Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

doc holiday

Adventurer
I finally got my fridge! I am by no means an expert on these since this is the first one i have ever owned so take my .02 with a grain of salt. Package was very well boxed i have no clue how one of these could get damaged during shipping. Un boxed it and carried it out put it in my truck and fired it up! started at 58 degrees and in a half hour it was a balmy 36 degrees in there! Has worked flawless since. It has been plugged in since with not even a bit of struggle on the battery on starting my truck. Id buy one again no problem. On a side not does anyone know of a slider setup that will work with one of these as well as a cover?

Bennyhana

Adventurer
I think the newer ARB fridge slide looks generic enough it might work. It looks like it has enough material to drill holes to mount anything on it. As far as covers I thought I saw some on Ebay awhile ago.

XterraVT

Observer
Just ordered my fridge.

Say good by to soggy sandwiches. Can't wait for my GONE Moab trip in May to fully test it out.

Thanks again for all the info on this fridge guys.

mikelite80

Adventurer
Mine isn't that loose. I think they are set to be just loose enough to allow the seal to break and release any pressure that may have been built up while changing altitude. Just like if you slam the door to your house fridge and the freezer will pop open for a second. Sure I could be crazy, but it sounds like a good reason in my head ;)

Mike

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
Mine isn't that loose. I think they are set to be just loose enough to allow the seal to break and release any pressure that may have been built up while changing altitude. Just like if you slam the door to your house fridge and the freezer will pop open for a second. Sure I could be crazy, but it sounds like a good reason in my head ;)

Mike
It is poor QC and probably a lack of fixturing for the catch and latch.

As I have previously stated, the first fridge I recieved could be opened with the latch in the closed position. and by opened I mean that I can move the latch off the catch without using the lever, then open the lid completely and access the interior of the fridge. This fridge was exchanged with Compact Appliance.

The next one I recieved latches tightly. The gasket seal is pressed firmly against the chassis of the unit. This lid on this fridge will not rattle on washboardy roads. The first one would have opened itself and spilled the contents around the back of the truck.

Aspen d'Grey

Does anyone have a picture of the 86qt in the back of an XJ 2door? (I dont know how different the size between a 2dr and 4dr are- I've only had the jeep a few days!) I'm thinking about removing the rear seats and putting it there, any thoughts on that?

Alternatively, can someone measure XYZ on the fridges? Then I'll just chuck it in Sketchup and see how it fits in a scale XJ model.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
Does anyone have a picture of the 86qt in the back of an XJ 2door? (I dont know how different the size between a 2dr and 4dr are- I've only had the jeep a few days!) I'm thinking about removing the rear seats and putting it there, any thoughts on that?

Alternatively, can someone measure XYZ on the fridges? Then I'll just chuck it in Sketchup and see how it fits in a scale XJ model.
Inside Dimensions: Height: 14.96", Width: 15.75", Depth: 20.70"
Outside Dimensions: Height: 20.9", Width: 28.7", Depth: 23.63 "

honestly, grab some cardboard and mock up the fridge and place it in the back of your jeep.

XterraVT

Observer
Well I guess Thursday is the New Friday cuz the EdgeStar Fridge showed up today.

Do I build a slide for the fridge to come out of the door.
The fridge would still need to come up a little to clear the wheel well. Down side is that I would have a tough time getting into the fridge if it's in the X ( not slid out ).
EdgeStar0002.jpg

Or

Do I build a small platform and bolt it in one place ( quick release ) and just get into it when needed.
EdgeStar0001.jpg

Thanks again for all the info on the EdgeStar. I'll let you all know what we come up with for the mounting.

Aspen d'Grey

HTML:
Dang, that is so practical. I never would have thought of that. :bike_rider:

Ha! Yes yes, mock me :p

Thats one of those things that I would have gone out and looked at the jeep after spending all the time on the computer, seen a cardboard box, and gone,.... "Oh..."

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
When you do template the fridge, note the placement of the hinges, that can have a serious impact on where you can put it if you can't open the top ;)

DrMoab

Explorer
So I sold my old car hauler trailer today and went to buy one of these. The price has jumped again. I heard that someone here had a name of a salesman at Compact appliances. Does anyone remember who that was? I can't find it in this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues