. IF I can be of any help with getting more info, pics, dimensions, etc just let me know. It would be a good excuse to go and visit them again.

Cheers
Mark

Terrainist

Explorer
Thank you for the offer, that's very generous.

Currently I am in the planning stages....you know how that goes. I don't know what I will end up with or when.

They sure have some slick composite camper shells though, or did, whatever. Someone interested can send them an email and find out what is going on with them easy enough.

Terrainist

Explorer
Holy smokes, they make some nice shells! Thank you for posting that link. Had never seen or heard of them before.

Just spent a half hour looking at what they got. As far as fiberglass shells go they look to be about the best. They seem to have more shell options than any other company doing fiberglass that I have found.

Can't go wrong with that. Very nice.

allochris

Adventurer
ya, those are robust shell. we really pound those shells for a durability test all season long lugging millions of seedlings all over the logging roads.

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

well, i guess i have to figure out how to show an image from facebook...

Terrainist

Explorer
They make a 'taller' one that a person can stand up in. Check the website, it's all there. They do van conversion roofs, insulated shells....quite a selection.

Their 'taller' shells are the one's I was eyeballing as well. Very nice, great potential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3