******** Cepek Fun Country II

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Welcome. A five year lurk, you don't want to rush into anything... :)

24HOURSOFNEVADA has 285s on his 100 and loves them as he posted above.

I've been enjoying reading all the posts on these tires... these could be the ones for the 100 series. I was all set on Nitto Trail Grapplers but they are telling me now they won't be making the 285 75 r16 size so phooey.. back to the drawing board.

also figured I may as well sign up at the Portal here, been thinking about it for about 5 years and just never got around to it. Hey everybody :)

nakman

Welcome. A five year lurk, you don't want to rush into anything... :)

24HOURSOFNEVADA has 285s on his 100 and loves them as he posted above.

Yeah I've read his mud posts.. one of the things that swayed me this direction, both tires and forum. I'm not exactly a new guy, just new here I guess.. :coffee:

CB3

I Do know that they are made by Cooper. Cooper owns Mickey Thompson & ******** Cepek.

I think they may be made on the S/T carcass but I don't know that for sure.

I've always heard the Cooper ST and Cepek FC2 have same carcass.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Hey there, I also have been running the FC2 for a couple of years nnow on my F250 315/75 r 16. These have been great for me both offroad and towing with my 5th wheel. I havent had any balancing issues, chunking, or anything. I highly recommend them! Nice write up!

Snafu

Adventurer
Hey there, I also have been running the FC2 for a couple of years nnow on my F250 315/75 r 16. These have been great for me both offroad and towing with my 5th wheel. I havent had any balancing issues, chunking, or anything. I highly recommend them! Nice write up!

I've got some chunking with mine...but I'd say it's due to all the rocks I'm constantly on. You'd think the desert would be soft sand.....but out here it's like a gravel driveway with sand dumped on it!!

bigandtall

Decided to read some more on the 285/75R16 size of the DC FCII. I'm looking at two dramatically different width tires of both approximately 33" in diameter. It has occured to me that my factory rims are 16x7 and these 285/75R16, while able to fit on my rig, are not necesarily a good fit for my rims. I have had conflicting advise from other forums.

Any advise on running this wide tire on my 16x7 rims? I want to keep my rims as I really like the look.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Everything I have read says that the minimum approved wheel width for a LT285/75R16 is 7.5". Surely you can mount a 285/75 on a 7" wheel, but some shops will not and others don't care.

I have FJC TRD wheels on my 4Runner and I like them for many reasons, one being that they are 7.5" wide and handle a 285/75 well.

In the past I a ran 285/75 tire on my Ford F350 with 7" wheels for a short time. They seemed to drive okay on the road, but I didn't care for the pinched in the middle look, which was worse after airing down. I have never run a 285/75 FCII on a 7” wheel on my Toyota.

You probably don’t want to consider a smaller size but a 265/75R16 fits a 7” wheel very well and the Cepek FCII comes in this size. Of course you will lose 0.5” of overall tire lift (radius) with a 265/75 compared to a 285/75, and about 0.75” compared to a 255/85. It’s not as bad as it sounds, they will drive great on the road and I used a set on some pretty technical trails last year. But you may already be running this size so it’s not an upsize if that’s what you are looking for. And while I’m advocating the excellent 265/75 size, it was not for me on my current car, which has 4.88:1 gears and sees more than its share of technical driving.

They are not for everyone, but for a while now I have really been enjoying the ******** Cepek F-C II treads.

p nut

butter
Hi, any updates on the tread wear (24HOURSOFNEVADA?). Currently on BFG KO's on my 100 that's been on there for 70k+ miles. Never had issues with snow traction, but from other reviews, it seems people prefer these over the BFG's. I was also contemplating ST Maxx, but I think the consensus is that these do better in the winter due to better siping. My mind is pretty much set on these tires in 285/75/16. I've found them for $233 @ Discount Tire. I may wait to see if there will be any rebates in the next month or two before pulling the trigger.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Paging Mr. Redline....

So what are your thoughts on the new footprint and sidewall of the next generation of FCs...

dc_fun_country_ci2_l.jpg

I think that the traction in mud and clay will improve while still performing well in the snow. As I'm not totally happy with the Cooper ST Maxxs I'm running I think I'll give these a spin as my next set of tires.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Paging Mr. Redline....

So what are your thoughts on the new footprint and sidewall of the next generation of FCs...

I think that the traction in mud and clay will improve while still performing well in the snow. As I'm not totally happy with the Cooper ST Maxxs I'm running I think I'll give these a spin as my next set of tires.

Based purely on the appearance of the center tread blocks, I don't think it's as attractive a tire as the F-C II. Also, the historical link back to the Armstrong Norseman is beginning to fade. Yet that is only my superficial opinion.

I like the new sidewall design better, it is both better looking and appears more functional and robust. If you look at one closely, there are actual sipes in some of the sidewall tread lugs; IMPRESSIVE! While all sidewalls can be punctured relatively easily, even 3-ply sidewalls (I did a Toyo last year), all sizes of the new design have 3-ply sidewalls, another improvement.

The center tread ribs should be more functional in wet/sloppy terrain because of the increased void... and the individual tread blocks still have many seagull-shaped sipes cut into the tread. Based on this, I think the winter/snow traction should be about the same = excellent as you know.

I'm not sure when/if I'll get around to testing the new Fun Country tread design but I'd like to ASAP.

The only 'question' in my mind is tread life. Along with all the other positive traits of the previous F-C II, I've found tread wear to be fantastic on two 4WD Toyotas and one heavy, old F350 diesel. If the new Fun Country design offers the same impressive longevity, ******** Cepek can't help but have another winner on their hands. The old F-C II was a very underrated tire, maybe the new design will grab more attention and some truck owners won’t buy the same old thing when there are arguably better, more versatile options available.

Related, I've long wanted to try the Mickey Thompson ATZ 4-rib, which was also updated to the new ATZ P3. This tire looks to be a winner as well, I really like a good 4-rib design and it's similar in void to the ******** Cepek Mud Country I've been running and really like on my 4Runner.

So many tires, so little time...

zidaro

Explorer
Alright, lets take this a step further Redline.
I am in the market for a new tire under my Tundra. I have been running Erated GY Duratracs and, as great as they are on snow packed roads, they have worn themselves out to unreliable at 22K.
I am going to buy either the ******** Cepek FC or the MT ATZ P3 and am so glad this dilemma has already been addressed.
Which tire, in a 305/70R18, do you think will have the best behavior on snowy roads of E. Sierras? Highways? and Desert Dirt trails of Saline/Death/Desert valleys? Im guessing the DC will win in the snow due to the siping, but i really am favoring the MT.
Think the MT ATZ P3 will have good winter behavior?
I want a STURDY tire for getting out there.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Alright, lets take this a step further Redline.
I am in the market for a new tire under my Tundra. I have been running Erated GY Duratracs and, as great as they are on snow packed roads, they have worn themselves out to unreliable at 22K.

That seems to be a fairly common complaint. While some love and get both good wear and traction from the Duratrac, I've heard many reports of very fast tread wear, particularly on heavier rigs.

I am going to buy either the ******** Cepek FC or the MT ATZ P3 and am so glad this dilemma has already been addressed.
Which tire, in a 305/70R18, do you think will have the best behavior on snowy roads of E. Sierras? Highways? and Desert Dirt trails of Saline/Death/Desert valleys? Im guessing the DC will win in the snow due to the siping, but i really am favoring the MT.
Think the MT ATZ P3 will have good winter behavior?
I want a STURDY tire for getting out there.

To repeat, I've yet to run either of these treads, but surely will someday...

The appearance of the ATZ P3 is very appealing to me as well, a bit more void than the new Fun Country but less than the spiritually similar and not too aggressive DC Mud Country.

Both appear/should be very sturdy tires, I don’t think that’s a concern with either. I do think the P3 will have good winter behavior/traction, though also think the Fun Country will be better if you did a back-to-back test. In most snow/ice conditions it hard to deny or replicate the function of more sipes, and the shape of the Fun Country sipes are best.

My ******** Cepek Mud Countrys seem to provide plenty of winter traction with more normal mud tire siping, of course they still have tons of tread and are on a full-time 4WD 4Runner.

Tough choice, but it's always nice to get what you like, but it would also be great to see what kind of wear you get from a set of new Fun Country tires.

zidaro

Explorer
Tough choice, but it's always nice to get what you like, but it would also be great to see what kind of wear you get from a set of new Fun Country tires.

Thanks for your Honest opinion. I KNOW what you would like me to get, you have a fetish for the Fun Country :)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Thanks for your Honest opinion. I KNOW what you would like me to get, you have a fetish for the Fun Country :)

You're correct, however the new tread design doesn't appeal as much to my eye as the F-C II, and I may switch to the P3 for my next set. We shall see :)!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Toyo AT II extreme is another revamped option. I put them on the JKUR, and love them so far. Snow is coming soon, so that will be the next test phase.

I'll echo Redlines thoughts on the new FC and the new ATZ. I must be getting old and nostalgic, but I'll miss knowing the old tread pattern is around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman