Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...Err... did I miss or forget something? Where has a power consumption comparison been done?

Again, my comments were not comparing two distinct products, just highlighting the many differences that exist between the units and how a simple comparison based on price and origin simply doesn't work.

As for the actual power consumption of the Edgestar, great question. It would be nice if Overland Journal would test the fridge with the exact test used on the previous models.

Lavabo

great links thanks to Sierra Expedition! im looking to buy it

Anyone has a code for Sierra Expedition? (like FATHER since its father's day ..)

Also there is free shipping for the Edgestar. I still can ship it to Freeport Fowarding in Champlain (near the border) and go get it myself!

If Sierra Expedition can do the same (free shipping in USA) ill take it. Its father day, lets do it free shipping :)

Last edited:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Help asap!!!!

So I received my Edgestar fridge last week and it worked great on 110. I leave it a day running... then start to fit it in the truck. No worky on 12v, I try several trucks and outlets, nope, the screen blinks.

Several customer service calls, and a new one is shipped to me (not an open box)

Today I get it and plug it in (the house), it starts up and cools down, but I leave for work. I get home and it is not cold. When I unplug and plug it back, the fan starts and shuts off right away. This happens on both 110 and 12v.

Customer service is closed and I leave for my vacation in two days... There isn't even time to ship me a new one....

Any thoughts?

08whitex

Adventurer
This just happened to me too. I put the fridge in the truck last weekend and I wouldn't get below 55 degrees. I got home and plugged it in to the wall and it dropped right down. I have to look at it next week. I have had the fridge for over a year and this happened out of no where.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I just camped with Nate and his fridge had issues with the connections on the back side of the 12 volt connector inside the fridge. I am not sure what specifically, but he had the panel below the display off so he could fiddle with the wires.

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
I can't speak on the wiring on the fridge, but I have found that most 12volt outlets in vehicles are woefully lacking. The wiring is way to small to support the power needs of a portable fridge.

I can imagine the Chinese fridges are not as efficient and may need to drawer more power than the stock 12 volt outlet can supply. An example can be with a one inch garden hose compared to a half inch garden hose. Both use the same supply, but the one inch hose will give you a much greater volume of water, hence a more robust power supply.

In my wagon I have run a number 10 wire from the battery to a junction box not far from my 12 volt outlet, from the junction, I dropped the wire to a number 12 for ease of installation and rewired the outlet that the fridge plugs into. You might also consider upgrading the outlet to a high quality marine grade receptacle. You will be surprised at the improved performance of any heavy draw appliance using that power supply.

Last edited:

shogun

Adventurer
So I received my Edgestar fridge last week and it worked great on 110. I leave it a day running... then start to fit it in the truck. No worky on 12v, I try several trucks and outlets, nope, the screen blinks.

Several customer service calls, and a new one is shipped to me (not an open box)

Today I get it and plug it in (the house), it starts up and cools down, but I leave for work. I get home and it is not cold. When I unplug and plug it back, the fan starts and shuts off right away. This happens on both 110 and 12v.

Customer service is closed and I leave for my vacation in two days... There isn't even time to ship me a new one....

Any thoughts?

Uh, get a quality, name-brand unit? Stop shopping at harbor freight? Abstain from alcohol? Start going to church?

Viggen

Just here...

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Are these any good? Im thinking about picking one up as the price is just too good to ignore.

To answer your first question, it depends on who you ask - go read this whole thread and decide for yourself.
The price is excellent, and Sierra Expeditions is well known for their high level of customer service. Chances are you end up with a good product with excellent backing from a well-known company.

I second this motion.

I used to have some minor power trouble with my EdgeStar while on 12v, usually resulting in constant cycling and the inability to freeze. I thought I had a dud, too. At the time I was using the factory cig plug. About 8 mos ago, I rewired everything, giving the fridge it's own 10g wire straight to the aux fuse block (which is connected via 2g to the aux battery).

Since then, I haven't had a hiccup. The thing is great and runs 100% of the time in my truck. It's been on almost 100% of the time for a year straight. As I type this, it's 108* out there... But here in about three hours, I'ma walk straight outta of the office and wrap my hand around a 38* PBR. (I know, I know, but I'm poor.)

I can’t speak on the wiring on the fridge, but I have found that most 12volt outlets in vehicles are woefully lacking. The wiring is way to small too support the power needs of a portable fridge.

I can imagine the Chinese fridges are not as efficient and may need to drawer more power than the stock 12 volt outlet can supply. An example can be with a one inch garden hose compared to a half inch garden hose. Both use the same supply, but the one inch hose will give you a much greater volume of water, hence a more robust power supply.

In my wagon I have run a number 10 wire from the battery to a junction box not far from my 12 volt outlet, from the junction, I dropped the wire to a number 12 for ease of installation and rewired the outlet that the fridge plugs into. You might also consider upgrading the outlet to a high quality marine grade receptacle. You will be surprised at the improved performance of any heavy draw appliance using that power supply.

Errant

Explorer
I'ma walk straight outta of the office and wrap my hand around a 38* PBR. (I know, I know, but I'm poor.)

In case you didn't know it, PBR is trendy again. Throw on a v-neck T and clip your keys to a belt loop, and you'll be called a hipster ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater