Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Just a very specific counter to your point here: http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=264

...are not selling quite as inexpensively as Compact Appliance, but they do not have the buying nor distribution power of CA either... Sierra Expeditions caters to a much smaller market - us.

Ummm, your proving my point. Higher prices are higher prices, I made no assumption how much higher just that they most often will be higher from the little guy. No need to explain why to me, I'm a little guy buyer too ;).

Is there exceptions to the rule, sure. When smaller companies with a "vested interest (like Sierra)" start selling the same product as a 'Big Box' (like C.A., the price will be likely be higher in the grand scheme. This is all completely besides the point because I my pricing reference was if/when Edgestar and its re-brands start having the level of service, R&D, market influence and dealer network to that of the units you are comparing against. Maybe they do, I don't have that answer but I have not seen it. These fridges are still unheard of in other markets (ie Aussie) so I can't seem to think they are operating at nearly the same level yet. Time will tell and its far to early to call them a success story worthy of mention along names like Engel and Weaco just yet in my opinion.

Edit: Looks like Wil is reading this thread ;) Check those prices again and Sierra has them beat across the board. There is that exception to the rule.

cruiseroutfit

J...EDIT: I never really intended to start an argument regarding this issue. I'm just interested in exploring other less expensive options, and my focus has been on the fridge/freezer item because I would personally like to get one in the coming year or so. The goal to my posts in this thread is simply to continue to explore the options out there, look at the merits and faults of the less expensive models as well as the higher priced name brand units...

Are we arguing? This whole time I've been thinking we've been having a great conversation. Sorry if you felt is was arguing, its not on my end. :sombrero:

What it comes down to FOR ME (and possibly others) is my expectation of paying $1000+ for a piece of equipment when I could look at spending half that on a less expensive model is that the high-dollar one BETTER operate flawlessly or else I would experience severe regret on a purchase where I had wasted a decent amount of my hard-earned money. I've linked to threads where people have had issues with their high-end fridges, I feel this information is valuable to those considering a purchase on this type of item such as myself.

Nothing is flawless and if you feel you can't spend money on anything with less than a 100% success rate. Keep it in the bank. To date I've heard of 2 ARB fridge issues neither of which have been officially diagnosed. Yet you can ready this fridge and find a handful of confirmed issues. So am I to beleive your OK spending 2/3 the money (the most popular Engels and ARB are not $1000+) on something that is well known NOT to operated flawlessly? I don't get that logic.

...If you happen to feel that my posts on this subject are not worth reading (HB 4x4?) you can simply skip past them and go on about your day.

Why the defense? If I felt your posts were not reading I wouldn't waste my time replying. Again sorry if you feel like this is arguing... I though it was a constructive conversation on fridges and assumed some of my points my actually be of interest to you.

I think that's all I will say on the matter. I intend to continue researching these fridges and posting any and all quality issues I find.

Please do :lurk:

cruiseroutfit

The title of this thread and the current pricing on these fridges also proves the "higher price" theory.

They have had pretty significant price increases since first introduced to the market. Engel recently had a pretty significant one themselves relating to the USD-AUD exchange. It will be interesting to see where Edgestars land price wise in another couple years. Might be getting pretty close to par with some of the other offerings? We shall see.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Why the defense? If I felt your posts were not reading I wouldn't waste my time replying. Again sorry if you feel like this is arguing... I though it was a constructive conversation on fridges and assumed some of my points my actually be of interest to you.

Kurt, I'm supposed to be writing my term paper that's due tomorrow and every time I look at this thread I feel I have a point to make and want to respond. lololol
I put my edit in there because I didn't want my posts to be interpreted as being defensive, although I guess I was confused by HB's post and the lack of content left me wondering what he was trying to infer.

And your points are of interest to me, I can't stress enough the importance of yourself and the other vendors being right in the thick of it and talking things over with us, and adding your experience and insight helping with any problems we might have.

Ok seriously, I'm banning myself from the internet until tomorrow when I've finished and handed in my paper! lol

cruiseroutfit

...Ok seriously, I'm banning myself from the internet until tomorrow when I've finished and handed in my paper! lol

Go do your school work, this conversation can wait :victory:

I will say this. There could be a pretty decent business opportunity for a company to 'fill the gap' so to speak on the Edgestar accessories. Tie down kits (saw some neat ones made here on ExPo), slide's, feet lock kits, covers, etc. People often buy an item not just on its own offerings but on the accessories they can get for it later. Competition is healthy.

roadkill

Adventurer
Go do your school work, this conversation can wait :victory:

I will say this. There could be a pretty decent business opportunity for a company to 'fill the gap' so to speak on the Edgestar accessories. Tie down kits (saw some neat ones made here on ExPo), slide's, feet lock kits, covers, etc. People often buy an item not just on its own offerings but on the accessories they can get for it later. Competition is healthy.

I wish I could find a slide that worked width wise and not length wise with my Edgestar. so far everything I have found works length wise and would have to be adapted to the Edgestar. I would think someone who came out with a bolt on slide system could sell quit a few on Expo just based on the numbers here running this fridge. till then I need to do some more research and figure out how to make my own.

Xterabl

Adventurer
Great, got the fridge today. Seems solidly built...latch, hinges & handles are perfect.
Few scratches...no biggie to me since it's a $349 open box deal.
Verified good performance, plugged in at the house; next, i'll put it in the truck and check battery voltage drop daily for a few days.

Now here's a little ambiguity I spotted, from numbers on the back label: At 12v, current rating is 4.5A, which is 54W. At 115VAC, current rating is 0.75A, which is 86.25W. Then, it says max input: 65W. Now, I guess 65W should be ~5.4A at 12VDC and only 0.57A at 115VAC, both of which are discordant with the specified current draws. Any ideas?

So, here's why it's relevant: I have a pure sinewave inverter which senses battery voltage, and shuts off at 10.5V. So, if I use the inverter to power the fridge, I will have battery protection via the inverter. Only problem, I see, is the inverter has a "no load draw < 1.43ADC", which probably means that even if the compressor isn't running, the inverter, just by being powered on, is sucking up to 1.43A...not good, I guess (but there is also a "stand-by" current draw of only a mere 0.25A; and I'm not really sure how "stand-by" differs from "no load).

Still, I might do the experiment: run the fridge for 24 hrs through the inverter; and also direct from the battery, and check the voltage drop. I'll report back if I do this test.

Last edited:
I wish I could find a slide that worked width wise and not length wise with my Edgestar. so far everything I have found works length wise and would have to be adapted to the Edgestar. I would think someone who came out with a bolt on slide system could sell quit a few on Expo just based on the numbers here running this fridge. till then I need to do some more research and figure out how to make my own.

Recommend building your own. I did for only about 50 bucks, and I couldn't been happier.

Just picked up a 24" heavy-duty (150lbs) file drawer slide. Made the mount out of wood. Problem solved.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=552349&postcount=170

Where did you find your slides at?

I chose Accurides from here: http://www.drawerslides.com/m/accuride

Just pick the one that suits your needs. I went with a 24" for my fridge and a 36" for my deep storage drawer next to it, both in a heavy-duty, I think in a 150lb-ish or more capacity. (Sorry, but I forget the exact model number I chose.) I remember paying something like 40 bucks for both, shipped.

Hope this helps!

**EDIT** Now that I think about it, maybe mine were only the 100lb capacity.... sheez, I can't remember?!? I'm getting old, ya know.

Last edited:

Lavabo

Where can i find one in Canada??

Im about to leave for a month trip and im interested in a better solution than ice and cooler.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Now here's a little ambiguity I spotted, from numbers on the back label: At 12v, current rating is 4.5A, which is 54W. At 115VAC, current rating is 0.75A, which is 86.25W. Then, it says max input: 65W. Now, I guess 65W should be ~5.4A at 12VDC and only 0.57A at 115VAC, both of which are discordant with the specified current draws. Any ideas?

I'm guessing there is a DC rectifier built into the unit to supply 12V to the compressor motor, and the rectifier is not 100% efficient, which is why the AC power draw is higher. I think that using a DC/AC inverter, then plugging it into the AC connector which has a DC rectifier would be... silly. :)

power consumption (Martyn said it best "It's like having a generic brand car that uses a Mercedes motor, but only get 9 MPG"),

Err... did I miss or forget something? Where has a power consumption comparison been done?

Last edited:

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Where can i find one in Canada??

Im about to leave for a month trip and im interested in a better solution than ice and cooler.

Compact appliances won't ship to Canada... grrr...
But, an even better option is to buy one of the Whynter models from Sierra Expeditions. They are both a vendor and supporter on this forum.
The Whynters are the same as the Edgestars, just rebadged.
Here is a direct link:

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=264

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
And IIRC, Sierra Expeditions worked with me to ship my snorkel via USPS instead of UPS to avoid the brokerage fee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater