Clancy '97 D1 Build

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
get rid of the rotor-flex and get a U-joint rear driveshaft. Much less chance of it failing. There a about 10 D1's in the junkyard in Ogden UT with the correct rear driveshaft. I got one for my D2 out of there for $30. I have several 24 spline u-joint diff's if you need one too. I'm in Layton UT.

Trail-Tailor

Observer
get rid of the rotor-flex and get a U-joint rear driveshaft. Much less chance of it failing. There a about 10 D1's in the junkyard in Ogden UT with the correct rear driveshaft. I got one for my D2 out of there for $30. I have several 24 spline u-joint diff's if you need one too. I'm in Layton UT.

Thanks, but for my plans with this rig, the OE designed flex coupler will be just fine.

J

mick968

Observer
Roto

Something to be said for the OE rotoflex vibration dampening design if you go with lift (2" or whatever) I would carry a couple of spare (Roto's) doesn't take much angle to have one blow my rig used to be that color good luck with your build

Trail-Tailor

Observer
Will finish up the lift this weekend and then onto the EXPO RTT rack and rear bumper.

My ComeUp winch order arrived. Can't wait to finalize the bumper and get one of these installed.

J

P1110071.jpgP1110067.jpg

Trail-Tailor

Observer
TerraFirma HD lift is on all corners now and new MOOG U-Joints installed on front shaft.

Been slammed with X-mas orders so R&D on rear bumper has been playing 3rd fiddle.....

P1110103.jpgP1110106.jpgP1110108.jpg

J

Trail-Tailor

Observer
Lift is on, need to bleed the brakes. Pulled a ton of air into the lines when I changed a caliper.

Next week I will finalize the front bumper, build a couple of roof racks and start on the rear bumper.

Sliders will be build in the near future as well.

J

Before

P1030530.JPG

After

P1110158.jpg

adelatoa

Adventurer
Are you producing these racks? i like the simplicity of it but I'm wondering if you can match the profiles of the Windows above.

Cool build subscribing.

Trail-Tailor

Observer
I got most of my LO-PRO rack tacked out today.. Get it finished tomorrow and onto the EXPO/RTT version.

Jason

P1110207.JPGP1110191.JPGP1110204.JPGP1110200.JPGP1110193.JPG

Last edited:

Trail-Tailor

Observer
Started on the rear base today. Frame/recovery mounts are complete, center section is roughed in. I will be cutting this UP a tad more. I have the ends and 1/4 panel guards pictured in my head, just need some time next week.

The quarter panel guards will be connected to the frame, NOT THE FENDER WELL!! Just want to make it where it will be the most rigid and easiest for the end user to make the proper connection.

Rear bumper will be available in 3 models.

Base-- no frills, just METAL
Base w/ quarter guards
Loaded-- with integrated swing arm and option for Hi-Lift and RotoPax/jerry can, LED light pole.

Jason

P1110250.JPGP1110242.JPGCut up.jpg

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Nice work on that rack!
Any chance the spare carrier will articulate with the door when opening/closing?
Build looks good, but all that weight will more than tax the TF suspension. Shame really, as your built items look impressive, but that suspension will make folks question your.... 'depth'/knowledge/experience as a builder. Not a good place to save a few bucks IMHO, as it can/could skew ones perception of your logic, same with the rotoflex joint. If you cheep out there, what short cuts used building your products? Bumper stronger than the frame, but rotoflex in place?!
I am not trying to be critical or condescending, but this community is typically very loyal to quality products, which yours seem to be. Just hate to see you get ridiculed needlessly....

Trail-Tailor

Observer
Nice work on that rack!
Any chance the spare carrier will articulate with the door when opening/closing?
Build looks good, but all that weight will more than tax the TF suspension. Shame really, as your built items look impressive, but that suspension will make folks question your.... 'depth'/knowledge/experience as a builder. Not a good place to save a few bucks IMHO, as it can/could skew ones perception of your logic, same with the rotoflex joint. If you cheep out there, what short cuts used building your products? Bumper stronger than the frame, but rotoflex in place?!
I am not trying to be critical or condescending, but this community is typically very loyal to quality products, which yours seem to be. Just hate to see you get ridiculed needlessly....

Thanks for the feedback. I still have a few changes on the rack and then onto another rack build. Yes, the swing arm will be integrated/tied into the rear door and operate as one.

For what I'm doing with this rig for now (R&D purposes and high elevation flatland camping). I feel everything is acceptable for the current intended applications.

Please expand on your "all that weight" comment? for the TF heavy load springs. +220# over stock for the front and +660# for the rear.

Jason

Trail-Tailor

Observer
On another note............

After building and looking at this front bumper for a few weeks. I'm not in love with it enough to make another. Looks like the same tired design I see on a majority of the Discos out there. Most will find out, I usually don't build for the conforming masses.

I do build within reason for what my clients want, but this just isn't it for a Trail Tailor product line.

Back to the shop for revisions it will go.

J

Last edited:

XJLI

Adventurer
Terra Firma makes some of the worst springs and shocks you can buy for a Land Rover.

Meh. For the most parts, coils are coils. Shocks are all off the shelf garbage to "good enough" until you go custom valve. There are plenty of trucks riding around with aftermarket chinesium springs and white body shocks that get the job done just fine. Just because theres a green oval badge on the front doesn't mean you need a Yeti cooler certified suspension. Will it be better with Fox 2.0s and RTE springs? Sure. Necessary? No.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven