Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

spressomon

Expedition Leader
did anybody try the $25 coupon code I posted?
HERE

The whispering campaign has started at casa rusty, I'm pretty sure portable fridges will be an "occasional" topic of conversation on our next three or four day trip.

Just pull out a couple water soaked sandwiches...and then run out of ice and have to eat warm dairy products...that should tip the scales :wings:

Eventhough

Explorer
My fridge is here. My tracking # wasn't working and I had been out of town all for about 4 days... (not looking good) but my neighbor came over and said he had a big package for me that he picked up off my front porch b/c it was raining... SCORE!!!

The packing on the fridge was bombproof. She cooled from 53 degrees to 34 degrees in no time.

Here is a question for y'all. Is there a way to keep both frozen and refrigerated products in the unit at the same time? IE If you set the temp to '32' will it work to put frozen products in the bottom of the unit and refrigerated products in the top???

HB 4X4

Adventurer
My fridge is here. My tracking # wasn't working and I had been out of town all for about 4 days... (not looking good) but my neighbor came over and said he had a big package for me that he picked up off my front porch b/c it was raining... SCORE!!!

The packing on the fridge was bombproof. She cooled from 53 degrees to 34 degrees in no time.

Here is a question for y'all. Is there a way to keep both frozen and refrigerated products in the unit at the same time? IE If you set the temp to '32' will it work to put frozen products in the bottom of the unit and refrigerated products in the top???

Not likely since freezer temps are generally 0 degrees or below. 32 degrees might just start to create ice crystals in your beverages, but will not keep things frozen well.

Smksignals

Explorer

Good question. I have wondered the same. One time I had it set for 38 or 37, and all the beverages were perfect on the bottom. My salsa was in the upper rack, on the bottom, and had ice forming in it. Maybe a good question for Edgestar or Compact Appliance.

Photog

Explorer
Cold does fall to the bottom, so there should be a temperature gradient. So the bottom could be set to freeze, and the top to be above freezing. But it is a narrrow temperature range (2 degrees top to bottom), and I don't know if this equipment can keep the temp that steady. I think it will probably fluctuate more than that.

Different products freeze at different temps, as their ingredients change the freezing point of the water within. More/less salt, sugar, alcohol, etc., act like antifreeze. :)

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
my dad just got one of these. He's stoked! Thanks for all the info on discounts...He appreciates it.

It'll make his FJ80 that much more drool-worthy. :)

tommudd

Explorer
Got mine today, threw some bottles of water in it and was surprised at how fast it cooled from 55 to 32. Can't wait to try it out!

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Did I just quote myself?

Silver dude- IMO, your mount idea should work fine. I'm sitting in the garage right now building my mount and using a similar idea. I removed one of the metal channels (the easier of the two to remove). I'm drilling two holes in that channel to mount bolts through it and the plywood base of the slide. On the other channel, I'm using a design similar to the one on the bottom right of your post. All 4 rubber feet will remain in their stock location. I'll post pics when I'm done.
Don't mean to muck up this thread too much but here are some pics of the finished mount. Hopefully it'll help others...

I originally used 5/16" bolts:
818132945_CGvL8-M.jpg

Swapped to 1/4" (much better):
818133875_7QYui-M.jpg

818134732_qmsKE-M.jpg

The platform sits on heavy duty drawer slides:
818135456_rDPLb-M.jpg

And doubles as a table when extended:
814138709_MK79W-M.jpg

So far, the fridge doesn't move at all over bumps and washboards. We're also very happy with the performance of the EdgeStar and haven't had any problems, yet, running it off of our single aux battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333