Clancy '97 D1 Build

XJLI

Adventurer
On another note............

After building and looking at this front bumper for a few weeks. I'm not in love with it enough to make another. Looks like the same tired design I see on a majority of the Discos out there. Most will find out, I usually don't build for the conforming masses.

May I present, for your consideration...

http://www.firstfour.co.uk/item/2175761/discovery-1-winch-bumper-with-driving-lights-

s_700_500_cipqel.jpg

94Discovery

Adventurer
On another note............

After building and looking at this front bumper for a few weeks. I'm not in love with it enough to make another. Looks like the same tired design I see on a majority of the Discos out there. Most will find out, I usually don't build for the conforming masses.

I do build within reason for what my clients want, but this just isn't it for a Trail Tailor product line.

Back to the shop for revisions it will go.

J

This the front with integrated winch and the led ligh in the bumper to give you some ideas ,i know it look ridiculous the tires on this pictures are the standard no need to flame
Never had the chance to start the front .

Ray_G

Explorer
More pics for brain fodder. No trimming of sheet metal on mine, PO did a great job putting this bumper together IMHO.
photo(2).jpgSpruce Cabin 2.jpgIMGP2190.jpg

Trail-Tailor

Observer
More pics for brain fodder. No trimming of sheet metal on mine, PO did a great job putting this bumper together IMHO.
View attachment 321764View attachment 321765View attachment 321766

Thanks Ray. This is getting more towards an end result. I don't think there is enough vertical height available (within the bounds of looking proportionate) between the frame rails for what I'm picturing. I'm just going to have to build it, revise, build and revise.

My imagination may just be trying to create something that can't be done for a Disco.

Jason

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I'm liking the rear- any way to chamfer the corners, and cut a little more body off the slider portion (increase the clearance)?

Trail-Tailor

Observer
I'm liking the rear- any way to chamfer the corners, and cut a little more body off the slider portion (increase the clearance)?

Thanks,

How much chamfer are you wanting? 3/4"? Its doable just drives the $ up. This bumper has zero body cut. Once I get the other bumper design complete, I will look into a high body cut for that clientele base.

I will be working on the swing arm and sliders tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Jason

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Start below the recovery point and taper up 2/3rds of the vertical face (leaving 1/3rd remaining)by the time you reach the first vertical joint (at the '45'), then remain level across the 45 and on to the wheel well. My computer skills are nonexistent, so no drawing, sorry. However, my offroad miles in a D-I are numerous...
I realize this may require some trimming of the sill and of course the rear quarter, but I have installed a dozen Greg Davis rear bumpers on D-IIs, and the result is awesome! And while the D-I is considerably different, it seems it could be accomplished....
Thanks!!

Attachments

• Safari '06 G4 D-II.jpg
    Safari '06 G4 D-II.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 67

Trail-Tailor

Observer
Start below the recovery point and taper up 2/3rds of the vertical face (leaving 1/3rd remaining)by the time you reach the first vertical joint (at the '45'), then remain level across the 45 and on to the wheel well. My computer skills are nonexistent, so no drawing, sorry. However, my offroad miles in a D-I are numerous...
I realize this may require some trimming of the sill and of course the rear quarter, but I have installed a dozen Greg Davis rear bumpers on D-IIs, and the result is awesome! And while the D-I is considerably different, it seems it could be accomplished....
Thanks!!

The wrap around and cuts shouldn't be an issue.

However, it would need to be considerably different in looks to the GD for me to do it. Unless I had his/their full consent. If a fabricator/design is gone its one thing to make changes and move forward IMO. But, if their is even a twinkle that the company may in the future do this with a different model, I won't pursue it.

Have you contacted him about this design for you?

Jason

Cut for RT.jpg

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I wasn't implying to copy Greg's design (or any other)- though he and I are great friends, live a few miles apart and wheeled all over Co and Ut together. His bumper is straight across like your original design. The taper is just a preference I would like to see. Also, Greg's side tapers down towards the wheel well, while I would prefer to stay straight/level as you have shown. The D-II is 10" longer behind the rear wheel, so different issues all together.
Lastly, the bumper could end at the vertical seam of the rear quarter panel, mimicking the factory look a little closer- for my taste/use anyway.
One last thing would be to nix the factory hitch, and integrate a receiver into the bumper. Sadly the orig hitch is welded to the frame, but we have removed them numerous times. Some sort of attachment to the frame would likely be advised if you like this idea.
Thanks for fielding the ideas- may be interested in a couple bumpers pending final design and tire carrier. One for my Eco Challenge Disco, and one for the '99.
PM info/pricing/etc if you prefer.
Cheers!!

Trail-Tailor

Observer
I wasn't implying to copy Greg's design (or any other)- though he and I are great friends, live a few miles apart and wheeled all over Co and Ut together. His bumper is straight across like your original design. The taper is just a preference I would like to see. Also, Greg's side tapers down towards the wheel well, while I would prefer to stay straight/level as you have shown. The D-II is 10" longer behind the rear wheel, so different issues all together.
Lastly, the bumper could end at the vertical seam of the rear quarter panel, mimicking the factory look a little closer- for my taste/use anyway.
One last thing would be to nix the factory hitch, and integrate a receiver into the bumper. Sadly the orig hitch is welded to the frame, but we have removed them numerous times. Some sort of attachment to the frame would likely be advised if you like this idea.
Thanks for fielding the ideas- may be interested in a couple bumpers pending final design and tire carrier. One for my Eco Challenge Disco, and one for the '99.
PM info/pricing/etc if you prefer.
Cheers!!

Copy on all points. Understand though that this particular bumper has been inquired upon 68 times in the last 10 months. Most that know me and my build style (I build for other bases as well) is more of an overland look and function. Very Kaymar looking if you will. I'd say that 90% of the products I've sold over the past 10 years have gone to this type of demographic.

I plan on 2-3 different rear bumpers for the D1 and D2, but this one has received the most demand.

The next style will stop at the rear vertical seam at the back of the quarter panel.

I'll PM you with custom pricing once I get some numbers back from my laser cutter, approx. 10-14 days away..

Thanks again for all the input.

Jason

Trail-Tailor

Observer
Finished up the mock sill slider this morning. The ends are pitched upwards to match the body. I have it right at 1/2" between the bottom door/panel and the slider.

Too much or tighten them up an 1/8" or 3/16" Easy to do.

3" x 2" x .188 rectangle with 3/16" mount plates with slotted holes and 3/8" stainless carriage bolts with nyloc nuts.

Jason

P1110302.JPGP1110301.JPGP1110300.JPGP1110292.JPGP1110293.JPGP1110294.JPGP1110296.JPGP1110297.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven